S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Not really cancelled

Clearly two others posted showing their happy about this news.

Anyway, wish there was more to this then just a short facebook post. Good news regardless.

I would care about this if not for one important thing...... remember how long the first Stalker was in development? This 'announcement' could mean we'll see Stalker 2 round about.... oooo... 2016? With an engine already surpassed by a dozen games....

I would care about this if not for one important thing...... remember how long the first Stalker was in development? This 'announcement' could mean we'll see Stalker 2 round about.... oooo... 2016? With an engine already surpassed by a dozen games....

So? That means there will probably be a new STALKER Complete mod that will modernize the appearance. STALKER's strong point was always the awesome gameplay and immersion, graphics are not that important.

Sorry. Does anyone important actually care about this?

Seriously? Demonstrating pretentiousness is not in itself an argument. If you have a point to make about the series or the game, why not just make it?

I am very happy about this I just hope they don't skimp on quality because of the console versions.

I am very happy about this I just hope they don't skimp on quality because of the console versions.

I'm curious if the console versions are still going to happen, after this was almost canceled would they just stick to PC where they KNOW they'd have an audience?

Well I'm very happy that work on the next STALKER is going to happen. Can't wait to see some details on it!

I smirk at the thought of an XBox version, that would take at least 2 discs.

So? There have been multiple 360 titles that have been multi-disc.

And let's not forget, originally GSC wanted to make a console version of the original, this was way back in like 2003.

If anything, I'd expect them to try to break into the console market if they want to improve profitability but of course like you imply Frosted, there is a risk involved in doing so.

So? That means there will probably be a new STALKER Complete mod that will modernize the appearance. STALKER's strong point was always the awesome gameplay and immersion, graphics are not that important.

Did I say anything about graphics? The AI was amazing when it was first announced and shown... when it finally got released, it was very average. Pathfinding was sometimes a problem too. They promised an AI so good that the population of the maps would go about their thing, differently every time, some randomly wandering about, others interacting, sometimes being killed before you even get there, other times they are fine. What I found was repeated scripts with little or no variation. I've played it several times and had very little in the way of variation, even when deliberately trying to force it. Even after the huge delay the graphics were still really good, even though everyone else had caught up.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and have spent hours scouring the maps and enjoyed the immersion, but it did have its flaws. I advocate gameplay over graphics anyday. I have never bought a game on the basis of 'OMG the graphix are soooo gooood!!!!!! Must have!!!!'. The release of the first Stalker suffered from several things, and to be honest, graphics was probably the only gripe I didn't have.

From what I understand STALKER Complete also did a lot of modernizing under the hood as well, such as AI tweaks and other improvements. Not to say GSC shouldn't be doing that shit themselves, but it's likely to get fixed simply because STALKER is so awesome.

Back