Steam will let me CS 1.6 beta?

zitbug

Reaction score
I heard that CS 1.6 beta was an exclusive download for selected test users.

Does STEAM let you upgrade your current retail CS to 1.6?

:dork:

Right now, as far as I know, anyone can use Steam, and therefore, anyone can play cs 1.6 beta. That will change tomorrow when the beta ends, and a valid CD key is required to use Steam. Your CS retail CD key should work with Steam. Steam won't update your retail version of CS, it will download CS again to a separate location.

To sum it up, you will be able to play CS 1.6 when the beta ends.

Excellent.

Separate location hey?

Even better - so I don't have to re-install my current retail CS; that's a load off my mind.

BTW, what is CS 1.6 like?

Some of the fundamental UI stuff has been completely reworked, all using VGUI2 I believe (I can't wait to see HL2's VGUI2 interface). Pressing ~ brings up a console window, instead of taking up half the screen. There's also an in-game server browser. Demo playback has been greatly enhanced, so that the demo acts more like a video being played back. Of course, there's also the new weapons and the riot shield, but overall gameplay hasn't changed that much.

I've also read that the bug where you lose sound when CS gets minimized has been fixed.

From a UI and usability perspective, it's the most progressive CS update ever, and well worth the update.

About the "separate location", Steam stores Counter-Strike in C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\counter-strike. See my post ("If you don't like where Steam stores its content...") to change this to a more accessible location.

Back