State of the Half-Life Union, 2010

Reaction score
Tonight marks the 3-year anniversary of the release of Half-Life 2: Episode Two. I'm here to give a bit of a refresher on the situation, a bit of a "State of the Union", and then try to provide some inspiration before we look ahead to the release of Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

Many fans are frustrated with the long development time of Episode Three and the lack of communication from Valve regarding this title. Of the many great things Valve is known for in the gaming industry, communication with the fanbase is not one of them. When it comes to community interaction, Valve is not Activision Blizzard; instead think more along the lines of Square Enix. Valve prefers to keep its inner workings very close to the vest. Most communications with the public are one-way proclamations from Valve to the fans in general, with any two-way communication being very tightly controlled and only exchanged with very carefully vetted interviewers. Recently, learning from some unfortunate slips of information from Doug Lombardi and Mark Laidlaw, Valve has started having multiple employees be present during any interview, as sort of a buddy-system to make sure that one Valve employee doesn't get caught up in the moment and get careless with what he tells the interviewer.

Interviewer: How’s Episode 3 coming along? You’ve been quiet on it for a while now.

Gabe Newell: Doug is shaking his head at me, so I don’t get to talk about it.

- 2008 Games Convention in Leipzig

If you sense that you are being left in the dark, the positive side is that your feelings are reliable. Without the slightest hint of an ETA on the title's completion, the fanbase has actually been left in the dark. Even a hypothetical announcement that development has been cancelled or otherwise halted, or perhaps are rough measure of completion would be a glimmer of light in the bleak expanse. Valve has made sure to give reassurance that the title IS still being worked on. The fans ARE literally alone in the dark, and some are scared. I can understand this.

Now, I'm sure just about everyone out there knows not to get their hopes up expecting anything longer than a 6-8 hour adventure from Episode Three when it does finally ship. This isn't our first time at the rodeo, we accept that, and we are okay with that, because we know that it will be a polished experience like none other. Your average development studio takes only 1-2 years to turn out a 10-12 hour expansion or sequel. Valve didn't just begin working on Episode Three once Episode Two shipped. Before work on Episode One began back in 2005, the development team split into cabals so that work could be completed in parallel to increase efficiency. By the time Episode Three ships, Valve will have spent at least 5 years on its development. We can be assured of an experience so polished you might blind yourself if you turn it at the right angle.

The aforementioned polish is one reason why Valve's games are short short yet take so long to produce. Simple math indicates that Valve spends 4-5 times as much effort on each aspect of game development than those other companies. The final product certainly bears out this conclusion, but I think that reality of the situation is actually more complex that most people think.

One thing most fans don't realize is that Valve constructs and then rebuilds the entire game many times over before we ever see a release. Even the original Half-Life 2 featured no less than 5 iterations of the Combine Citadel before we arrived at the version we all loved to fry the Elite Overwatch therein.

Another thing which may be more obvious than the last point, but oft forgotten, is that Valve Corporation is a Privately Held Company. There does not exist the pressure from shareholders to make a release each year. Not only is there no shareholder pressure, there also isn't any monetary pressure, either. Gabe Newell is a "Microsoft Millionaire"; the simple interest he earns from his savings accounts is enough for him to eke out a comfortable existence for the rest of his life, even if Valve never sells another game. Gabe surely is the quintessential playboy!

For everyone employed at Valve who is NOT wealthy enough to coast through the rest of their lives, there is little to worry about. Gabe can afford to pay their salaries, competitive in the industry as they are, year after year after year. The atmosphere at Valve can be likened much more to a family than a traditional company. The men and women hard at work on Episode Three, and all the other Valve hits we enjoy, are really more like extended family to Gabe. As long as they are all enjoying their time and eachothers' company, actually releasing games is just a triviality.

Perhaps some of you have played traditional tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons with a group of friends. No one intends for the stories and adventures, however great they may be, to become commercialized or otherwise leave the living room. As long as you can have a good time among friends, that's all that really matters. This is very much how it is for Valve: they are a group of close-knit friends, a group of very, very, very talented friends. Marc Laidlaw spins epic yarns of inter-dimensional consequence, and the friends at Valve set to work, designing, modeling, programming, building. Then they playtest their experience, eat drink and be merry, go back home to their families with a nice chunk of change from their salaries, and begin anew the next week.

Whether or not the public shares in the experience doesn't matter very much. We will never get to learn the true stories behind the Half-Life universe which are shared behind closed doors. We will never get to experience the G-Man's background as a young Combine slug who dreamed of becoming a man, yet whose future had already been determined by his father to become an Advisor. The young slug who, in rebellion against his society, cloned Gordon Freeman's father into an appropriate host body for himself, and would go on to spark a war which would shake the multiverse at its foundations.

No, that is for Gabe and his friends to share amongst eachother in private company. And we should not begrudge them this or accuse them of being selfish, because it is not like they hang it over our heads as in the Greek myth of Tantalus. No, for the past 3 years, Valve has never said a word of Episode Three unless specifically pressed for it by the fans, and even then they have gracefully declined to say any more.

What can you do about this as fans? Well, the quickest way to experience Gordon's latest adventures would be to submit a job application to Valve http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/ and get hired. Remember that Valve only hires the best of the best, requiring many years of industry experience (at other companies, of course.) The first item on the list, an Artist, only requires 3+ years of industry experience. Chances are good that by the end of those 3 years Episode Three will still not be released, so you will not have wasted your time. The only thing separating you from Valve's inner circle and the Half-Lifey goodness therein is you own motivation and initiative.

If this isn't a direction you can stomach, don't feel ashamed. It doesn't necessarily make you any less of a good fan, you will just need to find some other way to tide yourself over before a release which, lets face it, in a world of Duke Nukem Forevers and Black Mesas, may never ever come about. But don't lose heart, you can still actively participate in the world of Half-Life yourself. The SDK is right before you! Come up with your own story, involve your friends! If you're worried about someone poopoo-ing your story as not being canon, just don't open up to the public about it. Take Valve's lead and politely decline to discuss your private workings.

Either way, be thankful that you were able to gain a footing in the Half-Life Universe, because there are many other great stories throughout time which, unlike Half-Life, will have never left closed doors.

Instead of episode 3, we get a store where we can buy hats.

I hate to say it, but I'm kind-of over Half-Life... It's been so long since any juicy bits came out about it, I'm just bored with the story at this point... I'm sure as soon as they release something it'll rekindle my interest, but right now I'm more interested in Starcraft and Duke Nukem games.

yeah. i love half life. ive got years left to enjoy the already released awesome titles. especially with the release of cinematic mods and upgrades. im anticipating half life 3. and ill wait 20 more years if i have to. it doesnt bother me valve doesnt fill me in 100 percent. its their project, their business. just as i love half life, half life 2, hl2 ep1, hl2 ep2, so ill love others of their releases. regardless of the wait. so my suggestion for the impatient is to sit back, relax, and let valve make the titles the way they do. awesomely. as for episode three. one and two were nothing new to me. just hl2. slightly modified. not upgraded. idk if ep 3 will have a superior engine or what. but after ep1 and 2, i have no reason to believe it will. To be honest, the story lacks EXTREME continuity. everytime i encounter a character, the seem to know less and less about whats going on. i just want a character who is useful to me. who can fill me in. anyway. adore hl. great hopes for future releases. God bless.

Now, I'm sure just about everyone out there knows not to get their hopes up expecting anything longer than a 6-8 hour adventure from Episode Three when it does finally ship. This isn't our first time at the rodeo, we accept that, and we are okay with that

No, I'm not okay with that. Imo, a 6-8 hour episode with the same graphical assets and gameplay after more than 3 years is totally unacceptable. That's why I think that Valve will skip Episode 3 for a brand new full-length Half-Life game. Call it HL3, or whatever.

No, I'm not okay with that. Imo, a 6-8 hour episode with the same graphical assets and gameplay after more than 3 years is totally unacceptable. That's why I think that Valve will skip Episode 3 for a brand new full-length Half-Life game. Call it HL3, or whatever.

Could be the very reason why they are taking so long; exploring the possibilities of included or replacing graphical assets and gamplay so as to not make the latest game stale right out the box.

I hate to say it, but I'm kind-of over Half-Life... It's been so long since any juicy bits came out about it, I'm just bored with the story at this point... I'm sure as soon as they release something it'll rekindle my interest, but right now I'm more interested in Starcraft and Duke Nukem games.

Yup, Mass Effect 3 has completely diverted my anticipation.

Sadly this. Though it is still the greatest video game series for me, so much has happened between 2007 and now. Maybe that's Valve's plan: "Forget about us and have fun with other stuff. We'll tell you when we have something".

Right now the closest thing Half-Life related on the horizon is Portal 2. Even though they said they'd rather keep it separate from Gordon and Co., it's still set in the same universe and Valve is infamous for leaving vague clues in their releases.

Agree with most things stated above, but got a question...

Aren't there supposed to be three big surprises coming? Has anybody confirmed that any of them are/not Half-Life related? If one was meant to be microtransactions in TF2... well, that just sucks.

Sadly this. Though it is still the greatest video game series for me, so much has happened between 2007 and now. Maybe that's Valve's plan: "Forget about us and have fun with other stuff. We'll tell you when we have something".

Right now the closest thing Half-Life related on the horizon is Portal 2. Even though they said they'd rather keep it separate from Gordon and Co., it's still set in the same universe and Valve is infamous for leaving vague clues in their releases.

I'm wondering if they have big plans for one of these games... Cause I look at Starcraft, and Starcraft 2, and you know these games are going to be among the most popular for YEARS, even when they first come out. I just don't feel the same when it comes to Half-Life. Half-Life 1, sure, but Half-Life 2 got boring quick to me, and same with Portal. Maybe it's just me, but I think that focusing more on the gameplay aspect than the story could be beneficial to the series. I could be wrong, but I feel like the games could use a little more pizzas on the gameplay front.

Then again, maybe I just need to play the games again. I just don't see them lasting as long as Starcraft, or Duke Nukem 3D.

About a year after Episode 2 came out, I just gave up on PC. I was about to sell my gaming rig, when I remembered I need to wait and find out how HL2 ends...in a desperate attempt to maintain interest in PC gaming, I've loved COD4, been played a sucker for MW2, and just been raped without lube in APB. I'm losing faith in the PC gamers, and have lost all faith in Valve.

I'd just buy an Xbox and call it good if I didnt suck at shooters using their controls...

What kind of anti-depressant are you taking that enabled you to type this?

I like how Valve fans have carefully cultivated this admirable cognitive dissonance over the years... the hoops we have to jump through to continually justify Valve continually ignoring the people who got them to the top! Every soundbite that comes from Gabeco. is expected to be swallowed wholesale (and usually is.) Yes, we know that your games are high quality, Valve, but lets not pretend that's why your games are late. Your games are late because, like many companies in a midlife crisis, you've found a cash cow (Steam) and stuck to it like a stubborn barnacle. What was initially a distribution mechanism for your games is now controlling the future direction of your company, and that scares me. If the studio that gave me some of the happiest memories of my childhood is only in it for the money, what are we to expect from the rest?

Yeah, Steam is awesome, rah rah it saved PC gaming etc. But there are very specific reasons why I liked HL and HL2 when they were first released, and even though there may be thousands of games on Steam, none of them gets me even mildly excited these days. Valve, you understood the art of making a good shooter and I felt that I could count on you to deliver that. HL is pretty much the only reason I kept an interest in gaming all these years. I'm sure a lot of L4D and TF2 fans are really happy with you now, and that's great, but to me it feels like a betrayal.

Let's kill any potential argument right here - Portal was a very innovative game, and I look forward to the sequel, but I don't think anyone can argue that Half-life fans deserve to be left in the dark like this after the kind of support we've shown them. Again, I'm not asking them to make the game I want, when I want. All I'm asking for is a little communication. If you're doing something insanely new, or facing some difficulty, or simply bored of making Half-life games please tell us. You can't expect us to be emotionally invested in the series when you refuse to honour that investment. :frown:

(I'm pissed if you can't tell)

Welp, make a longer episode then.

Make no more episodes.

All I'm asking for is a little communication. If you're doing something insanely new, or facing some difficulty, or simply bored of making Half-life games please tell us.

I'm with you on this, but you know the marketing laws: the more you are silent, the more you build the mystery, the more you build the hype, the more you sell. Also, add the reference to some "surprise" from time to time, and you'll see the fans explode with anticipation. Yes, Valve is playing a cruel marketing game with us, but I'm a patient guy.

I like how Valve fans have carefully cultivated this admirable cognitive dissonance over the years... the hoops we have to jump through to continually justify Valve continually ignoring the people who got them to the top! Every soundbite that comes from Gabeco. is expected to be swallowed wholesale (and usually is.) Yes, we know that your games are high quality, Valve, but lets not pretend that's why your games are late. Your games are late because, like many companies in a midlife crisis, you've found a cash cow (Steam) and stuck to it like a stubborn barnacle. What was initially a distribution mechanism for your games is now controlling the future direction of your company, and that scares me. If the studio that gave me some of the happiest memories of my childhood is only in it for the money, what are we to expect from the rest?

Yeah, Steam is awesome, rah rah it saved PC gaming etc. But there are very specific reasons why I liked HL and HL2 when they were first released, and even though there may be thousands of games on Steam, none of them gets me even mildly excited these days. Valve, you understood the art of making a good shooter and I felt that I could count on you to deliver that. HL is pretty much the only reason I kept an interest in gaming all these years. I'm sure a lot of L4D and TF2 fans are really happy with you now, and that's great, but to me it feels like a betrayal.

Let's kill any potential argument right here - Portal was a very innovative game, and I look forward to the sequel, but I don't think anyone can argue that Half-life fans deserve to be left in the dark like this after the kind of support we've shown them. Again, I'm not asking them to make the game I want, when I want. All I'm asking for is a little communication. If you're doing something insanely new, or facing some difficulty, or simply bored of making Half-life games please tell us. You can't expect us to be emotionally invested in the series when you refuse to honour that investment. :frown:

(I'm pissed if you can't tell)

Agree 100%. This is just silly. The sales are more likely to decrease the longer they're quiet about it. I have almost completely moved on from the series. I have more fun with Duke nukem 3D right now than I do with either episode of Half-Life. When it comes down to it, it's still a game. And to me it feels like they put more story than gameplay value into it. If you ant to make a story, write a book. Sitting through dialogue in a game through the first run, but at this point I can recite the sequences in my sleep, and nothing bores me quite as much any more. I'd rather have cut scenes that I can skip than be stuck in a room cause I'm supposed to listen to two people talk.

And to me it feels like they put more story than gameplay value into it. If you ant to make a story, write a book. Sitting through dialogue in a game through the first run, but at this point I can recite the sequences in my sleep, and nothing bores me quite as much any more. I'd rather have cut scenes that I can skip than be stuck in a room cause I'm supposed to listen to two people talk.

To me, this is the entire appeal of the Half-Life series. If I want something I can just play through for a distraction, I go for Age of Empires II or any of the free-to-play MMORPGs I've got lying around; Half-Life I treat more like rewatching a favorite movie or rereading a favorite book. Yeah, the bits where I get to shoot things are fun in their own way, but more importantly, they connect the plot points together.

I guess my perspective is a little different because a.) I'm still a newcomer to the Half-Life universe and b.) I'm not much of an FPS gamer otherwise, because I do value a strong narrative above the gameplay, or I at least want there to be a good balance. As far as Episode Three (or Half-Life 3, if they're giving up on episodes, although I'd hope for more than 6 hours of game after all this time...) is concerned, I don't care so much about new weapons, monsters, or graphics as just finding out what the heck happens to everyone.

To me, this is the entire appeal of the Half-Life series. If I want something I can just play through for a distraction, I go for Age of Empires II or any of the free-to-play MMORPGs I've got lying around; Half-Life I treat more like rewatching a favorite movie or rereading a favorite book. Yeah, the bits where I get to shoot things are fun in their own way, but more importantly, they connect the plot points together.
Completely agree. But it would be nice to have the option to skip the dialogue.

For me, the story is the most important thing in a game and the main reason why I love Half Life. The story is amazing. Plus, I love dystopia futuristic type settings. I feel the story and game-play are pretty equal in Half Life. They do a good job at balancing it out. Halo on the other hand (great concept and potentially great story) but very repetitive when it comes to game-play. It's good for multiplayer but one player? Not for me.

Completely agree. But it would be nice to have the option to skip the dialogue.

I agree about Halo, it's completely boring, but mainly for the lack of variety in scenario and enemies, and therefor, story. I guess it comes down to taste, and I do admire Half-Life's level design, but it feels like Gameplay is an after-thought. I dunno, maybe that's just the kind of game it is and I've forgotten, but I just feel so bored with it all now, and i wish I wasn't. I enjoyed it so much the first few times I wish I could go back to that. Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, Duke Nukem, Zelda, and a few other games I can't remember, but I'm sure of, have amazing replay value, without other scenarios added. Just because the Gameplay and level design is so great. I guess my tastes have changed.

EDIT: Correction, Starcraft and Warcraft have infinite scenarios. Just ex them off for that part.

Replay value is what bugs me. I remember the first two or three times I played Half-Life, I enjoyed it so much. The other countless times I've played it it's.. it's just not the same experience! Same with HL2 and the episodes. Damn how I wish I could erase my Half-Life memories and play the game again, for the sake of it!

No, I disagree. Sure, if they want to take their time on it, that's fine, and we as fans will wait. What isn't acceptable is that they refuse completely to give us even a shred of news or updates. A lot of fans like me are disillusioned by their unacceptable handling of the situation. We've spent a lot of time and money playing their games, and a lot of us don't have either in abundance. I think the least that we're due is an honest update. It's been 3 years since Episode Two. It's a reasonable request.

And some of you are right when you say that we're gonna buy it anyway when it comes out; this is true for many "disillusioned" fans like myself. But I still can't help but feel a bit mistreated. Call it whining, call it complaining, but I call it holding an entity accountable.

No, I disagree. Sure, if they want to take their time on it, that's fine, and we as fans will wait. What isn't acceptable is that they refuse completely to give us even a shred of news or updates. A lot of fans like me are disillusioned by their unacceptable handling of the situation. We've spent a lot of time and money playing their games, and a lot of us don't have either in abundance. I think the least that we're due is an honest update. It's been 3 years since Episode Two. It's a reasonable request.

And some of you are right when you say that we're gonna buy it anyway when it comes out; this is true for many "disillusioned" fans like myself. But I still can't help but feel a bit mistreated. Call it whining, call it complaining, but I call it holding an entity accountable.

All I'm going to say is that since I already know what happens in the story, I have no desire to go back an play it again. I loved Episode 2 when I first went through it, but there are so many parts with dialogue, and it seems more story based, that the gameplay just feels repetitive. Over 65% of the whole game is spent in the car. I really disliked the vehicle levels in Half-Life 2, and I get it, it's the only way that makes sense to get to white forest... But the train could have crashed closer, or something... I just felt like I was eating leftovers with Episode 2, so to speak. The food's still good, but it was a lot better when it was fresh. Know what I mean?

My guess is it take so long because they are working on a movie.
They talked about movie lately and the animator of Gollum is now working at Valve.

My guess is it take so long because they are working on a movie.
They talked about movie lately and the animator of Gollum is now working at Valve.

Imo, the story in HL works as a first-person shooter, but I don't see it working in theaters. It's complex, deep and original as a cheap b-movie, to me.

I think it's pretty obvious they're not going to make a game called Half Life 2: Episode 3.

They're going to code a new engine, bring out Half Life 3, continue the story and blow our minds in doing so. It's the Valve way.

I know this game has been compared to duke nukem forever before and is frowned upon, but what if vavle isn't releasing any info about ep3 or hl3 whichever it is because they dont want people to hype it up at all and then it does turn into dnf. I know that there are still 2 more so called suprises coming from valve but i just dont think hl is one of them.

Back