The Day the Earth Stood Still - First Official Trailer

joule

Tank
Reaction score
Release Date: December 12, 2008
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Scott Derrickson
Screenwriter: David Scarpa
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connolly, Kathy Bates, Jaden Smith, Jon Hamm, Kyle Chandler
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller
Official Website: DTESSmovie.com
Plot Summary: "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is 20th Century Fox's contemporary reinvention of its 1951 classic. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an alien whose arrival on our planet triggers a global upheaval. As governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance, a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson get caught up in his mission ? and come to understand the ramifications of his being a self-described "friend to the Earth."

Hi-Res trailer
Hi-Def trailer

I think either they're not showing him, or he's no longer quite the big robot.

Gort is at the very end. You can see him shooting the laser thing.

Not much more than a silhouette though, so I think they're not showing him for a reason.

I'm downloading the original just because the original was amazing as well. I hope this lives up to it.

No.

No.

NO!

How can they do this?

You aren't so good at interpretting posts are you? You just spelled out my joke.

There's a big difference between inference and implication.

Go on? I made a joke about how America likes to **** up everything, the exact joke that you just spelled out. Very simple situation here, no need to add useless terms to try and cover up the fact that you missed it dear sir.

What else would I mean by "America is at work"?

Saving the world?

Making cheeseburgers?

Go on? I made a joke about how America likes to **** up everything, the exact joke that you just spelled out. Very simple situation here, no need to add useless terms to try and cover up the fact that you missed it dear sir.

What else would I mean by "America is at work"?

Saving the world?

Making cheeseburgers?

Come back when you've worked it out.

It was "Putting those brits in their place", evidently.

Oh yes, because that's what you did. I have obviously been bested by your unassailably superior intellect. Or, I dunno, maybe you just suck at making "jokes"

If it was a sucky joke, why did you spell it out for everyone?

Take it easy pi. You're getting harsh.

How can I put this in terms that you'll understand? Let's see...

Ah yes - it wasn't even slightly apparent that it was a "joke" until you claimed that it was one. Given your history of pointless antagonism towards me, it was entirely reasonable to assume that you were having one of your usual petty digs.

It wasn't even slightly apparant? lol

Once again I ask you, what could I have possibly meant by "America is at work"

This has nothing to do with our 'history'. When was the last time I even attacked you? I thought we were both over eachother, but apparantly you still harbor some resent. That's unfortunate.

If you're going to let this degrade into flames, I'll have no part of it.

It wasn't even slightly apparant? lol

Once again I ask you, what could I have possibly meant by "America is at work"

This has nothing to do with our 'history'. When was the last time I even attacked you? I thought we were both over eachother, but apparantly you still harbor some resent. That's unfortunate.

If you're going to let this degrade into flames, I'll have no part of it.
Nice attempt at scrambling up to the moral high ground there :)

You can read whatever you like into it - I'm not particularly interested.

Lol, Pi is the grumpiest dude I know.

I'm gonna have to say that I thought that was the joke that Vegeta was making when I read it, but this much discussion on it now seems ridiculous.

Back on the topic, I'm genuinely curious about this movie. I'm pretty cynical about most updates of a classic like this, but I think this might be one worth doing if they do it well. The basic story still poses some good questions, but most of the rest of the film is amazingly dated (Gort is awesome still, but its that kind of retro-I-can't-believe-that-was-scary awesome).

You want to play that game? Sounds good. Here's mine:

Nice attempt at accusing me of attemping to 'pettily dig' at you. I didn't much appreciate that, and I think it was uncalled for.

Are you going to interpret every post of mine that is in reply to yours as a petty dig? That would be problematic. Whose fault is it that you interpret everything I post as an attack on you? There's certainly nothing I can do about that notion of yours, so I think you should just keep your thoughts to yourself if you want to avoid these discussions which make both of us look bad.

You've certainly made more direct digs at me in this thread than I've made on you. Telling me I suck at making jokes... come on, was that necessary? In fact, I've made no digs in this thread, only ones you've imagined.

Cheers, take it easy, etc. Glad some other people have shared their opinion.

You want to play that game? Sounds good. Here's mine:

Nice attempt at accusing me of attemping to 'pettily dig' at you. I didn't much appreciate that, and I think it was uncalled for.

Are you going to interpret every post of mine that is in reply to yours as a petty dig? That would be problematic. Whose fault is it that you interpret everything I post as an attack on you? There's certainly nothing I can do about that notion of yours, so I think you should just keep your thoughts to yourself if you want to avoid these discussions which make both of us look bad.

You've certainly made more direct digs at me in this thread than I've made on you. Telling me I suck at making jokes... come on, was that necessary? In fact, I've made no digs in this thread, only ones you've imagined.

Cheers, take it easy, etc. Glad some other people have shared their opinion.

Heh.

:)

Always ready to watch another post-apocalyptic film. Bring it on!

Next, Forbidden planet. At least that one I've actually seen, this one... I've heard about it but never seen the original.

In this version Gort goes on a rampage in the city vapourizing everything with his laser eyes, then he ****s that main character.

American films! Yeah!

I'm already pissed off. The alien ship is supposed to land in BROAD DAYLIGHT. Everything is supposed to be normal..

What's with the ****ing nighttime scene with fog and smoke and stupid americans gawking in the dark.

BRing back the broad daylight scene.

/has not idea what he's talking about.

Can't stand Jennifer Connoly either. Go back to labyrinth and dance with ****ing david bowie in tights.

/holy moly

lol the one scene with the lie detector reminds me of the Twilight Zone.

"What is your purpose in doing this?"

"....to serve man"

I dont know anything about this but it looks insane.

Looks shit, no surprise, the original was a fifties yawn fest to or something.

Theres a difference between classic, and just old dusty dross, learn to tell the difference America. :LOL:

Theres a difference between classic, and just old dusty dross, learn to tell the difference America. :LOL:

If you know the context for the original, then its a very important film. In an era when most sci-fi movies had aliens attacking people or giant ants from outer space, The Day the Earth Stood Still came along with an intelligent and introspective viewpoint, and laid the basis for the attitudes in a lot of modern sci-fi.

Meh, I'm not too interested in this. Theres no need for a remake.

Get out.

Back