you only liked half life 2 because you were supposed to

But I don't think we're that small of a minority. Bioshock: Infinite is a singleplayer linear FPS, and the sales clearly shows that the market actually want's to play games like that. Even though Irrational Games shut down.

exactly as I said. And Metro Last Light, and soon we have Wolfenstein the new Order and dont forget Doom 4 (which we know nothing about yet)

I think it will be like Diablo 3. There wasnt a Diablo game for a decade, still Diablo 3 sold like 10 million copys in the first week or so ONLY ON PC! Of course thats a different genre and what, but you see people dont forget names and Half-Life 1 and 2 were the best selling games back then, and who knows how many more people bought Half-Life games in all those steam sales (They are always at the stop of the best sellers).

I hope it won't be like Diablo 3. It sold well based on the name but was a big disappointment for a lot of fans.

Diablo 3 had a very rough launch, I remember the complaints about the always online requirements and the connection problems. Blizzard want it to be a "social" game, kind of like EA did with Sim City and Battlefield.

Valve seems to be going that route too, just listen to Gabe's talks the last couple of years. He wants social features in video games, and it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. It's hard to imagine Half-Life 3 anything other than a F2P co-op game with an in-game store.

omg. Who cares about Diablo 3 launch problems or the quality of the game right now? Thats not the topic... can you guys even do something else than complaining?

Valve seems to be going that route too, just listen to Gabe's talks the last couple of years. He wants social features in video games, and it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. It's hard to imagine Half-Life 3 anything other than a F2P co-op game with an in-game store.

I think they experimented with that in Portal 2 but scrapped it because they saw that thats a bad idea.
(I think because of the ingame store, which was very hidden though and probably nobody in the world used it and I still dont understand why it was there anyway)

I dunno about you, but I think a well executed co-op mode for Half-Life 3 would be amazing, so long as the original singleplayer experience is intact.

Portal 2 Co-op was awesome, but I doubt most people who have Portal 2 every even tried it.

I still dont understand why it was there anyway

• Very easy to implement
  • Experimentation with revenue streams in different environments
  • Potential for additional, post-sale income
  • Potential for easy-to-create, easy-to-distribute post-sale DLC
I'd say that about sums it up. While the first point is definitely true, the second obviously failed, effectively limiting the usefulness of the bottom two points.

If I've learned nothing else, it's that I can change the course of videogame history at Valve if I have convincing bullets on my powerpoint slides.

I dunno about you, but I think a well executed co-op mode for Half-Life 3 would be amazing, so long as the original singleplayer experience is intact.

A co-op game with Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance would be kind of harmful to the narrative of Half-Life, but other than that I would be ok with it. Co-op game with a rebels story Synergy style could be really fun, especially with friends.

If the Bot Enrichment center is any indication in recent years, it says quite a bit that Valve will yes add a hat and crate store in the name of money. Even if it was a failure, it never really hurt Valve since they seem to be rolling around in cash with Dota 2 and CSGO shops. I could definitely see L4D3 and HL3 going that kind of route.

why not. Maybe a 50$ singleplayer and a f2p multiplayer+coop which could also act as a demo

edit: ok no that would be stupid

A co-op game with Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance would be kind of harmful to the narrative of Half-Life, but other than that I would be ok with it. Co-op game with a rebels story Synergy style could be really fun, especially with friends.

I never said it had to involve Gordon or Alyx. It would be a far better experience if you kept the campaigns separate yet subtly connected, like Portal 2.

Back