Warning: Noob thread

Aerovoid

Reaction score
ok i've been reading through some of the latest threads here and i didn't see an answer to my problem. i'd post this on the official boards, but they arn't up right now.

ok so i haven't had hl installed for a year or two now. i installed it again lastnight to try out this steam thing. i used the beta to get the hl2 vids before and had no issues at all and now i got the new steam 1.0 and im confused.

what i'm confused with is. do i need to actually install my old hl cd? cause lastnight when i launched hl. it said i needed to dl 420mb to play hl... i assumed it was to update it, but it seemed to put it all in the cache. so now i'm wondering if it just dl'ed the whole game. i'd rather just install it all off the cd insted of having to dl it all. seems rather silly to do so if i have it all right here already. and seeing as how it was all corrupted this morning i'm going to have to dl it again and that's no fun.

the FAQ on the steam site seems really basic and i didn't find many answers on there. i really haven't paid attention to the detials of steam. i just assumed i could install hl off the cd. dl the patches through steam and the mods and be set to play.

oh and i also got an email lastnight saying:

"Dear Steam user,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration.

Your Half-Life Platinum Pack CD-Key (the number printed on the CD case which you
were asked to type in after installing the game) has been found to be invalid.

The CD-Key you entered is:

You will not be able to play Half-Life Platinum Pack unless you provide a valid
CD-Key.

To provide a valid CD-Key, double-click on the name of the game in Steam's
"Games" window and then follow the given instructions.

For further help or product support, please visit http://www.steampowered.com"

wtf is up with this? i don't have the hl platinum pack. just the origonal cd from 1998 or when ever. can i not use it now? maybe i made a typo in the cd key when i typed it. i don't know. but what really gets me was that i was still able to get into the game after anyway. so was that just a bug and the email sent by mistake or what? how would i fix it? double clicking on the name of the game in the "games" window just tries to launch the game.

so any help would be nice. i know theres a ton of "Steam" threads and i appologise adding to the pile, but i'm really a noob to this steam thing it appears. i thought i understood it.

Back