Tron legacy

Prolly better fit in Films section but... I enjoyed the movie. Nothing horrible about it. Fun to watch if you don't go in expecting some brilliant masterpiece of writing and design. This movie is visually appealing and the story is kind of weird and a bit generic but enough to keep you going start to finish. If anyone remembers Tron I don't know why they expected this movie to do something the first one didn't. In order to do that they would have had to abandon entire principles of the original since it didn't really make that much sense either.

I just remembered that they brought in Cillian Murphy to play Edward Dillinger's son and then he just walked out never to be seen again in the movie. I dunno why that even happened. Just weird to bring in a relatively big name actor in to say two lines and then literally walk off the set within the first 10 minutes.

Continuity nod, potential for a sequel? I mean, he probably isn't too happy with Sam taking over the company and likely firing Dillinger. Could go the way his father went in the first movie. Tron is still alive also.

So there's that. I mean it doesn't HAVE to mean those things, but I kinda like to hope so. I thoroughly enjoyed Legacy despite what others say.

I FITE 4 THE USER!!

also, **** Daft Punk and their forced, lame as shit cameo. HEY HEY, I KNOW THOSE GUYS THEY SING THE HARDER FASTER SONG! OH LOL, THEY ARE CHANGING THE RECORD EACH TIME A FIGHT STARTS, THATS SO AWESOME, I HOPE THEY SHOW THEM FIVE MORE TIMES IN THE NEXT THREE MINUTES SO I DON'T FORGET THAT DAFT PUNK HAS A CAMEO IN THIS MOVIE.

Yeah, that aggravated me too. That entire scene is pretty much a demonstration of what is wrong with the movie as a whole.

The movie never really interested me, since I missed the boat for the original, but hearing that Daft Punk does a cameo in it solidifies the fact that im not going to ever watch it. What poor taste.

I thought is was a sold SciFi movie. The premise of the plot was straight forward and pretty basic (son goes on adventure to find long absent father) but the unique setting of the Grid and the world of Tron made it much more involving as a whole. The acting was good enough and didn't detract any from the film and some scenes were very well acted. Visuals were (both 2D and 3D) AMAZING. The I got a sense that there was a lot more work that went into world building than the audience is privy to. The music was awesome, and matched the atmosphere and tone of the movie perfectly.

The plot and story is straight forward and predictable, you are enjoying it so much that its ok, but executed and paced very well. The characters followed established forms and archetypes but had enough unique features to make them interesting. The action was pretty epic and left you wanting more (MORE RINZLER!)... with a few exceptions.

But by far the best aspect, what elevated the well done but basic elements to intriguing, and what allowed me to provide a stiff middle finger to anyone who didn't like it, was the high ideological themes woven into the story. There are Economic themes and ideology represented in the plot and world. Namely, how the ideology of free market economics (championed in the first film) is vulnerable to corruption. There are also Religious/Spiritual/philosophical themes about the nature of perfection. Kevin Flynn is the "god" of the grid and CLU is the fallen Lucifer, the dynamic of this religious conflict is at the hart of the Tron: Legacy plot. There is a nice commentary on the responsibility of a creator for their creations and how CLU made to create the "perfect" system had only the flawed concept of perfection Kevin had when he made CLU (more economic here as well: A perfectly open and free system is naive and too open and vulnerable to corruption) Then there is the long fascinating concept of artificial life.

In my mind the use of high or deep themes and ideas is the mark of good SciFi. Even if the execution is a little basic or awkward does not detract from the movie's ability to get you thinking.

TL;DR: Tron: Legacy was awesome. If you didn't like it F**k YOU!

(You'll have to read above to prove me wrong)

Continuity nod, potential for a sequel? I mean, he probably isn't too happy with Sam taking over the company and likely firing Dillinger. Could go the way his father went in the first movie. Tron is still alive also.

So there's that. I mean it doesn't HAVE to mean those things, but I kinda like to hope so. I thoroughly enjoyed Legacy despite what others say.

Where is the profanity in this post
where willie
where

I thought is was a sold SciFi movie. The premise of the plot was straight forward and pretty basic (son goes on adventure to find long absent father) but the unique setting of the Grid and the world of Tron made it much more involving as a whole. The acting was good enough and didn't detract any from the film and some scenes were very well acted. Visuals were (both 2D and 3D) AMAZING. The I got a sense that there was a lot more work that went into world building than the audience is privy to. The music was awesome, and matched the atmosphere and tone of the movie perfectly.

The plot and story is straight forward and predictable, you are enjoying it so much that its ok, but executed and paced very well. The characters followed established forms and archetypes but had enough unique features to make them interesting. The action was pretty epic and left you wanting more (MORE RINZLER!)... with a few exceptions.

But by far the best aspect, what elevated the well done but basic elements to intriguing, and what allowed me to provide a stiff middle finger to anyone who didn't like it, was the high ideological themes woven into the story. There are Economic themes and ideology represented in the plot and world. Namely, how the ideology of free market economics (championed in the first film) is vulnerable to corruption. There are also Religious/Spiritual/philosophical themes about the nature of perfection. Kevin Flynn is the "god" of the grid and CLU is the fallen Lucifer, the dynamic of this religious conflict is at the hart of the Tron: Legacy plot. There is a nice commentary on the responsibility of a creator for their creations and how CLU made to create the "perfect" system had only the flawed concept of perfection Kevin had when he made CLU (more economic here as well: A perfectly open and free system is naive and too open and vulnerable to corruption) Then there is the long fascinating concept of artificial life.

In my mind the use of high or deep themes and ideas is the mark of good SciFi. Even if the execution is a little basic or awkward does not detract from the movie's ability to get you thinking.

TL;DR: Tron: Legacy was awesome. If you didn't like it F**k YOU!

(You'll have to read above to prove me wrong)

Oh my gosh, this is gonna be a fun thread.

So let me tally up the incredible deep themes here:

-Capitalism makes big evil corporations!!!111! Yes, this theme is explored expertly. In the opening scene we see a big evil businessman saying big mean greedy things about how the company's going to make much moneys through their heartless and greedy ways. They laugh at Kevin Flynn, who was never all that into making moneys and wanted to bring a fulfilling product to the consumer. Scene 1 over, move onto bigger deeper theme.

-Good vs Evil (or god vs devil amirite!?) Okay, well I'm actually done with the mockery now, I really am not capable of that sort of long term thing. I will concede that this theme is inherent to the Tron premise, and could be explored in a really interesting way through it, but that definitely doesn't happen here. You know why? This movie has nothing to do with the grid. Sam meets his dad and they immediately start plotting their escape. Bridges never once talks about his grand plans for the grid and its programs, he just wants to get the **** out of there and forget about it. The grid is never important in its own right, it's merely a tool for destroying or saving the real earth. And why would you give a **** about the grid? All the programs are programmed to be boring, uninteresting, and annoying. The whole movie is driven by the father/son plot, with complete disregard to any importance the grid has. This is proven quite nicely when Kevin pulls a self-destruct and destroys the whole grid, which he created and has been a part of for decades, for his son's escape. Nice one God (actually it's kind of christianity in reverse, lol). As for perfection, five or six lines of forced and unbelievable dialogue, a compelling theme does not make. "Like, the perfection is inside us man, and, y'know, everyone just needs to find that and just, I mean, just let it out. You can't force it" "BUT YOU TOOOLD ME TO"

As for the pacing, uh, was there any? This is the movie:
1) Forces of evil (Clu and Tron) do battle with forces of good (Kevin, Sam, and whatever 13's name was)
2) Repeat, with a) light cycles b) disk fights c) plane fights

It never builds up to anything, there's just like three action scenes with like five minutes of dialogue between.

And I've heard a lot of praise for the music, and I think it's mostly justified, but that repeating epic climax loop for the light plane scene was horrible. It just went on and on and on.

All in all, this was junk food. I've heard a lot of Tron fanatics will hear nothing bad about it, but I think this says more about them and their devotion to the premise, this cyberspace world, then it does about the movie. Yes, it's exciting and interesting on its own, but that doesn't change the fact that it's only ever used for a standard action adventure movie. I really agree a lot with what Spoony said about it, what potential it had and how it was squandered (I actually haven't watched the video I just linked to, but I imagine it probably just goes into far greater detail and depth than his 'Worst Movies of 2010' take on it, which I did watch). And as long as we're talking about movies that deeply explore the theme of creation, and how it relates to the creator, Inception goes in a more interesting direction than "Oh flynn is god and clu is da devil soooo deep".

1134132281_DztUi-L.jpg

-Capitalism makes big evil corporations!!!111! Yes, this theme is explored expertly. In the opening scene we see a big evil businessman saying big mean greedy things about how the company's going to make much moneys through their heartless and greedy ways. They laugh at Kevin Flynn, who was never all that into making moneys and wanted to bring a fulfilling product to the consumer. Scene 1 over, move onto bigger deeper theme.

"What's different about this version of the Flynn OS compared to the old version of it?"
"We put a different number on the box"

My god that was horrible. Seriously, how can you write a sequel to a film like TRON and know nothing about the computer industry to the extent where you think that line is a believable line?

I dislike the notion that because films aim for a higher meaning and try to achieve certain things through subtext, they automatically become a better film because of that. I think that's utter tripe and too often used to excuse lazy film-making and lousy story-telling.

Oversimplification and misinterpretation on your part.

Economically, it wasn't about the evil of corporations. It was about responsibility. Encom has taken on a crooked personal. Sam Flynn is the majority share holder but takes no responsibility for what is, in fact, his company and what it is doing. Instead he resorts to pranking the company once a year and acting like its enough. At the end of the movie Sam realizes that not only does he have the power to correct the company but the responsibility to do so. This is analogous to people who rant at the "evil corporations" and all their sins. All the while they are buying the "evil" companies products and making the "evil" executives rich. Yet they still think that by giving meaningless criticism they are free from responsibility, but in reality they are speaking much louder with their money.

Good vs Evil (or god vs devil amirite!?) Okay, well I'm actually done with the mockery now, I really am not capable of that sort of long term thing. I will concede that this theme is inherent to the Tron premise, and could be explored in a really interesting way through it, but that definitely doesn't happen here. You know why? This movie has nothing to do with the grid. Sam meets his dad and they immediately start plotting their escape. Bridges never once talks about his grand plans for the grid and its programs, he just wants to get the **** out of there and forget about it. The grid is never important in its own right, it's merely a tool for destroying or saving the real earth. And why would you give a **** about the grid? All the programs are programmed to be boring, uninteresting, and annoying. The whole movie is driven by the father/son plot, with complete disregard to any importance the grid has. This is proven quite nicely when Kevin pulls a self-destruct and destroys the whole grid, which he created and has been a part of for decades, for his son's escape. Nice one God (actually it's kind of christianity in reverse, lol).

Let me get this out of the way. Kevin Flynn did NOT destroy the grid, he bew appart a sizable chunk of it but that was the result of reintegration with CLU. The city is fine. You obviously didn't listen when Kevin talked about the Grid. He cared about it greatly. Getting out wasn't him turing his back on the Grid. If you remember he got trapped and before that he would pop in for a couple hours at night to work on it before returning to the real world. One out Kevin would be able to come back anytime and continue to build the Grid. If you had spent the last several decades trapped inside a computer and you had the chance to get out... would you think about anything else? Besides, when first presented the idea, Kevin rejected it because it could allow CLU to become even more powerful and harm the Grid even more. Only his desire to save his son drove him to jeopardize the grid.Even when trying to escape he was always concerned with stopping CLU. Once outside they could prevent CLU from doing anything more. Kevin sacrificed himself (he could be back I think) to keep CLU from entering the real world (and save his son... two birds with one stone). The father/son bit was important to get us involved but their reunion and attempted escape occurred within the context of much greater events. CLU was the one who sent the page to open the portal as part of his plan. The fact that it was Sam who came through was a coincidence. Remember, it was CLU's game.

As for perfection, five or six lines of forced and unbelievable dialogue, a compelling theme does not make. "Like, the perfection is inside us man, and, y'know, everyone just needs to find that and just, I mean, just let it out. You can't force it" "BUT YOU TOOOLD ME TO"

That bit of dialogue was amazing, and reveals the nature of programs. A program will do what they are programed to do. CLU could do nothing but try and create the perfect system. It's why he was created, its his purpose given to him by Kevin Flynn. The ISO's changed Kevin's perfection of "perfection" but CLU's didn't. Kevin takes responsibility for his creation (connects to the economic theme's) and his creation's actions.

Also, there was a good bit more about perfection throughout the movie.

I thought the facing was good, and as I don't know anything about making movies, I'll leave it at that.

Music was good.

I am disappointed the didn't qualify what was so special about the ISO's. The fact that they were sentient being that formed from a system that wasn't designed to make them is pretty monumental if you think about it... Kevin wasn't even trying to make a new intelligent life form. There was also something about their "DNA" that could benefit humanity.

Have your read Snow Crash? I think Kevin was trying to make something like the Metaverse. He was still making it when it all went to hell. You see the effects in the movie. The Grid had no real purpose yet and so the program spent their time being preoccupied with Games and clubs. Flynn must have had a plan for its use... but it was never finished.

Definite sequel set up at the end. Hopefully they will go deeper into these idea.

I'm not saying this movie was perfect or even great, but it was good and the high Themes made it better. People who skim the surface are really missing out.

Craft is more important than theme, because thematic quality is expressed through craft. A very simplistic message can be made brilliant by its execution, but that message in isolation is not worth giving the time of day to.

Anyway, the film was okay. Lovely visuals. The Dude and 13 gave pretty okay performances. Pity about the main character, though. He was so boring that were I him I'd throw myself under a tube train just for something to do. Also, remember that very final shot, with Wilde's eyes peeking over Sam's shoulder on the back of a motorbike, wide with excitement, trembling from sight to sight. Sometimes even mediocre films have moments of genius. Hell, Wilde and her character pretty much saved that movie's ass - a tip of the hat to the script for being dumb enough to keep taking her out of the equation.

I think the worst part of the movie is when the son (forget his name) is on top of the roof and he's talking to the cop, and he's all like "I'm gunna jump!" and the cop is like "no no!" and then he jumps and is like "WOOOO HOOOO" and pulls out a parachute.

I was seriously uncomfortable by how lame and unnecessary that scene was. Sometimes when something dumb happens in a movie and I am seeing it with other people, I get embarrassed.

Kinda thought so too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at too low an altitude for deployment of the parachute, or do I not know shit?

Oversimplification and misinterpretation on your part.
You can't misinterpret things when you're not interpreting things at all. That was simply a summary of events, and that's pretty much exactly how they went down.
Encom has taken on a crooked personal.
I think this sentence should relieve me of my responsibility to reply to this paragraph.
Let me get this out of the way. Kevin Flynn did NOT destroy the grid, he bew appart a sizable chunk of it but that was the result of reintegration with CLU. The city is fine. You obviously didn't listen when Kevin talked about the Grid. He cared about it greatly. Getting out wasn't him turing his back on the Grid. If you remember he got trapped and before that he would pop in for a couple hours at night to work on it before returning to the real world. One out Kevin would be able to come back anytime and continue to build the Grid. If you had spent the last several decades trapped inside a computer and you had the chance to get out... would you think about anything else? Besides, when first presented the idea, Kevin rejected it because it could allow CLU to become even more powerful and harm the Grid even more. Only his desire to save his son drove him to jeopardize the grid.Even when trying to escape he was always concerned with stopping CLU. Once outside they could prevent CLU from doing anything more. Kevin sacrificed himself (he could be back I think) to keep CLU from entering the real world (and save his son... two birds with one stone). The father/son bit was important to get us involved but their reunion and attempted escape occurred within the context of much greater events. CLU was the one who sent the page to open the portal as part of his plan. The fact that it was Sam who came through was a coincidence. Remember, it was CLU's game.
Hmm, frankly, I think this your Flynn god power theory is all speculation. If I remember correctly, and it has been like a month, so I may not, 13 directly states that reclamation or what ever its called will destroy Clu, Kevin, and the whole Grid, and I think that was exactly what the movie depicted happening.

Now that I look at the rest of your post, I can only assume that you're either hopeless or trolling. I mean, my god. Here, if you take anything from this, take this:

Craft is more important than theme, because thematic quality is expressed through craft. A very simplistic message can be made brilliant by its execution, but that message in isolation is not worth giving the time of day to.

And ZT, I felt exactly the same way. He also has that movie habit of muttering retarded one liners to himself in dangerous or impossible situations.

And yeah, parachutes don't work like that. He would've been dead on impact.

Kinda thought so too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he at too low an altitude for deployment of the parachute, or do I not know shit?

apparently the lowest parachute jump was 29 meters off the the statue of christ in Rio de Janeiro. I would have thought it would have been much higher, like 500 feet or so. But I guess your speed makes a big difference too, if you jump from 29 meters and immediately open your chute, maybe that's comparable to going 120mph and opening your chute at 500 feet.

Sam walks into the arcade.

Turns on the jukebox.

Motherfucking JOURNEY.

Movie of the year.

Back