Welcome to ValveTime.net

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so last week turned into this week, Monday turned into Tuesday and then Tuesday turned into Wednesday morning which then crept in to Wednesday afternoon. What else would you expect from a site called ValveTime?

However, none of this now matters as we're finally back and hopefully you will agree, better than ever! Read on to find out what's new!

We hope that you like the new site. A tremendous amount of work has been put in over what feels like an eternity, but in reality has been just a few months.

We mostly want you to find out new things for yourself but please do feedback to us if there are any problems.

Welcome back :)

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16,145
  • CSBeta1.jpg
    CSBeta1.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 323
Why in the name of god is "The Monkey, 16 minutes ago Report" in larger text than the actual posts?

you're lucky you can even login - the convert from vbulletin to xenforo changed your username to romhaire :D

Seems like there is quite a lot happening over there on the right all at once, kind of hard to keep track of what is what. Maybe abit more spacing between headers and above subjects would help stop the eyestrain.

I think it would have been better if the the post was starting below the nickname (like in the ones where you cite the previous one) than on the same line with a nickname.

How do you change the background colour? Couldn't find much useful under "preferences". Would also like to change the amount of posts per page.

Also, why are the replies in the news section different from the other forum sections. Like how you can't see signatures etc.

Nice work!

One tiny cosmetic improvement: make the favicon's background transparent.

How do you change the background colour? Couldn't find much useful under "preferences". Would also like to change the amount of posts per page.

Also, why are the replies in the news section different from the other forum sections. Like how you can't see signatures etc.
Monkey, you can't change the background colour.

The amount of posts per page is a forum-wide option set by us. What would you prefer it to be adjusted to?

As for the different appearance between news comments and forums, that's because we want news comments to look like news comments and forums to look like forums.

I believe the amount of characters before thread titles on the front page are cut off is too high. (insert meme here)

Oft8p.png

Oh, and another little annoyance:
B8qCm.png

Every time I try to click there(to focus window or satisfy OCD) it sorts by start date, wouldn't it be more sensible to limit links to the area where you actually see their text?

Haven't been on this site for so long. But this shiny new layout is nice.
I may stick around.

Good lord the water tastes nice.

Is there a way to get to the actual thread from a news post on the fp faster than finding it through the Forum directory? Not a big fan of the "comments" section under a post, I rather like the forum style because it's less busy and easier to read (I must be getting OLD).

Edit: Nevermind. I guess that isn't possible since this is a "comment-style" only kind of post.

Not bad. I was wondering when it'd finally become live. Been checking a few times over last few days. Good to see y'all back.

Is there a way to get to the actual thread from a news post on the fp faster than finding it through the Forum directory? Not a big fan of the "comments" section under a post, I rather like the forum style because it's less busy and easier to read (I must be getting OLD).

Edit: Nevermind. I guess that isn't possible since this is a "comment-style" only kind of post.

Viewing a news forum thread will bring you to this style (its still the forums but designed differently) - I'm the same but I'm sure I'll get used to it :)

/me pages Yorick to fix the quote above!

What the hell is the deal with trophies?

Achievements for a message board? For real, guys?

What the hell is the deal with trophies?

Achievements for a message board? For real, guys?
Yep, for real.

Nothing we've added ourselves, it's part of the core features of this forum software.

Monkey, you can't change the background colour.

The amount of posts per page is a forum-wide option set by us. What would you prefer it to be adjusted to?

As for the different appearance between news comments and forums, that's because we want news comments to look like news comments and forums to look like forums.
I've always used the 40 post-per-page system, it's a real hassle browsing through a lot of posts. Before you could decide for yourself, why not have the same here?

I got a trophy for 1000 posts? pffft

also hating the new layout,where is widescreen support?why text is so small and there is not distintion beetwen posts? arararaarrrrrgrrggrgr!!!!1 *<RJMC> runs away*

I've always used the 40 post-per-page system, it's a real hassle browsing through a lot of posts. Before you could decide for yourself, why not have the same here?
This is down to the developers, XenForo.

They have no plans to implement this feature

Hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. As an example, recently someone sent me a link to a page in a forum and pointed me at a particular post, but it wasn't on my page...

I actually agree with this principal.

That being said, we have decided to increase the forum wide posts per page setting to 40. This is just a trial. It may be reduced, but hopefully for now, you'll be happy :)

I literally just noticed that the logo is supposed to be a watch face.

also, cor blimey that's a lot of smilies.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the lack of bold font to distinguish threads that have recently been posted in since I last checked is quite critical. Other than that, nice layout.

I feel my title of Tank is quite appropriate given my handle's namesake.

Back