We're back (for the 2nd time)

Wouldn't have thought so. We aren't on the same servers. I thought this server was based in the UK (as Munro and Chris_D are british).

Yes, I believe we are based on the same server. Or Valve pays for it. It's one of those two.

Valve pays for this site? LOL! No wonder the front page is having delays...

I've been huddling in the closet the past two days, afraid to come out......

Well its odd, since www.halflife2.net's nameservers are

NS1.VALVESOFTWARE.COM
NS2.VALVESOFTWARE.COM

windows9xbsodeb1.png

serversdownez3.png

lolzrp2.png

To clarify - yes, we were down for the same reason as the widespread Steam problems, because of power outages in Seattle.

Valve Software does pay for this site; they took over hosting from Munro a few years ago. They allow us to operate entirely independently of them - so we're not Valve hacks or anything - but they do pay for our bandwidth, which is a godsend because we'd have been in the poorhouse otherwise.

We're in the same Limelight server cluster as the Steam servers and the like.

This is why whenever Steam, Steampowered.com, or Valvesoftware.com is down - we're down too. Same servers.

To clarify - yes, we were down for the same reason as the widespread Steam problems, because of power outages in Seattle.

Valve Software does pay for this site; they took over hosting from Munro a few years ago. They allow us to operate entirely independently of them - so we're not Valve hacks or anything - but they do pay for our bandwidth, which is a godsend because we'd have been in the poorhouse otherwise.

We're in the same Limelight server cluster as the Steam servers and the like.

This is why whenever Steam, Steampowered.com, or Valvesoftware.com is down - we're down too. Same servers.
Cool.

Atleast stardock.net doesn't require internet after you download the game.
So, If I'm ever internet-deprived, I can play Galactic Civilizations.. Steam should seriously invest in an offline mode.

So when's the front page coming back with all that lovely Steam/Source related news & goings on?

Atleast stardock.net doesn't require internet after you download the game.
So, If I'm ever internet-deprived, I can play Galactic Civilizations.. Steam should seriously invest in an offline mode.
Steam has an offline mode.

You have to make sure that Steam stores your inlog information. Once that Steam can't connect to the internet, it will allow you to play in offline mode.

Steam has an offline mode.

You have to make sure that Steam stores your inlog information. Once that Steam can't connect to the internet, it will allow you to play in offline mode.
Steam logged me off when it couldn't find the authentication server.
I've found offline mode to be pretty temperamental - Logging in online should give you at least 24 hours of offline use. Its another example of DRM hurting users more than the pirates.

Valve use 3 nameservers (ns1, ns2, and ns3). It looks like ns1 and 2 were down which was causing any dns lookups for our site to time out.

Valvesoftware.com was working because their dns record has all 3 nameservers in it.

Also, yes most of the original staff are british, but with the speed of the intarnets theses days, it doesnt really matter where the server is hosted :D

Also, yes most of the original staff are british, but with the speed of the intarnets theses days, it doesnt really matter where the server is hosted :D
Well according to the server downtimes, apparently it matters quite a bit :p

I don't see why people bitch about offline mode. The only time it doesn't work for me is when I have Steam itself in mid-update.

I think its great that Valve supports the community like this. I am interested in how this came to be.

Yeah same.

Also, this new frontpage is taking quite some time.

Im still not sure why you couldnt have left the old one up and keep posting on that while you developed the newer one.

I like to think it's because they're awesome.

Maybe because, this is a really popular site and helps get the news out there about mods and other things.

And also probably because in the overall scheme of things the hosting costs for this site would be, SHIT ALL.

So, when's the front page goingmto be back up?

All that lovely news we're missing out on!! :-(

Yeah, but front page makes everyone seem so... 'Fun'. I always looked forward to seeing if there were any new important news when I went on the computer. I don't want to read all day! Unless, of course, It is a good novel. Then I'm okay. But reading NEWS? Newspapers>Radio>TV>Internet.
^^^^^^ Evolution of ze news.

Back