UK retail chains blacklisting Steamworks games

taviow

Tank
Reaction score
Russian giant 1C has told CVG that a recent "command" from a major outlet/s was sent to publishers, warning that any PC title containing Steamworks "would not be stocked".

Source

"Steam is stealing our sales! PC gaming is dead!"

It's okay, I'm pretty sure boxed copies of Roller Coaster Tycoon from 1999 and Diablo 2 battlechests with $20 price tags don't contain Steamworks.

It's okay, I'm pretty sure boxed copies of Roller Coaster Tycoon from 1999 and Diablo 2 battlechests with $20 price tags don't contain Steamworks.
Don't forget Sims expansion packs.

Hmm, I wonder how this will work for Valve's PS3 games, now that steamworks is on playstation. Like, for PC games, who gives a shit since no traditional retailer stocks boxed copies of PC games anymore anyways (except like, Best Buy and a small handful of other hold outs). I imagine this is primarily due to console games with steamworks not being able to enter the used game market, which is a retailer's bread and butter.

Which then begs the question... is this actually just going to help developers and publishers actually make more money? One of the biggest reasons games don't sell as much as developers and publishers wish and expect is the used game market. They get no money at all when someone buys a used game, and all the revenue goes to the retailer. Every time you buy a steamworks game, you buy a new copy, and thus developers and publishers make money. Now, I can see some lost sales due to people not being able to go out and buy a disk copy, but I think in the near future we will see consoles having a Steam store just like the PC does now, where you can download games. These UK retailers might be shooting themselves in the foot with this move, rejecting what little profit is left for them out of spite, now that they can't make ass loads of cash by cutting out the publishers anymore. This could have an added bonus for customers, with the increased number of sales relevant to the publishers/developers, that means they can lower the price some as well, since the higher sale numbers will offset the lower per-item revenue.

Back