Your number one film

Reaction score
I have had this feeling that I am very behind on quality films- If you have a film that you feel everyone should see please share!
A few of mine would be: Cloud Atlas, Zeitgeist the movie, seven pounds

The thread title asked for one, but you provided three. What are we to make of your inability to count?

Anyway: Fincher's Zodiac.

It's so hard to choose just one. I think it's "Lovers of the Arctic Circle".

"How to Train Your Dragon", "Stargate", and "Gran Torino"

I don't know about favourite (that always seemed like kind of a weighty designation to me), but I did just recall two films I have an extreme, unwavering fondness for - Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation.

I don't know about favourite (that always seemed like kind of a weighty designation to me), but I did just recall two films I have an extreme, unwavering fondness for - Eternal Sunshine and Lost in Translation.

That's essentially what a favorite is. It's like if you have a herd of sheep and you have one or two that you enjoy more than all of the others

I'm just going to keep posting movie names as i think of them.

Elysium
District 9

This is a tough question to answer off the top of my head, so I'll give my top 5 (that come to mind at this moment) instead:

5) Holes (2003)
4) Cloud Atlas (2012)
3) Wall-E (2008)
2) Spirited Away (2001)
1) Forrest Gump (1994)

That's essentially what a favorite is. It's like if you have a herd of sheep and you have one or two that you enjoy more than all of the others

Right, but I don't necessarily enjoy those two films more than I do any other film I'd consider a "favourite," it's just easier to pick them out of the bunch because the reasons I like them and the impact they have on me haven't really changed since I first saw them. On the other hand, I could name another 5 movies which I consider favourites, which were either profound experiences at the time I saw them that no longer strike me in quite the same way (like Jurassic Park), or affect me more deeply now than when I first saw them (off the top of my head, Oldboy).

I mean yeah, who really cares that much and everything, but it always bothers me a bit when someone asks for my favourite film/album/other subjective media because it's always going to change based on the context I'm viewing them in, like my mood and my life and whether I'm seeing it with people and whether or not those people have shitty taste similar tastes to me, etc. Often you hear people say something is their favourite because they can watch it regardless of the mood they're in or what's happening around them and it'll have the same effect on them every time. I guess that's as good a criteria as any, but for the most part I don't really view movies that way.

Except maybe Ghibli movies. Actually yeah, I'll just cut the shit and go with Princess Mononoke. (y)

Hmm... Hard to choose which film. I'll have to go for "The Lion King" due to it being one of me favourite Disney films while in my childhood years.

. Often you hear people say something is their favourite because they can watch it regardless of the mood they're in or what's happening around them and it'll have the same effect on them every time. I guess that's as good a criteria as any, but for the most part I don't really view movies that way.
They're lying. Heh, but yeah I know what you mean. I don't understand how people claim to have a single favorite song. If somebody asked me that every day I would likely have a different answer every time.

This is a tough question to answer off the top of my head, so I'll give my top 5 (that come to mind at this moment) instead:

5) Holes (2003)
4) Cloud Atlas (2012)
3) Wall-E (2008)
2) Spirited Away (2001)
1) Forrest Gump (1994)

Seems you have the same taste in films as I do! I have watched Holes so many times I have lost count! thanks for the reminder- I shall have to watch it again!

Say what you want, but here you go:

TITANIC

Of course there are 10000x movies I really like and watch them everyday!

Too many to mention, but always in my top 5 are; The Crow, Dead Poets Society and Bladerunner. I have specific attachments to each of them that make them very personal favourites. Of course, I could easily spout off at least 10 films I love just off the top of my head!

Man, that movie sucks so much. The only reason people like it is because whats his name got killed while making it and people don't want it to have been for nothing. But it was, because it sucks.

I'll have to say Last Ounce of Courage, an American flick, is my top movie. It really resonates with me as a lover of freedom and liberty. It shows that even when you're being run out of your own country, you can fight back! It really gives me hope for the U.K., which seems to be run by radicals who want to destroy traditional values.

Man, that movie sucks so much. The only reason people like it is because whats his name got killed while making it and people don't want it to have been for nothing. But it was, because it sucks.

Maybe to you, man... but personally, I liked it... each to their own. And for me it had nothing to do with him carking it. It has more to do with personal stuffs with which part of the film resonated with me at the time it came out.

Also, I really didn't like Jurassic Park. At all.... And I like dinosaurs. Go figure ;)

So hard to pick just one, so here are a bunch from what I currently have that stand out for me:

9 (2009)
Battle for Terra
Blast from the Past
Brainstorm
Braveheart
Children of Men
Contact
Crank
Dirty Love
District 9
Fight Club
God Bless America
Harold and Maude
Idiocracy
La Belle Verte
Life of Brian
Lolita (1997)
MST3K anything
Priscilla, Queen of The Desert
Primer
The 5th Element
The Big Lebowski
The Road
The Shining
Tideland
Time Bandits

This here is an example of why it's almost impossible to pick just one. There is always gonna be some that you remember after someone else mentions it. That is an awesome film.

Also, for me, Fallen and The Game are high on my list.

And Serenity. But, being a self recognised Browncoat, it would be. Suppose I'm a sucker for stuff that becomes a 'cult' thing that everyone else thinks is pish. Even though I watched them before they got their cult followings.

Back