Some more new campaign ideas

Reaction score
I know how most forums take to people who don't post a whole lot and then make a thread spouting their ideas, so let me just say this - I have no interest in becoming part of "the crew" here, I just want to discuss a great game with other people who like it. Reading the Steam L4D forums is like having a pineapple enema. Way too many idiots there who are calling L4D a "let down" or Valve's "worst game", etc. It's so annoying and untrue, L4D is great, I love it.

Anyway, that said, I liked some of the ideas in the other thread offering new campaign ideas, and came up with a few of my own. I'm trying to avoid any similarities to the other thread, any that occur are coincidental.

1. Dead of the Class
You start in a small suburban neighborhood. It's a nice place, clean houses, white picket fences, well kept lawns and nice cars in the drive ways. Signs indicate that there are survivors holed up in the local high school gymnasium under the protection of the National Guard, so that's where you're headed. On the way you pass through a small downtown area. You know, the old fashioned kind, 100 year old buildings, really old time feel. You pass through several store fronts to circumvent military and situational road blocks. Eventually you reach the high school only to find that the survivors there have been over run by the zombies. A message is being broadcast over a radio asking for any survivors to answer. When you do, you're informed that a helicopter will land in the football stadium in 15 minutes. You must fight your way out of the school and onto the field to escape on the helicopter.

2. Shop 'Till You Drop Dead
Word amongst the survivors is that there is a group of people staked out in a large, barricaded department store like a Meijer or a Walmart. You begin in a small house that has been boarded up. Deciding that staying in the house is a bad choice due to the lack of supplies, the survivors make their way to the store. This is a more commercialized area, so you'll pass through storm drains (not the massive sewers like in No Mercy), small industrial business properties (equipment yards, junk yard), and eventually make it to the store where many cars are parked hastily at the front door. Clearly a large battle took place here, there are many dead bodies and a lot of blood everywhere. The barricades on the front doors have been torn down and clearly the survivors have been overwhelmed by the horde. I'd love to have the survivors meet NPC's in the game, but I think Valve left them out for certain reasons. Once again the radio asks for a response. This time it's a good Samaritan trucker on the frequency checking to see if the store is still a safe haven. The survivors inform him that it's been overrun, and he offers to pick you up as long as you can jump in the truck while it's moving. The truck will drive slowly through the parking lot and you have to climb into the back before he gets too scared and leaves you behind.

3. To Protect and Sever
Safety is in the form of a police station this time around. The survivors know that it's the most likely place they'll find a bit of security, so that's where they head. This time you're in a pretty run down Detroit-ish town. Many abandoned houses and buildings. One detour takes you through an abandoned car assembly plant. You'll also travel through a restaurant, an abandoned mansion and the first two floors of a corporate office building. Arriving at the police station you'll come across the ending of a battle between the police, a few survivors and the horde. Of course nobody else survives, so you hop on the radio to the state HQ and they sent a patrol boat down the river to rescue you.

4. Highway to Hell
The National Guard is evacuating immune survivors on buses at a local bus station. You have to travel through a major downtown area, similar to Manhattan, New York to reach it. You'll go through all manner of buildings and stores here, including a fire station. And yes, the pole is use-able. At the bus station, the final evacuation run has already been made but one bus makes a return trip to retrieve the last of the National Guard who already have been killed/turned into zombies. The driver began to fuel the bus but retreated in panic as zombies swarmed him, so you have to activate the pump and defend yourselves while it fills, pretty much the same as Dead Air.

Unless Valve incorporates NPC's into the game, unfortunately my ideas are limited to never actually SEEING anybody else alive.. though it would greatly expand the cinematic flair and help to differentiate the actual proceedings of the levels.

Anyway, those are just some of my ideas.

Any news if there WILL be new campaigns in the future? These four are already getting somewhat old.

They have mentioned it, actually. I don't see why they wouldn't anyway!

They've speculated on giving all types of free content and I imagine we'll get a little bit of everything.

They had that Eurogamer live chat recently and that was neat. People want vehicles that you can drive and they thought of a boat inside of a zoo. Only the boat was in waters with zombie dolphins. There was zombie dogs at one point as well. I would be thrilled to find zoo keepers and the occasional hot dog vendor with zombie animals in a zoo map.

i like the idea of the football pitch, hordes of zombies filling the stadium and you jumping on
the heli at the last moment.

i like the idea of the football pitch, hordes of zombies filling the stadium and you jumping on
the heli at the last moment.

Yea, something just seems cool about running across a football field passing all of the distance markers while a horde of zombies are chasing you.

Back