Which ways can you get CS: Source?

A

AGPVincent

Now I'm pretty confused because when I go onto the Counterstrike servers there seem to be shitloads of servers for CS: Source.

I haven't preloaded Half Life 2, cus I'm gonna buy it from a shop, and I also haven't ordered a Radeon 9800 Pro. What ways can you get it because it's the closest I can get to play Half Life 2

Thanks

The only way you can get it is by buying one of the HL2 packages through Steam.

you will be able to purchase cs:source seperately at a later time (as valve said they do plan to sell it as a seperate package in stores) however as far as things go now... the only way you can get it is via steam packages (silver, gold and bronze) or if you have an ati voucher (gets you bronze).

if cs:source servers are showing up for you when you browse for CS1.6 it must be some kinda bug (I sometimes get cs1.6 favorites from when I tried it on steam ages ago.. show up in cs:source favorites)

AGPVincent said:
Garrr, those fecking bastards. But I still love them.

Why wait? You get everything you need for HL2 if you buy over Steam, plus CS:S right now. What's so great about the box?

Gotta see it from Valve's point of view, though. They make a lot more hard-earned money through a Steam sale than a retail sale (between two and three times as much), so it's completely understandable that they'd offer some extra incentive to buying online.

-UnmarkedOne

You've only got to wait another 17 days and you get HL2 and CS:S. If you're desperate you could cancel your order and buy over steam, but I wouldn't think it'd be worth it.

Personally, I like the box because it has a cool manual, and it has HL2 on DVD instead of an unreliable hard drive. Plus it saves me downloading for ages.

jabberwock95 said:
and it has HL2 on DVD instead of an unreliable hard drive.
I got mine burned on DVD :(
plus with steam even with an unreliable HD, or a corrupt DVD you can always merely DL it again. you own the right to play HL2, so you can have access via steam, no matter what the circumstances.

Mr. Redundant said:
I got mine burned on DVD :(
plus with steam even with an unreliable HD, or a corrupt DVD you can always merely DL it again. you own the right to play HL2, so you can have access via steam, no matter what the circumstances.
True, but you get the same benefits with retail, once you register you can download it if you wanted.

I suppose it's just personal preference. I buy retail because I want it delivered to my door, no fuss. For this I will probably have to wait a couple of hours longer than the steam buyers. Meh.

Im not one of those people who whinge on at valve for their options, or try to convert people to 'the correct' way of thinking. Im just grateful valve cares enough to offer us these options.

Back