Sorry to ask, but what happened to "Physgun" thread?

Chode

Reaction score
I make a post, wake up the next morning and it's gone ;(

If moderators deleted it, ok. No use whinging unless I want a banning :borg:

But I been getting a lot of weird page and server errors recently while browsing here... wondering if it vanished into the great oblivion by pure computer error? Just kinda hoping I guess.....

Might have been moved to another area. Be a poor state of affairs if it was deleted when there's some kid posting stuff from the stolen files in the art section and some kid on the map section telling people to download the files *shrugs*... I bet its in the general editing part, along with the junk yard thread that came after it.. Unless someone is trying to hide who thought of what first, which is a bit lame and not the sort of thing I'd have thought this place would do :)

Search comes up negative, Fenric... it ain't on these forums anywhere... at least I couldn't find it.

Did anyone happen to dump a copy of the thread to their computer before it was canned/lost? There were some good ideas in there I was going to write down today....just my luck

Originally posted by Chode
Search comes up negative, Fenric... it ain't on these forums anywhere... at least I couldn't find it.

Did anyone happen to dump a copy of the thread to their computer before it was canned/lost? There were some good ideas in there I was going to write down today....just my luck

I mostly remember the pirate stuff, the rest of the idea's from the thread can be found in the other junkmod thread now. Or pretty much all of them anyway. I'm not sure if there was anything else in there, just technical stuff working out if certain things could even be possible. discussing how the water would behave and how an actual boat could work or not, if parts could be purchased in a mod to rebuild them when they were damaged. discussion about how much detail should shattered planks of wood have. Something about sharks. A mention of a jeep with armor being attached, which started off the whole idea of customising vehicles, a mention of then doing bridges and stuff as idea's to your mates junkyard idea's. There was probably loads more but I think a good deal of it can be found on the other thread now. I can probably remember the other stuff if I'm given a hint at stuff

If it has been deleted then it should still exist somewhere, just not available for mere mortals just mods :) hey maybe they want the idea's for themselves hehehe

Did you try going to members and doing a search of all your past posts.. It might come up with the location then if its around anywhere?

Double negative, Fenric. That also means that my total posts has gone down and I am now that much further than been a zombie....curse you all who discussed that which is not allowed to be discussed within that thread.

Moderators, if through some variety of luck there still does exist a copy of the thread somewhere, can you please PM it to me?

well I guess there's nothing stopping a new thread starting up to cover what was discussed before, only this time without talk of the stolen files :)

I'm pretty sure I heard a mod once say that deleted files are kept but only they can see them. And read one saying if it was a mistake they could bring it back, which sounds like their not completely deleted, just removed to another area that can't be seen along with all the others

there's also the possibility it got archieved, it did get pretty big

better wait for official word from the moderators till we start a new thread.... Oh well, I'm taking off in a couple of hours... studying interstate and won't be back until late Wednesday..... I guess I'll have to wait to know what happened

Guess it went to thread purgatory, for having equal measures good and evil parts. It's a darn shame.

I'd just posted something at the end of it about friction on barrels in the water. Did you read it? If you didn't, just say and I'll post it here. It's legal, so the mods won't delete it.

I'm interested, Brian. Go ahead. I'll also repost what I added on the end.

Theoretically, I think I know how boats could be propelled.

In the e3 movie, we can see what appears to be a gauss gun on the buggy.

This gun could push objects in half life 1.

We would need to place an indestructible material on the back of the boat, and get someone behind the boat to charge up and fire a gauss gun. Chew up ammo fast, but would definitely push it.

Or use the physics gun which can throw objects, grab the back of the boat, and throw it. Possibly the person would be thrown backwards instead....if this happens then if they tried bracing themselves in front of an object they'd probably be crushed.

I have also theorised how to make a home made land vehicle in the game. 4 barrels on their sides, braced with 4 planks of wood around it to encage them. Connect a "deck" to sit above the barrels. This could be "pushed", and the barrels should roll naturally. To stop it you would counter-"push" it, from the front. It would die on uneven terrain, a barrel could easily be lost, hence the whole structure would lose balance.

Right. It's already been demonstrated (by Gabe, I think) that if you stand on a barrel in a source engine game and walk backwards, the accurately simulated friction will cause you and the barrel to move forwards, like those circus performer dudes.

Now, I'd imagine that, if you stood on a barrel floating on it's side in the water and walked backwards, the barrel would move slowly forwards, with you on top. Like that sport with the logs.

Extend this logically to the idea of several floating barrels attached to axles, which are in turn connected to a boat hull. If there is a person on each barrel, all walking backwards, we should be able to get quite a turn of speed...

I think.:E

Also, in the E3 demo with the buggy, when the Gauss Gun is fired, (You're fired!!!) the buggy pushed backwards. Hmm...
Well, another way to propel a boat is make a propeller on the bottom. Maybe the water physics aren't that diverse, but perhaps firing the Gauss would generate downforce when the boat encounters a wave and the Gauss is fired, or be launched into the air at the beginning of a wave. I imagine that Havok is capable of calculating air pressure and water action and reaction, so... yeah...

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Right. It's already been demonstrated (by Gabe, I think) that if you stand on a barrel in a source engine game and walk backwards, the accurately simulated friction will cause you and the barrel to move forwards, like those circus performer dudes.

Now, I'd imagine that, if you stood on a barrel floating on it's side in the water and walked backwards, the barrel would move slowly forwards, with you on top. Like that sport with the logs.

Extend this logically to the idea of several floating barrels attached to axles, which are in turn connected to a boat hull. If there is a person on each barrel, all walking backwards, we should be able to get quite a turn of speed...

I think.:E

barrels dont float. well unless they're empty, air tight, and made of aluminum....

This is a GAME. They can be designed, IN THE GAME, to float, if we want them to.

All clear?:E

Originally posted by Brian Damage
This is a GAME. They can be designed, IN THE GAME, to float, if we want them to.

All clear?:E

then just make a HL1 mod, barrels do float in hl1.

<under breath, whilst cleaning fingernails>

"No friction in HL1. Only in HL2. Dum de dum de dum"...

<walks off>

What does this have to do with Half-Life 2?

Moved.

Back