U.S. Military recruitment slipping

dream431ca

Reaction score
Just saw on the news tonight that the recruitment for the U.S. military is dropping. It might get worse in the coming years and analysts say that they might bring back the draft. Sorry..can't find a link to it on the internet. Most of the media say that because of the iraqi war, less people are joining the military because they don't want to fight a mindless war. 1765 America soldiers were killed since the U.S. invaded iraq and more than 12000 are injured. The media says, that's why people are not joining with the military. If this keeps up the military might ask to withdrawl from iraq (words of the media).

dream431ca said:
Just saw on the news tonight that the recruitment for the U.S. military is dropping. It might get worse in the coming years and analysts say that they might bring back the draft. Sorry..can't find a link to it on the internet. Most of the media say that because of the iraqi war, less people are joining the military because they don't want to fight a mindless war. 1765 America soldiers were killed since the U.S. invaded iraq and more than 12000 are injured. The media says, that's why people are not joining with the military. If this keeps up the military might ask to withdrawl from iraq (words of the media).
yeah, sort of old news, strongest army in the world is slowly failing, sad

anyway in case of draft >>>>>> Canada :bounce:

iyfyoufhl said:
yeah, sort of old news, strongest army in the world is slowly failing, sad

anyway in case of draft >>>>>> Canada :bounce:

In the remark to the draft...Canada was a means of escape during vietnam for people who did not want to go there right? What is that term again? Sort of a slang term for those people??

dream431ca said:
In the remark to the draft...Canada was a means of escape during vietnam for people who did not want to go there right? What is that term again? Sort of a slang term for those people??

Draft Dodging Hippy!

Raziaar said:
Draft Dodging Hippy!

Thanks Raziaar :thumbs: I'm from Canada but I don't fully understand how the draft works. I have a guess on it....I think it's when the government forces you to go to war and if you don't you go to jail. Is that right?

dream431ca said:
Thanks Raziaar :thumbs: I'm from Canada but I don't fully understand how the draft works. I have a guess on it....I think it's when the government forces you to go to war and if you don't you go to jail. Is that right?

When your country requires you to go to war, you go. I agree with that... as long as the war is a reasonable one and one that they NEED people to defend the country or the world collectively(only world wars in this case, not something like saying iraq is defending the world against saddam). Such as a world war, or a war for the protection of the country. A war like vietnam I would not agree with a draft... a war with iraq, I would not agree with a draft. World war 1, world war 2? Hell yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription

Well, its obvious that people don't want to have anything to do with this bullshit war. Its just not worth it to sign up for the military only to be sent to Iraq, a shithole of a country.

at least you people don't have mandatory military training.......:(

15357 said:
at least you people don't have mandatory military training.......:(

I would gladly like mandatory military training in this country. Great way to shape up...

Though... I wouldn't mind mandatory military service... just the training.

Raziaar said:
I would gladly like mandatory military training in this country. Great way to shape up...

Though... I wouldn't mind mandatory military service... just the training.

If the US had mandatory military training, the world might be conquered. :p

besides, you guys have a big population, and most people don't have patriotic pride and nationalism so its not gonna work.

15357 said:
If the US had mandatory military training, the world might be conquered. :p

besides, you guys have a big population, and most people don't have patriotic pride and nationalism so its not gonna work.

Well... the liberals don't have patriotic pride anyways...

We can ship them to Canada... or they'll move there on their own after mandatory military training starts... cause we know how lazy they are!

Raziaar said:

We can ship them to Canada... or they'll move there on their own after mandatory military training starts... cause we know how lazy they are!

Tough guy aren't you!?

I think you wouldn't last more than a week in Iraq, those liberals would because they aren't stupid to run across a field of flying bullets, where you would because your patriotic pride and all that!

Did you ever shoot a rifle in your life? Ever thrown a grenade? Ever walked 40km with full gear (30+kg), sleep in a tent cramped with fellow mates at -20 degrees C? Ever eat only two medium meals a day for more that half a year? Ever tryed grabbing a rifles barrel after 30 bullets shoot? Ever tryed spending half a day in water or mud?

If you did i might listen to you again, but i'm sure you haven't done any of this so please...STFU n00b!! :rolleyes:

jverne said:
Tough guy aren't you!?

I think you wouldn't last more than a week in Iraq, those liberals would because they aren't stupid to run across a field of flying bullets, where you would because your patriotic pride and all that!

Did you ever shoot a rifle in your life? Ever thrown a grenade? Ever walked 40km with full gear (30+kg), sleep in a tent cramped with fellow mates at -20 degrees C? Ever eat only two medium meals a day for more that half a year? Ever tryed grabbing a rifles barrel after 30 bullets shoot? Ever tryed spending half a day in water or mud?

If you did i might listen to you again, but i'm sure you haven't done any of this so please...STFU n00b!! :rolleyes:

Liberal aren't you? :burp:

btw, anyone can do #1, #4, and the last one.

15357 said:
Liberal aren't you? :burp:

btw, anyone can do #1, #4, and the last one.

#1 yes...anyone can do that, now picture this...you find yourselfe attacked by three soldiers you see a gun lying on the ground but because you never had one in your hands you dont know how to use it and you couldn't hit a single thing without any training! do you know how to cock and reload an AK-47

#4 yes...anyone can...take of your clothes and go sleep outside at 15 degrees C with only a tiny blancket on a hard surface and verry small place 180x60, i'll count the minutes while you run back in the house!

last one...you did?...of course anyone can i dare you...do you even know what it feels like to have wet socks the whole day at even 15 degrees C, not to mention the things you have to do while it...your feet turn blue, you can't feel your feet like they're dead, evry bone hurts like hell, you can barely move your joints, not to mention all the bruises and cuts you get, your wound's easily get infected...man you ever been outside the house in your life??

edit: ever try being sweaty near lakes...mosquitos...ever tryed sleeping on an ant nest?

BTW...i'm not liberal, i'm just not stupid and ignorant as you! no offense, but it's just stupid to say i love pain and exaustion and never even tryed! in that state you don't even care whose your enemy or for what ideal your fighting, your instintcs take over you and they just tell you to go home...it's as simple as that!

he only said that anyone could do those things..not that they would enjoy it or find it easy..

T.H.C.138 said:
he only said that anyone could do those things..not that they would enjoy it or find it easy..

well, yes he did, but i wanted to prove my point that, don't talk about thing you don't have knowledge about or even try to promote them!

we had military draft but it was made obsolete last year just when my term ended :angry: ! its basicaly 6 months of your life lost, unless you plan to make a carrer!?

and besides, i spent 13 year of my life on a farm and i cant tell you farming isn't easy especialy without machines! i hate gathering olives, because you have to spend half a day on a dense tree on a windy hill by 15-17 celsius, your skin on your hands cracks up by the wind and the hard leaves that you have to go trough! now thay bought a machine and life became much easier :)

jverne said:
#1 yes...anyone can do that, now picture this...you find yourselfe attacked by three soldiers you see a gun lying on the ground but because you never had one in your hands you dont know how to use it and you couldn't hit a single thing without any training! do you know how to cock and reload an AK-47

#4 yes...anyone can...take of your clothes and go sleep outside at 15 degrees C with only a tiny blancket on a hard surface and verry small place 180x60, i'll count the minutes while you run back in the house!

last one...you did?...of course anyone can i dare you...do you even know what it feels like to have wet socks the whole day at even 15 degrees C, not to mention the things you have to do while it...your feet turn blue, you can't feel your feet like they're dead, evry bone hurts like hell, you can barely move your joints, not to mention all the bruises and cuts you get, your wound's easily get infected...man you ever been outside the house in your life??

edit: ever try being sweaty near lakes...mosquitos...ever tryed sleeping on an ant nest?

BTW...i'm not liberal, i'm just not stupid and ignorant as you! no offense, but it's just stupid to say i love pain and exaustion and never even tryed! in that state you don't even care whose your enemy or for what ideal your fighting, your instintcs take over you and they just tell you to go home...it's as simple as that!

1. Thats why you don't go to a battlefield without training. Besides, The Internet teachs us many things.......

2. That happend on my "field trip"

3. You said that "Be in water for half a day". When I went to the beach, i did just that.

4. Every summer, hundreds of mosquitos attack me. So, yes. ;(

5. Ok, sure. I'm sorry that I accused you of being a liberal.

edit: Please. End of discussion about this?

15357 said:
1. Thats why you don't go to a battlefield without training. Besides, The Internet teachs us many things.......

2. That happend on my "field trip"

3. You said that "Be in water for half a day". When I went to the beach, i did just that.

4. Every summer, hundreds of mosquitos attack me. So, yes. ;(

5. Ok, sure. I'm sorry that I accused you of being a liberal.

i won't argue about that, but you should know better that war is not just being stung by mosquitos or playing in water 1/2 a day. it's much much worse! hope you realize that!?

and raziaar...if you're counting on the army to shape you up, you shouldn't even dream about a millitary carrer or war for that case!

Arguments is why everyone needs to shut up. There is no relevant discussion happening here, just a bunch of idiots calling each other pussies over bullshit.

How you people can let things slide into petty bickering over lame buzzwords like "liberal" is beyond me. If your comfortable with your personal politics you dont need to be offended or defensive. Prove your stance by making compelling arguments. Dont just blurt out half witted insults and derail the topic.

Parasite said:
Arguments is why everyone needs to shut up. There is no relevant discussion happening here, just a bunch of idiots calling each other pussies over bullshit.

How you people can let things slide into petty bickering over lame buzzwords like "liberal" is beyond me. If your comfortable with your personal politics you dont need to be offended or defensive. Prove your stance by making compelling arguments. Dont just blurt out half witted insults and derail the topic.

Like you did just now?

You would rather start a NEW argument with me, that acknowledge that the topic has degraded into a personal squabble, rather than a proper discussion, all because someone couldnt handle the word "liberal".

Show me how a reasonable thread goes from "Us military recruitment slipping" to "You cant handle having wet socks and being stung by misquitoes!" and I'll retract my statements.

Parasite said:
You would rather start a NEW argument with me, that acknowledge that the topic has degraded into a personal squabble, rather than a proper discussion, all because someone couldnt handle the word "liberal".

Show me how a reasonable thread goes from "Us military recruitment slipping" to "You cant handle having wet socks and being stung by misquitoes!" and I'll retract my statements.

man you seriously don't know what debate means!?

debating is exchanging presonal or someonelses thoughts so that you get the most people on your side and not your adversary...if it means using methods with causes someones emothions to raise...very well then...as long as you get them on your side! thats what i want, i'm trying to get them to personaly feel what i'm against for-in that case millitary draft (based on experiences, of course)!

ok, maybe the thread has gone a little off-topic, but surely you aren't helping!

Yeah drafting....too bad Bush won't let it happen, the democrats were pushing for it a year ago.

Raziaar said:

you're such a patriot why havent you joined? why arent you right there right now? You support the war, you believe in the cause ..put your money where your mouth and do something about ..dont leave it to all the liberals to fix america go out and do something instead of flapping yer mouth

oh and canada wont take you draft dodgers ..you have to wait in line to emigrate like everyone else

jverne said:
i won't argue about that, but you should know better that war is not just being stung by mosquitos or playing in water 1/2 a day. it's much much worse! hope you realize that!?

and raziaar...if you're counting on the army to shape you up, you shouldn't even dream about a millitary carrer or war for that case!

LOL. I was SPEAKING in general terms... the army being a "Great way to shape up"

What is your problem dude, I hit some sort of sore spot with you with yet another of my "not to be taken seriously liberal bash post"? Really... when I want it to be serious... you'll know its serious.

you're such a patriot why havent you joined? why arent you right there right now? You support the war, you believe in the cause ..put your money where your mouth and do something about ..dont leave it to all the liberals to fix america go out and do something instead of flapping yer mouth

oh and canada wont take you draft dodgers ..you have to wait in line to emigrate like everyone else

Because i'm not cut out for the military, simply put. And I don't pretend to be. What more do you wanna know, buddy?

Just because I do not join the military, doesn't mean I cannot still support our troops... when many anti american people from within the country don't join the military, yet choose to criticize and attack the armed forces, you don't question them about why they don't join as a sort of "Try it before you say bad things about it..." like some people say about drug usage.

And for the love of god... you guys have seen me post enough, you should know my blatant bashing of liberals is all in good fun... hell, the whole damn text in that post you responded to stern, was easy to distinguish as joking around. You should know better. Shame on you for getting so worked up over something that you know I always do, again and again.

Raziaar said:
Because i'm not cut out for the military, simply put. And I don't pretend to be. What more do you wanna know, buddy?

Just because I do not join the military, doesn't mean I cannot still support our troops... when many anti american people from within the country don't join the military, yet choose to criticize and attack the armed forces, you don't question them about why they don't join as a sort of "Try it before you say bad things about it..." like some people say about drug usage.

that's exactly why I said what I said: you see it as black and white ...an american who doesnt support the war is "anti-american" ..what a load of horseshit ..if anything, it's people like you who are unamerican ..you wouldnt dream of questioning the presidents decision on the war even though they lied to your face ..that's not being patriotic.

Raziaar said:
And for the love of god... you guys have seen me post enough, you should know my blatant bashing of liberals is all in good fun... hell, the whole damn text in that post you responded to stern, was easy to distinguish as joking around. You should know better. Shame on you for getting so worked up over something that you know I always do, again and again.

well I guess that's all you have: the ability to poke fun cuz from where I'm sitting you've never made much of an attempt at proving your point of view

well I guess that's all you have: the ability to poke fun cuz from where I'm sitting you've never made much of an attempt at proving your point of view

What's to prove? I've already discussed my point in this topic, more seriously, in the beginning... its that I am against a draft, except in cases of dire circumstances, such as world wars, or an actuall full out war against the country.

Raziaar said:
What's to prove? I've already discussed my point in this topic, more seriously, in the beginning... its that I am against a draft, except in cases of dire circumstances, such as world wars, or an actuall full out war against the country.

what's there to prove? the war, bush Lies, torture, CIA dirty deeds, religion, evolution, faith, qu'ran, same sex marriage, gun ownership, right to choose, iraq, Iran, NK, SK, US, UN etc etc etc

CptStern said:
what's there to prove? the war, bush Lies, torture, CIA dirty deeds, religion, evolution, faith, qu'ran, same sex marriage, gun ownership, right to choose, iraq, Iran, NK, SK, US, UN etc etc etc

Thats got nothing to do with this thread's topic. If I have something to say on those other topics... I usually do so. I don't always resort to a simple sarcastic statement of "Liberals suck!"

Just half the time :E

Kidding.

I think they just need to spend millions of dollars on making a UE3 version of America's Army. That would solve everything... and by "everything" I mean "my boredom."

Military training should be for everyone, military service should be for the volunteers.

The American military recruitment is down because of bad publicity, which is the fault of the American government. I would love to see a breakdown though of the recruitment statistics for the 4 main services, i think the army and the marines would be far worse hit then the airforce and navy ever would.

shadow6899 said:
If a draft is brought up for this war, i will not go. I do not care how they make me, i just wont do it. Fine throw me in jail, at least ill survive and not die over something that is extremely meaningless. Infact if i sense the draft IS coming ill take a little vacation up to vancouver... and never come back :D

That is horrible. If your going to be a draft dodging pussy at least enlist in something harmless. That way your not being an anti-american liberal. It's alright to hate our president but if you hate the country you live in, then get the hell out and stop ruining it for the rest of us.

Glirk Dient said:
That is horrible. If your going to be a draft dodging pussy at least enlist in something harmless. That way your not being an anti-american liberal. It's alright to hate our president but if you hate the country you live in, then get the hell out and stop ruining it for the rest of us.
Classic Republican dipshit talk. Spare me, you aren't convincing anyone. You are forgetting your hero Bush got his family to help him dodge the draft.

In recent days, George W. Bush has appeared at numerous military bases in a bid to bolster his image as commander in chief. With a back drop of flags and the faces of young military personnel, Bush has exhorted the troops with the co-opted slogan, "Let's Roll!" In his state of the union adress, he has asserted the right of our country to wage pre-emptive strikes against the "Axis of Evil," reversing a warming trend in political relations with Iran and North Korea from the previous administration. Now, Afghanistan is becoming a permanent bastion of U.S. military might in support of American interests including oil.

Perhaps it is the wish of the 43rd president that the citizens of the U.S. never learned or have forgotten his own blemished military record and that of many of his most bellicose, militant advisors. Troubling accounts of his service history are not new and have been covered in major newspapers and books. There are even websites devoted to this controversy. Now it appears that the administration has advanced the use of nuclear weapons in an unprecedented way that may very well destabilized relations with the other countries on this planet.

While Bill Clinton received scathing criticism for avoiding the draft, at least he did so for principled reasons, openly opposing a war that he felt was immoral. But Bush claimed he never discussed Vietnam while he was in college. However, when he was 12 days from the expiration of his student deferment and eligible to be drafted into active service, powerful friends intervened to ensure he would not die in the jungles of Vietnam.

Despite a waiting list of approximately a year and a half, Bush was accepted into the Guard on the day he applied. This was at a time when approximately 350 Americans were dying in the war each week. On his application, Bush checked the box which read, "Do not volunteer for overseas service."

Dubya enjoyed many other perks. He was able to gain lengthy leaves of absence to work on political campaigns within weeks of joining the guard. Despite having the lowest possible qualifying score on the pilot apptitude test, he was admitted to flight training. Without the inconvenience of attending officer training programs or serving for the required mandantory tour of active duty, Bush was commissioned a second lieutenant. This was done under an exemption called "direct appointment" which was exclusively reserved for flight surgeons and other critically needed personnel with outstanding credentials.

Bush's attendance was very sketchy. There were apparently long, unexplained absences and his superior officers seemed to have no recollection of him at some of the bases that he was assigned to. Some vets have posted rewards for anyone who can prove that Bush was actually present at air bases that he claimed to have served at.

Bush's tenure in the Guard was not all work and no play, however. He reportedly drank heavily and chased women. At one point, Richard Nixon sent a government plane to his military base to fly him to Washington, D.C. for a date with his daughter, Trisha! It was during this time of his life that dark rumours circulated about the high spirited-pilot dancing nude on bars and lip-synching to rowdy rock and roll songs. Other allegations of cocaine and marijuana use circulated.

Possibly the most damaging information regarding Bush's military service concerns the fact that once the Guard announced that physical exams would include drug testing including an inspection of nasal cavities for possible cocaine use, Bush never flew again. One month after the announcement of the new policy, he ceased attending training and was suspended from flying for failure to take the test.

Given the fact that Bush has refused to refute allegations of cocaine abuse, this raised the inevitable question as to why he chose to abandon his military career. Despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars that our government spent to train him as a pilot, Bush was allowed to leave the Guard many months before his committment ended. He then left for graduate school to study for an MBA.

Amid this back drop of military men and women and the monuments to those who sacrificed their lives during our nation's wars, Bush's presence as the commander-in-chief appears somehow as a mockery and counterfit. The appearance of patriotism and heroism by a man who failed to lead on September 11th belies the fact that powerful friends ensured that he wouldn't have to serve in Vietnam.

Bush and Cheney, the two most powerful men of earth with the ability to put U.S. citizens in harms way, refused to put themselves at risk when their nation was at war. While it is proper and just that the brave men and women of our military pursue everyone culpable for the tragedy of 9/11 and to bring them to justice, many of the most militant advocates for expanding the open-ended war against this vague and nebuous enemy avoided service themselves.

Draft dodgers in this administration and their allies include Dennis Hastert, Dick Armey, Tom Delay, (he claimed that minorities had taken up all of the slots so there was no more room for him) Trent Lott, Dick Cheney (he requested several deferments and has been quoted as saying that he "had other priorities than military service"), John Ashcroft, Newt Gingrich, Elliott Abrahms, Pat Buchanan, Phil Gramm, Jack Kemp, Dan Quayle, Rush Limbaugh, (cysts on his butt) Bill Bennett, Frank Gaffney and Kenneth Starr.

Taken from democraticunderground.com

Glirk Dient said:

What a stupid statement.

1: George Bush, went AWOL in his milatary service more

2: IMO refusing a draft is more American than accepting it under theese circumstances.

3: Draft dodging pussy eh? Whats wrong with not wanting to help bomb little children? The war is wrong, anyone with a brain would know that, but it takes a brave man to refuse to fight it. Thats why I highly respect thoose soldiers that have refused to serve.

4: Why do you think he hates the country he lives in, becuase he won't fight its illegal wars? This war is really bad for America so it would make more sense to say youd have to hate America to fight this war. Neither is true imo though.

Glirk Dient said:

you're deluded ...since when is it anti-american to stand up for what you believe in? you sir are anti-american for willingly allowing your fellow military men to throw themselves into the funeral pyre for absolutely nothing except to line the pockets of a few greedy neo-cons

Back