So, now 360 is out and you have one. What do yout think?

IchI

Reaction score
Well, I know they are many people out there who got put off buying a 360 before they where released. I saw the games that where been released and didn't see much point. I didn't actually think I would buy a 360 for a long time until I read an EDGE review about the PS2 launch and generally some articles on next generation consoles. After I found out that PS2 had well... a much worse start than 360 and I actually read some reviews on the 4 core games, well... I couldn't help myself :D I don't know if you went through this like me, but the people who own a 360 on this message board. What changed or set your mind about buying one?

Now, asuming you have one and you own one. Not someone who went into gamestation and made there judgment on 1 single game. What do you think?

I must admit they are some crappy games, but do you think Microsoft actually did a good job? Do you think 360 will be as sucessful as PS2?

Well there some questions for you. I will leave you my own views. My first thought when I bought my 360 was that I had bought a stack of bricks. The box was amazingly heavy and I did not expect so much plastic could be so weighty. After I opened the box and mis took the power pack for the actual console I finally found the reason my arm had nearly fallen of carrying it home. I must admit though, the weight of the console is about the same as the xbox, may be less. Its also very sexy. Asuming you bought the premium edition you will have a nice silver tray.

One of the first things I did with my 360 was shacking it a bit, I wanted to see the build quality. You will generally find that the xbox was a brick. Nothing moved, it was a solid peace of equipment but could be broken proberly as easy as a PS2. Unlike the gamecube, which feels cheap with a semi proffesional look and feels like its going to fall apart. But you can litrally throw it down the stairs and it will not break. Anyway, to my suprise it actually felt sturdy. The added harddisk to the side of the console moved a little bit and I heard a little tick tick on each stacking motion. But the console felt strong.

I pluged everything in and nearly had a heart attack when I was putting the cables into the back of the console. For some reason they give you an industrial power lead to supply your 360 with power. I have never seen anything like it. Its at least 4cm x 4cm socket thingy with locks. All the cables are very thick. But all these cables feel strong and well build. They are made from a nice sturdy rubber rather than cheap shinny plastic. Not only that but they are all a matching grey colour which goes with the console.

Now that everything was plugged in I turned it on. I expected the power button to go in a ltitle but its more of a toach screen style of button if that makes sense? basiclly it doesn't move and you don't have to push it hard. But its beveled into the console to stop you pressing it. It also tells you how many active controllers you have which is nice. There is 2 memory ports with nice covers which don't flap around unless forced and generally stay out of the way. The USB socket is weird. I didn't even realise it was actually a moving flap until at least 2 weeks after I got my console. This is because I saw a picture on the internet of someones USB device inside there 360 and I was like "ohh so thats where it is". This is actually quite nice in my opinion. Basiclly because the console is not cluttered it has very little sockets and most of them are actually covered away. Infact they are only 3 visable sockets in total and thats asuming your looking at the back of the console.

I then finally got my hands on the controller after tearing the green plastic of everything else, so much green plastic its crazy. litrally everything is wrapped with it. I picked up the controller and its very nice. Its very comfortable. Infact its definatly what the xbox pad should have been like and apart from the d-pad its the best pad I have used to date. You don't realise how nice it is to play with wireless controllers until you have them. But although it looked nice. I got to the part where I had to put the battrys in. This was quite funny. I moved my hands towards the button that releases the battry cover on the back of the controller and nothing happened. I then tryed pressing it with some force, it still didn't move. I then got totally pissed of and put my full strength into it and it STILL didn't move I was like WTF WTF WTF let me play. I then resorted to getting my big strong polish flat m8 with incredibly big mussles to open it for me. Which he failed at anyway. Infact I tryed it one more time and it opened fine. I was just confused... May be I had a dodge button that got stuck. Anyway, the battrys went in fine I put the back on and the first thing I did was press the button in the middle to see how it felt. Then suddenly the pad lit up and I heard a vacume. I was like... wtf is that noise. I look down to find its my 360. They are VERY noisy. Its proberly about the noise you get from a very power PC which is a bit obviase as the 360 is pritty much that.

I FINALLY! got to putting my games in and the first game I played was PGR3. I was simply stunned, I went through the day numb. The game is amazing. Taking into consideration I'm a very big fan of the PGR series. SO I'm a little fanboy ish towards that game. But its simply amazing. In career you can do it with any car you like. The AI and all the expected times will change depending on what car you use. Leaving the game very open to well... personal preferance. I also tried to find the best car that was inbalanced but simply could not find one. Which I was disapointed about because the game is hard, lol. But its obviasly a good thing.

I won't talk much about the games really. I would just mention some things. I own 5 titles to date. I would recommend only buying these titles. All the other games suck. These are:

Project Gothem 3 - Very good handling, graphics, every card is different. But somehow the single player seems empty... nothing really pushing u to do the challenges. Apart from gamer score...

Perfect Dark Zero - Strange game... not what I expected at all, the music is amazing. But everything is shinny. I find it hard to see enemys and the control system was a little hard to get used to. This is another game that is generally just ok, but you will find yourself completing everything anyway simply because of gamerscore.

Call of Duty 2 - ZOMFG! if you havn't played this game please do. At first I didn't think it was a console game at all, until I learned how the auto aim system works on the 360. This game is truly amazing. I love it :D

Dead or Alive 4 - Simple fighting game, the reverse system IS! the game, if you do not know how to reverse in Dead or Alive you are playing a very bad tekken. The game was a little inbalanced when it was released but has already been patched. This game is good, but I'm not really a fighting game person.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare - Very polished and very nice game, it mixes all types of games together into one. There are clearly influences from splinter cell and full spectrum warrior. This adds to a VERY good game. Its very challenging and very intense. The action is amazing. The only thing I find remotly weird about this game is that a rifle grenade launcher can blow up a truck. But saying that we all have nukes in 2027 or whatever year its set, this game also makes me never want to visit mexico in my life lol.

Well, that was a long read if you decided to read it all, now for the conclussion. Microsoft have done a good job basiclly. Xbox live adds so much more to your games, comparing scores and even watching replys of other people playing is very common place on all games. Some games seem very rushed in the multiplayer area such as perfect dark. But this is the game not the system. Xbox live is definatly something you need to have with your 360. The hardware and performance of the 360 are very nice. The graphics are amazing. But its not what I would call a next generation console. I'm sticking what EDGE said and its a today console for todays people. It doesn't really take any hurdles in gameplay or change anything, it just looks better. If your wanting anything truly next generation I would wait for the revolution. In all fairness I would say Microsoft have done an extremely good job. Now you have proably heard me mentioning gamer score in the small game reviews. This is because its a very sly thing that will make microsoft a lot of money. Your gamescore is very visual, everyone can see it. It adds an air of compeitive gaming to xbox live. Not only that but you also want a good gamer score. It makes you play your games to the end and it makes u want to unlock everything. But it also gets 360 players going out and buying very easy games to complete lol. I don't know how many people I have spoke to who bought didn't buy King Kong simply because of the 1000 gamerscore lol.

Anyway, to all the people who bad mouthed 360 saying they break they don't work. I would open your eyes a little and read some articles about other console releases. You will find that infact PS2 was a very big failure until about 4 months after its release and infact atm 360 is doing better than it. The consoles are more relible and less of them fail or break than PS2's did on release. All the talk about 360s breaking, scratching CD's yada yada yada is all true. But its on a very small amount of consoles and compared to other console releases in the past there are far less problems with the 360 than they where with others. Mainly because of better build quality these days. But I wouldn't let it put you off.

Oh for everyone who actually read everything I play my 360 on my home theture system and a semi big high quality none HD TV. This is why I find a lot of my games more intense and in your face than others. I like to play my games to there full potional and full volume :D

EDIT: A small thing to add. I have owned every console since the mega drive 16bit. So take that into consideration when I compare consoles to consoles yada yada yada.

Wow. That post made my eyes hurt! Very thorough though, so thanks for that!

Still, its all about games IMHO and Oblivion is really the only 360 title I would possibly want right now and my PC should be at the high-end of running it, so there's no real draw for me at this time. Possibly by the end of the year after Gears of War and other unique and magnificent games debut, but that's a long way off and I still have to get ready for the Vista upgrade and everything that goes with it later this year, so a 360 anytime in the near future is a no-go for me.

Aside from the money issue I'm also waiting for some killer app (have COD2 for PC and love it). Gears of War looks to be it, but it'll be a while and I'll get to see how the other two consoles shape up.

I'm enjoying my 360 a lot. Got just it three Thursdays back, and I'm very impressed with it. PD0 and Condemned along with it. I've not really taken great advantage of my free Gold trial yet, but I plan on getting something done on it, probably a bit of PD0 multiplayer.

To be honest, Resident Evil 4 has been keeping me busier than the 360, but Oblivion and my plug and play kit arrive on the 23rd/24th, so I can expect to become addicted soon. :p

Sounds like you needed to read the manual for the battery insertion though. :|

Now, asuming you have one and you own one. Not someone who went into gamestation and made there judgment on 1 single game. What do you think?

thats me:cool:

its shit:)

Cormeh, don't forget that RE5 is infact coming to the XB360 . ; )

Gargantou said:

The creator of RE1 and RE2 did RE4 and that was his last game in the RE series. It will be intresting to see where they take it who exactly will be making it. I think thats right anyway, I could be wrong. I love most of the RE series tbh. The only one I never took heart to was RE3, people enjoyed it. But I thought that it seemed to action based and was not backed up any mood. On the other hand RE4 did it perfectly :D

Gargantou said:
Don't worry chief, I'm all geared up for RE5. :D

Oblivion will be a cracker though, I'm looking forward to it a lot. I think the reason I've not been playing the 360 as much is because having 2 FPS type games can be a bit dull, even if they are as fun as Condemned. (Smashing junked up fiends with a pipe or sledgehammer = priceless).

[And yes, I realise Oblivion will be from a FP point of view :p]

EDIT: I think I'll get GRAW tomorrow as well, looks stunning!

Yeah I know of Mikami's transfer..
He has to be one of my fav game devs..
I mean, he was Director for RE1, game producer for RE2, producer AND director for Dino Crisis, producer for RE3, producer for RE Code Veronica and not to mention executive producer for both Killer 7 and Onimusha 1, which are some of my fav games..
Here's hoping Capcom reveals his new project with the Clover Studio this E3.:)

I got mine at launch and I'm very pleased with it. Xbox Live is amazing and the Marketplace was a fantastic idea. I just got Ghost Recon last week and it's friggin' amazing. Fight Night 3 is also a very fun game that I'm enjoying. I'll be picking up Oblivion next week for my 360.

All in all, I'm totally satisfied with my purchase. :)

Same, happy here, although i haven't had the time to play it as much as i would have liked. The time spent on it so far though has been enjoyable. One thing i would say however is that i found PD0 somewhat of a letdown.

I'm enjoying the 360. As launches go it's had one of the best I can remember.

Ask this question again once Oblivion has been released :)

I'm waiting until the price drop on the premium system. By then, Oblivion should be down to 50 (or lower) and Saint's Row should be out by then.

this dude is crazy ... I'd never read such a long post, waste of time

as for the 360, well, it sucks. I'm sure the Revolution will blow by it

Whoops.
http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/03/14/2117238.shtml
Today, Sony officially conceded defeat to the recent flurry of rumors and speculation, with Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun reporting the machine has been pushed back until November. There aren't many details out right now, but Sony says issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to their Blu-ray disc drive is the cause of the delay. As the news is coming out of Japan, that creates a worrisome scenario for America and Europe."

I've played it and won't be getting it when it launches here.

Hmmmm, the people who simply said it sucks. Would you care to alaberate? I mean... why does it suck? It doesn't help that you complain about reading so much then simple reply with "it sucks". I don't wanna sound like an 360 fan boy. But it would be nice to hear :D

OBLIVION!!!!! I have the X360, and I've never been more excited about a game. The only time I was this excited was when HL2 was about to come out.

Back