Unable to load authentication library,

D

DRAVEN 1969

I know a lot of people have had this problem, Steam has been no help.This is what I have tried already.

Solution: If you are experiencing this problem with Counter-Strike:
Source or any of the other mods, please do the following.

1. Download this file:
2. Unrar haken.rar
3. Copy the file "steamclient.dll" to the ..\root\bin directory. The
default path is C:\Program Files\Half Life 2\root\bin
4. Play the game as usual (run the play_CSS.bat or play_mods.bat on
the desktop)

but that didnt work for me maybe it will for you.I have also tried this:

Get the dedicated server via Steam, start it once and then take the steamclient.dll from
...Steam\Steamapps\<Username>\source dedicated server\bin
and place it in
...Steam\Steamapps\<Username>\counter-strike source\bin
If there is one already, rename it or just replace it with the one the dedicated server. If there is none (as in my installation), just put in in there.

That didn't work for me either but maybe it will help somebody out there.
If anybody has anything better please let me know.

I purchased the game 3 years ago and have kept it updated but have not played until now.The game worked fine and I was able to create a server in counter strike source for my 9 years old son to play in. I reformated my computer,then reinstalled steam and Counter strike and now I can no longer create a server. I get the message "unable to load authentication Library".This problem seems to be around in a lot of posts the the things that I have tried to fix it I have found on different sites,some they work for and some they dont.They didnt work for me.

Ok could we have some of your computer specifications? Like amount of RAM, CPU speed, etc.?

Like I said the the game worked fine before I reformated bit if it will help the computer is a: 2.6 P4 512 ram and I have a Geforce 6800 vid card

Could be a bad install. First have you tried Verifying your game integrity? Try that, then if that fails, and you can afford the bandwidth, I'd say redownload it all again. Or uninstall/reinstall steam.

I know a lot of people have had this problem, Steam has been no help.This is what I have tried already.

Solution: If you are experiencing this problem with Counter-Strike:
Source or any of the other mods, please do the following.

1. Download this file:
2. Unrar haken.rar
3. Copy the file "steamclient.dll" to the ..\root\bin directory. The
default path is C:\Program Files\Half Life 2\root\bin
4. Play the game as usual (run the play_CSS.bat or play_mods.bat on
the desktop)

but that didnt work for me maybe it will for you.I have also tried this:

Get the dedicated server via Steam, start it once and then take the steamclient.dll from
...Steam\Steamapps\<Username>\source dedicated server\bin
and place it in
...Steam\Steamapps\<Username>\counter-strike source\bin
If there is one already, rename it or just replace it with the one the dedicated server. If there is none (as in my installation), just put in in there.

That didn't work for me either but maybe it will help somebody out there.
If anybody has anything better please let me know.

Why does this sound like you're using a cracked copy?? Oh wait because it probably is...:rolleyes:

I unistalled and reinstalled and it didnt fix it but thanks for the help anyway.It is a purchased copy also for those out there for throwing shots, if it was some sort of bad,illeagal,or hacked copy then I wouldnt be asking questions, I would just assume it was a bad copy.(a duh)I just thought I would try to get some help in the forums didnt know that most people would just take shots and assume everybody is some sort of thief.Thanks to those who tried to help and I will just wait and see if I ever hear from steam support.

ok problem solved,like I said it happened when I reformated my computer.I went into windows and downloaded every update i could find and it fixed the problem.I know there are a lot of people on Steam forums looking for this answer so I will post it there also. Thanks for your help.

draven, what do you mean by "I went onto windows and downloaded every update....." i went onto microsoft update and thee was 1 outstanding update so i downloaded it but i still have the same problem. i also reinstalled CS:S and it kept happening. my favourites wont work (ive even done what it says in steam support to fix it and it dont work still) and ifi click on friends while ingame CS:S crashes which is annoying :( please help anybody

Please Someone Help Us!!!!

I now have the same problem too! WHAT DO I DO TO FIX IT?!?!?! i tryed the steamclient.dll thing(didnt work) another site said, for css, to change a number in its gameinfo.txt file. but i play dod, and its a completely different number to change, so do i change it, and what do i change it too??? and if even having your windows fully updated doesnt do anything, then how do we fix it? i have to be able to host to check out the maps i make with hammer! and it would be nice to have friends back. I to just formated, and then this happened. :( PLEASE HELP!!!

your friendly
SpacedMonk

Got the same god damn problem and im trying to build a map.

Seriously this has been a problem for a month now, no mass high success rate fix?

Lets compare specs

I have other problems too - do you have these as well?

1. Cannot save favourites (always clears on restart)
2. Cannot join via ip address (crashes)
3. Cannot start local game with bots (haven't tried without bots - has anyone?)

My specs:
Counter Strike: Source (legit, fully updated)
old card (GeForce4 4200Ti -- source def. playable, but prob suffer in a bit against superior cards online)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+
WinXPpro

Post ya'll. Maybe we can nail it :afro:

I have other problems too - do you have these as well?

1. Cannot save favourites (always clears on restart)
2. Cannot join via ip address (crashes)
3. Cannot start local game with bots (haven't tried without bots - has anyone?)

this is what i get...

1. Cannot save favourites (dont even show up for a second)
2. Cannot start local game (crashes)
3. Cannot start local game with bots (crashes)

i hate steam. most worthless thing ever. valve should have never released games using it. HELP! i wanna test my map, and not ahve to send it to my friends. This all worked fine befor untill i hat to reformat due to a virus. :(

I fixed it yay

:bounce: yay i got mine to work by deleting my counter-strike source folder in steamapps\username\ and when i ran counter-strike source it made the folder again and it worked not sure why tho. Hopefully it works for u

I can Fix this for Half Life 1 and my friend says it also works for half life 2!

Well the reason I believe this error is appearing is because OpenGL and or the options section fails to load properly if yu change the Audio, Visual or any other settings.
So what I did to fix this (it has already worked for 5-6 of my friends) is the following:

1) Uninstall Half-Life 1/2
2) Reinstall it
3) launch the game
4) don't change the settings, simply start a new game
5) after this itshould be working fine
6) And now save your game.
7) Go back to main menu
8) Enter the settings that you wish.
9) Finally reload your previously saved game.
10) ENJOY!

NOTE: For 2 of my friends, they couldnt change the settings without the game fataly crashing, with the Unable to load authentication library error. So if this happens to you, just repeat steps 1), 2), 3), 4) and 5) and never change the settings or it will stuff up ur game.

hope this helps, cos i made a freaken account just to help u poor guys out.

So reply if u have any querries or whatever. :thumbs:

Well, almost 2 years after ForrestGump posted his bump of a 4 year old thread, I found it extremely useful.
I was revisiting Half-Life, running it under wine on Fedora 16. It worked well for a couple of days and then hit this error.
ForrestGump's instructions fixed the issue :)

The joys of the internet ... nothing useful is ever forgotten (although occasionally lost on the morass of useless trivia) and even a 2 year old update to a 6 year old thread can be a tremendous help.

Thanks.

Bumping a thread isn't going to make it any easier to find in a google search, though. So it wouldn't have mattered.

Now GET OUT OF HERE

Back