The Muslim protests following "Innocence of Muslims"

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
So ya'll are probably aware that thousands of Muslims are going batshit insane over some shitty "trailer" to a movie called "Innocence of Muslims" (although the full movie hasn't been seen by anyone, so most people think the trailer contains all the footage there is).

You can see it here:

Similar reactions happened to the Danish Muhammed cartoons a few weeks ago, but this seems a notch more serious as the American Ambassador to Libya was killed a few days ago. I cannot fathom how people can be so butthurt over one shitty movie that the vast majority of those who protest hasn't even seen.

I stopped watching after the hot girl got killed at about 1:30. Trailers aren't supposed to be 14 minutes long.

Oh, right, the outrage. Meh. Good job giving them the reaction they were looking for though.

god I hate religion, so ****ing ridiculous how some can take a fantasy world into something very serious and kill other people over. I'll never understand this world.

2:53 - 'His name is Mohammed', obviously dubbed in a different voice. Someone also found a casting advert for the production and no Mohammed role was listed. It's possible this is agent provocateur stuff from within Islam.

The only thing I find more depressing than the Islamic reaction is the political and media reaction to the film. Everybody's eager to jump in and say how inflammatory it is or, if stopping short of that, at least not missing the chance to put the boot in and say how crappily amateurish it is. It doesn't matter what qualities the film has, because it has no legitimacy - it isn't representative of anything, it hasn't got a widespread release (or any release), might not even exist in a fuller form, and there's nothing to say that the 14 minute clip was compiled by its creators. It has no more significance to the Islamic or non-Islamic world than a random guy blaspheming on an internet forum. Since that is doubtless happening somewhere right now, I guess muslim outrage is justified 24/7 all over the world.

Any media commenter going the pussy route and saying 'oh what a crappy piece of provocation, why did it have to be maaaade~' is tacitly legitimising murder as a response to bad cinema.

Not that they have much dignity left after the atrocities they've committed in various countries, but if they wanted to retain any kind of dignitiy, they should all shut the **** up and get on with it. We coped with Life of Brian, right?

That is the worst piece of cinema I have ever seen. Oh my god.

I skimmed further through and it looks like every reference to Mohammed and many of the references to the Quran are badly dubbed on top, as is the line about 'false verses'. Haven't seen a single news outlet pick up on this either. Looks like fundies got trolled.

I believe the word you're looking for is incited.

Not really, my whole point before was that there's no incitement in the vid. 'Incitement' is where you directly persuade someone to break the law. In some countries it's a crime and not covered by freedom of speech (although I don't think the specific offence is called 'incitement' any more). Some other laws cover incitement to religious hatred but that would require the act of deliberately making people angry at muslims, not just producing something which makes muslims angry at you yourself as a side effect. The film might be prohibited by anachronistic blasphemy laws, but it doesn't qualify as incitement.

Even though this rubbish, doctored-looking snippet is provocative, I reckon it's probably protected under the 1st Amendment in America and freedom of expression under the convention of Human Rights in Europe. By focussing attention on the film and its maker, many news outlets are passively conflating the idea of 'controversial opinions = incitement'.

It's nothing new though. The video isnt the instigator here, its an excuse. An excuse for them to go batshit insane.

If I were to draw a hilarious and clever picture of the prophet Mohammed tomorrow and published it everywhere - it would also be used as an excuse.

I think the video was posted months ago, so I'm pretty sure these violent demonstrations were preplanned. Not spontaneous of butthurt over a video. Even Libya's President agrees.

I have listened to otherwise thoughtful, intelligent people say the damndest shit like "Surely there's some way to make stuff like this prohibited in the future in order to protect lives!" in response to this incident. I don't understand how some people are so eager to share and distribute the blame in cases like this. "Provocative" content is something all people come into contact with and it's up to one side in this conflict to not explode like indignant brats and hurt people in the process.

I know who I should be angry at.

god I hate religion, so ****ing ridiculous how some can take a fantasy world into something very serious and kill other people over. I'll never understand this world.

Religion itself isn't killing people, it's the way that religion is used/abused to manipulate a population that is the real issue.

Religion itself isn't killing people, it's the way that religion is used/abused to manipulate a population that is the real issue.
The Quran advocates the death penalty for those insulting the prophet. The people going apeshit are only following their religion, whereas those Muslims who advocate restraint derive their sentiments from other (secular) sources. What we see in the Middle-East now is the true face of Islam, and the fact that the majority of Muslims aren't protesting only shows that they possess some humanity that goes above and beyond their reactionary religion.

Similar reactions happened to the Danish Muhammed cartoons a few weeks ago,

I thought the Danish Cartoon Upheavel occured several years ago, I thought this time it was a french cartoon that was causing a fuzz

Did you hear the Pakistani Railway Minister, I think he went off the rails

The more the reactions to this persist the more it is reaffirmed that this cult is a virus to the human race.

I disagree with Rakurai just as much as anybody, but a six-month ban? I'm pretty sure I've seen a certain other religion called things that are wildly offensive.

/retract nose from business

It's not a six-month ban based on that comment, it's a six month ban based on his absolute inability to realise why he is continually getting banned from this site, and his unwillingness to change any of his posting habits.

But if you keep banning him we can't make fun of him...

I have listened to otherwise thoughtful, intelligent people say the damndest shit like "Surely there's some way to make stuff like this prohibited in the future in order to protect lives!" in response to this incident. I don't understand how some people are so eager to share and distribute the blame in cases like this. "Provocative" content is something all people come into contact with and it's up to one side in this conflict to not explode like indignant brats and hurt people in the process.

I know who I should be angry at.

Absolutely, I feel the same way. When someone says "I'm offended", my answer is usually "So what?" or "Good for you" - people claim offence as some form of entitlement to either behave violently, or to try to impose their will on others. And that must absolutely be resisted at every level, I think.

I am very bothered by the fact that many in the western media - the so-called "liberal media" - actually seem to be asking questions like "Did this film really need to be produced at this time?" or "Didn't you know you were going to offend people with this film?" - all the while shaking their fingers disapprovingly. These very people apparently do not realise that they are decidedly aligning themselves against freedom of speech and in doing so, they are ultimately sealing themselves into their own prison.

One thing I will say though, which gives me some hope - generally speaking, I think the reaction with this film has been more appropriate than the reaction to the Danish cartoons. In the latter case, I was absolutely horrified by the lack of open support for freedom of speech. Whereas in this case, I think a lot more people are getting the message.

We can tolerate offence, but we should absolutely not tolerate stand-over tactics and violence.

I find it funny that criticizing the Wahabi sect of Islam that was killing people over a youtube video garnered a ban response, yet I guarantee you if I'd used the exact same phrasing to describe the Westboro Baptist Church then everyone would agree.

edit: I just read the former mod's post after I had posted mine: that's a load of BS if I've ever seen one. The ban was because you didn't like what I said, period. It wasn't for any 'pattern' or whatever other nonsense you want to claim.

Back