When is the death penalty OK?

When do you think it is OK to use the death penalty?

• Total voters

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
When do you think it is OK to use the death penalty?
Note: this is a public poll.

Never.

Under no circumstances is it ok.

"Killing a killer to teach us that killing is wrong."

Never. We should be above that by now.

never ...oh and treason should never be death sentence ...unless it's a dictatorial government, in which case it becomes an effective tool (not that the morality behind it is justifiable)

Always.

J/K.
In some cases i support it. I just can't see the reason to let a convicted killer live. Most of them do not feel guilt or remorse, so what is the point in keeping them around?

Teta_Bonita said:
treason and extreme cases of murder.
:LOL: I immediately got the mental image of "X-TREME MURDER CASES" i.e. using a skateboard to 360-kickflip off a bridge and land on someone's neck.

Aaaanyway... I vote never. I should hope that society is past the "eye for an eye" stage.

Only for serial killers, mass murderers, etc, crimes of unspeakable brutality, that sort of thing and only when the evidence is 100% concrete and there is no doubt in a high court judges mind to the guilt of the person. Also, it can only be carried out by the higher courts in the land.

If there is a serial killer and they have no chance of ever changing, then i don't see the point of letting them live for the rest of their lives in prison. It would be far better for them to have a quick, painless death and lessen the burden on society then just to stick them in a prison for 80 years.

The only one I even remotely considered was murder... but even then I opted against it. Why not treason? Well, treason isn't always a bad thing from a world view and it's relative to who's in charge. It's an abstract concept unlike like murder, rape, theft, etc. From a justice standpoint it's pointless. If they are directly involved in crimes you should just charge them with those crimes. If their "treasonous" acts cause bad effects you should charge them as an accomplice in the crimes that they facilitate. There is no need for extra punishment because they violated an "allegiance" to an abstract idea such as nationalism. In fact, it can be dangerous especially during times of war. The term "treason" is too easily abused by those in power. What happens if the government changes after the person is killed for treason? Life in prison is bad enough... and the decision can be reversed several years down the road if the person's acts are no longer considered treasonous by the new government.

a quick, painless death
Naaah. A slow and painstaking death. Kinda like AIDS. But only in the case they feel absolutely no remorse.

shadow6899 said:
i picked manslaughter and murder, i think if you take a life that's not out of self defense, then you should die.

Isnt mansloughter when you accidently kill someone? Why should you even get prison for that? I mean you should if you carry a gun and accidently shoot it (for not handling it safetly) but what if you walk on a bridge and slip on something and drops a heavy object that kills someone below?

Maybe I dont know exactly what mansloughter is?

HunterSeeker said:
Isnt mansloughter when you accidently kill someone? Why should you even get prison for that? I mean you should if you carry a gun and accidently shoot it (for not handling it safetly) but what if you walk on a bridge and slip on something and drops a heavy object that kills someone below?

Maybe I dont know exactly what mansloughter is?
It's death caused by "criminal negligence" without intent... if your gun accidentally goes off it's negligence because you didn't have the safety on, it was loaded when it shouldn't have been, or you have horrible aim. Your carelessness or lack of precautions causes someone else's death. I doubt tripping on something would be considered negligence unless you were looking at a beautiful woman instead of watching where you were going or not paying attention to "wet floor" signs.

No, never, will I agree with capital punishment. Rather than taking the humane stand I believe that to truly punish somebody for their crimes prolonged removal of their liberties is a far superior option.
As a deterrent the death penalty clearly doesn’t work, otherwise it would never be carried out.
In the UK high profile serial killers are right now suffering the total removal of their freedoms. Take for example Ian Hunty, the monster that killed two school children, right now he is banged up inside, no chance of parole, unloved, despised by the entire nation.
He will suffer the same fate as another infamous child killer, Myra Hindley. She was locked up some thirty years ago, hated, despised and eventually to die, after years of psychological suffering inside.
The death penalty is too easy, too final; my own opinion is locking them up, take their liberty away.
Give them no hope, no future.

I don't take a strong stand for or against the death penalty...but what are the reasons for executing someone for manslaughter?

Never in my opinion.
Nothing is gained by killing someone...

ríomhaire said:
Extreme cases of ? Do you mean mass-murder?
No I mean like serial killers, mudrerers/rapists, and terorists as well as mass murdrurers. Those are the real sickos. Hitmen (who are just "doing there job") or people with no self-control who get angry easily should still get at least life in prison depending on the circumstances.

stigmata said:
I immediately got the mental image of "X-TREME CASES" i.e. using a skateboard to 360-kickflip off a bridge and land on someone's neck.
.....or that :LOL: ;)

How about when it's MY family that was murdered by an axe murderer? Just hypothetical, but i hope you get my point. People cannot have a subjective view on this topic.

Murder, rape, treason, and pedophilia.

My problem with the death penalty is that it's not used enough.

It is the right of the state to deprive someone of life for crimes such as these. Does it bring the victim back? No but it fulfills the human need for justice and revenge.

The death penalty is not only moral, it is necessary.

burner69 said:
"Killing a killer to teach us that killing is wrong."

Never. We should be above that by now.
But isn't sentencing someone to a life sentence the same as killing them? And we don't kill them to teach anyone a lesson, we do it to save money (or atleast that is what we should be doing IMO). Why spend thousands and thousands to just let some guy die in 60 years? Why not do it now for free?

Treason and Murder.

No mercy for traitors!

GiaOmerta said:
Agreed Foxtrot.
seriously, i'd rather see my tax dollars go towards more lethal injections than to incarcerating some guy until the day he dies... i mean, he isn;t getting back out, so get it over quick
everyone who has the death penalty should be killed no more than 10 years after they get it (plenty of time for appeals) and there should be more crimes, like multiple rapes, that get a person the death penalty
i'm not too worried about pedophiles, though, the prison population does a pretty good job of killing them off

I think the death penalty is not *entirley* ok.
I also disagree with the cruel and unusual punishments.

I think we should make them suffer and suffer and suffer and suffer(such as cutting a chunk out of there skin and walking away, sending a dog on them for a few minutes and walking away with the dog) and do this until they finally die :).

it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in jail for life

"A Duke University study found... "The death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a non-death penalty murder case with a sentence of imprisonment for life."

source

capital punishment does NOT deter criminals ...in fact it does nothing at all except give people a false sense of security

"Recent studies claiming that executions reduce murders have fueled the revival of
deterrence as a rationale to expand the use of capital punishment. Such strong claims are not unusual in either the social or natural sciences, but like nearly all claims of strong causal effects from any social or legal intervention, the claims of a “new deterrence” fall apart under close scrutiny. These new studies are fraught with technical and conceptual errors: inappropriate methods of statistical analysis, failures to consider all the relevant factors that drive murder rates, missing data on key variables in key states, the tyranny of a few outlier states and years, and the absence of any direct test of deterrence. These studies fail to reach the demanding standards of social science to make such strong claims, standards such as replication and basic comparisons with other scenarios. Some simple examples and contrasts, including a careful analysis of the experience in New York State compared to others, lead to a rejection of the idea that either death sentences or executions deter murder."

source

I don't think the death penalty should ever be used. I've never understood how murder is acceptable within a court system when it's universally outlawed anywhere else.

A judge has the power to sentence bad people to the death penalty and people are all for it, yet when someone outside the law (such as a hitman or mafia man) kills a bad man it is no longer acceptable?! Innocent people have been murdered on the streets, just like innocent people have been put to death by the courts as well. If a judge sentences a man to death, and it is later revealed that he was innocent, shouldn't the judge be tried for murder and even have the possibility of the death penalty be given too (extreme scenario for one wrongful sentence, but what if it were many innocent men)? And I shouldn't be singling out the men because women have had their fair share of killings too.

If I was given the opportunity to execute a criminal (no matter how guilty that person is), I don't think I could do it. Would that be a sign of weakness or a sign of strength?

in an enlightened society it would be a sign of strength

CptStern said:
it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in jail for life

"A Duke University study found... "The death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a non-death penalty murder case with a sentence of imprisonment for life."

source

capital punishment does NOT deter criminals ...in fact it does nothing at all except give people a false sense of security

"Recent studies claiming that executions reduce murders have fueled the revival of
deterrence as a rationale to expand the use of capital punishment. Such strong claims are not unusual in either the social or natural sciences, but like nearly all claims of strong causal effects from any social or legal intervention, the claims of a “new deterrence” fall apart under close scrutiny. These new studies are fraught with technical and conceptual errors: inappropriate methods of statistical analysis, failures to consider all the relevant factors that drive murder rates, missing data on key variables in key states, the tyranny of a few outlier states and years, and the absence of any direct test of deterrence. These studies fail to reach the demanding standards of social science to make such strong claims, standards such as replication and basic comparisons with other scenarios. Some simple examples and contrasts, including a careful analysis of the experience in New York State compared to others, lead to a rejection of the idea that either death sentences or executions deter murder."

source
Right now it costs more, but that is why we need to redo the system.

doesnt deter crime either ...so in other words no matter what the cost is ...it just doesnt work. Besides it's about time the US enters the civilised world and leaves such barbaric practices behind

Back