Your five personal favorite games of all time - with comments

Sparta said:
No love for Freespace 2 :O?

Great game, my fave Space sim/shooter. It doesn't get anywhere near my top 5, though. Give it a telescope and it may just be able to make out no. 100 in the list :)

not in any particular order

Deus ex (PC) - non linear, amazing story, one of the best games ever made IMO

Half life 1/Opposing Force and 2 (PC) - self explanitory, also I loved OPForce so much as well

Final Fantasy 7 (PS1) - really good story, had me hooked when I was a little kid

Breath of Fire 3 (PS1)
- see FF7

Legend of zelda: ocarina of time (N64)
- good and fun gameplay, good levels and story..had me hooked as well.

theres tons more games but these 5 are my most memorable..I remember that day in 2000 when I first got half life 1 GOTY edition, those were the days...

1.) Half-Life 1
Thinking back on the first time I sat through the intro and walked around the science lab, I remember the music being so perfect and moody. I loved the way the scientists looked at you, and spoke when "spoken to." The whole game brings back that weird feeling, you know? Nostalgia, I believe they call it.

2.) Spelunx and the Caves of Mr. Pseudo
It was this old game for macs. It's about 15 years old. It was a kids game where you went around in these caves and there were rooms at the end of each tunnel with little fun minigames/experiments. Not really educational (because educational games aren't fun, with the exception of super solver.)

3.) Half-Life 2
Obviously.

4.) Goldeneye 007
Come on you know why this game ruled.

5.) Mario series
I have all the mario games, except for the third party shithead ones, like LUIGI STUCK IN TIME! I do have Yoshi's Island though... although I think Nintendo made that, I dunno - they're just fun as hell.

There is no possible way I can come up with my 5 favorite games, thats like choosing between eating or breathing ever again

To me, these were the 5 most important arcade games

5) Chase HQ - This old game was like the driving missions in the cop car in GTA I would hope to live for a modern sequel of this fun game. Crashing into getaway driver criminal and watching shrapnel fly off of the car with a well timed boost was something I have been craving for many many years but this game seems to be forgoten.
4) Galaga - This game was one of the few arcade games that I enjoyed. I was having trouble remembering my favorites
3) Pole Position - This game is was so influencial on me i cannot begin to describe it other than hour long day dreams of how incredible the cars graphics were. :D I was just a little kid :p Anyway while i was never good at the arcade, Namco has re-released this game and i have beat it a few times (not such an easy feat)
2) Asteroids - This game would be first on my list if i was to buy an arcade game. It ****ing rocks. My brother had the rare coctail version (his first arcade machine) when i was like 12... he hooked the sound up to his stereo and holy shit those asteroids had some BASS.
1) Street Fighter II - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. Its tough to find any competition on this game after I've been playing for 15 years and i still can't execute my special moves perfectly every time. For everyone else theres mastercard- er i mean Mortal Kombat (which had some great ones, epecially MK2) This isn't a game where you smash the buttons and get lucky, its a game of skill and perfectly timed moves. The graphics, animation, gameplay could never be matched. The only reason to go to the arcade. While it can be fun to play against the computer, thats just training and nothing like the feelings evoked while beating someone who fights with perfect precision, but you had a good game. You can REALLY get skilled in this game, and thats that. I have never felt the type of emotions that this game can bring about anywhere else in life.

The 6 most important computer and console games in my opinion

6) MikeTyson's Punchout (USA)- Holy shit these graphics and gameplay are still unmatched ... of course, they just don't make them like this anymore thats all. I hope that Nintendo re-releases this game on their Revolution. :D
5) Zelda - This game seemed to introduce something so incredible, Im not sure what it was, but I guess it was the puzzles and items and dragon boss fights. I normally hated puzzle games but it was just perfect fun.
4) Doom - Wolfenstein may actually have been more important but wolfenstein was really just practice for making this game ;)
3) Gran Tourismo - Driving games would never be the same with my first taste of a driving simulator combined with tons of real cars and car upgrades.
2) Resident Evil - this game changed everything and turned the gaming world upside down.
1) Dungeon Master - My favorite Pc/console game ever. I am still amazed by, and enjoy playing this ancient game. It would be cool to play it in high rez with smooth scrolling graphics. I programed my own clone of this game on my first IBM PC my bro gave me about 9 years ago

1. Silent hill - Scariest game ever made. My ultimate favorite game ever made.

2. Silent hill 2 - Third scariest game (Silent hill 3 is the second) ever created. Good story great atmosphere good graphics.

3. Zelda Ocarna of time N64 - THE best zelda to date until the gamecube one comes out. Great gameplay outstanding graphics for the N64, fairly long game..great temples..good adventure.

4. Starcraft - I still say no other RTS beats it. Unbeatable reply value, great online play, Tremendous fun.

5. Dragon quest 8 - This game has gotten me into RPG's again. It feels like a SNES RPG only with better graphics. The game has an outstanding soundtrack, long game (over 100 hours) great and funny story and a RPG with good Voice acting which is unheard of.

6. Mario Brothers NES - The game that started it all for me. Truly the best classic of all time.

7. Chrono cross - The best RPG I have ever played...hands down. The best soundtrack ever in an RPG, the best story, Gameplay, Characters and a good long game. You must get this game if you like RPG's!

I don't have a favorite game really. I'll just post the games that had an impact on my gaming tendencies.

The first game I played was probably Burger Time for the NES. Then I moved up to Mars on DOS. And them Wolfenstien 3D. Uhh, just a history lesson, on to the winners!

Starcraft - How can't you pu that up there? It was givin to me in the Blizzard Game of the year box from like...1997 or something. It had Diablo, Warcraft II, and Starcraft. My moms boyfriend at the time played Diablo with me, I'd more play Warcraft II, just because it was awesome. I was too young to actually love Starcraft like I should have..Didn't understand strats too well. Played Starcraft more when I moved to my fathers, and got a little better, then found someone who was REALLY good...they ended up training me until I got almost as good as him, then I stopped playing for a few years, *When I got my hands on Half-Life*

Half-Life - Another no brainer. This game redefined the way First Person Shooters were made. Then the mod scene gave that game even more publicity. The fact you could create an ENTIRELY NEW GAME from the engine, was just amazing. I spent about $50 on the Half-Life Adrenaline Pack, and I've spent well over 5 years playing on it. Well worth my money.

Final Fantasy *VII especially* - I Saw the commercial for it on TV, with Titan doing it's nice rock smashing stuff, and I was hooked there. I didn't care about anything else...but what I figure out was the best storyline I could ever hope for in a game. It kept me on the edge of my seat, interested to no end, and laughing at the odd jokes here and there. But VII isn't all. I first played Final Fantasy for the NES. That was where my RPG games got into my blood. Oddly enoughn, I beat that game faster, and better, when I first played it, then I do nowadays *I'm stuggling with the Fire boss...Volcano..stuff...yeah.* Most Final Fantasies that I've played have been excellent quality,, and great stories *the exception of 8 and 9...ick.* A+ work.

Sim City - My sisters best friends brother *..sounds funny* owned the first Sim City for the SNES...I would always ask my sister to get the game so I could play it. It was so fun, the music, every time I think about it, I go into 10 minute long memory sequences of that game. The square residential zones turning into huge buildings...Bowser killing everything, then the little advisor dude that ran around in a panic all the time...so cute. That later spawned Sim City 2000, me and my father spent months on that game. It challenged your mind in ways you didn't think could be from a game at the time. You had to plan EVERYTHING out. Then Sim City 3000, added more realism, and the such...and so on and so forth. Great for the mind, and if you're in the mood for some slow gaming.

VirusType2 said:
There is no possible way I can come up with my 5 favorite games, thats like choosing between eating or breathing ever again
I didn't say it was easy either. I'm not sure my list is that accurate. I may be wrong about myself. :)

Murray said:
I didn't say it was easy either. I'm not sure my list is that accurate. I may be wrong about myself. :)
yep. im sure i overlooked some fantastic games. there are so many to remember that its hard to find my favorites lost in my mind somewhere :)

Back