Day 3 Sniper Update: The Razorback

AciD

Reaction score
Third day brings us information about next unlockable for Sniper ? The Razorback. Razorback can save Sniper from single backstab but it explodes after it saves player. Downside of The Razorback is that it slows Sniper down, in addition it removes SMG.
[br]<div align="center"></div>

The Razorback is a beautiful hand-carved tribal shield, built using indigenous techniques passed from father to son since before recorded time. Sometimes the old ways really are the best ways. And after using the Razorback in the field, we quickly discovered this was not one of those times.
You can visit The Sniper Update page here.

It's...it's useful. Really useful. In fact this may be, hands down, the most useful unlock in TF2. This is one of those, "Forget whatever you had in that slot previously; you're going to always want to have this" items.

Spies collectively, myself included, are now screaming obscenities. Our favorite prey has just been given the means to protect themselves. This is huge. Huge, and terrible. We'll find another way, snipers.

Bow and Arrow? Shield? Now all we need is a Boomerang and we can be a proper Aboriginal hunter.

Not really that sure about this. Will need to see it in action first.

I don't really get how it works. You stab it and it explodes hurting both spy and sniper?

If a spy sees you have the shield, he just won't back stab you then.

Wow, this update looks so brilliant.

I was watching a Mirror's Edge machinima at the same time as I was reading the page. The theme tune was playing as I imagined a Spy stabbing a sniper before being electricuted and falling to the ground all slow-mo. Then I just imaged "Wanker" as the music faded out :LOL:

Wow, I really can't wait now :D! Should work out at a good time for me this time too, I have 3 exams early next week before I am off for 2 weeks, leaving plenty time for this to be released and me to play it as soon as its out :)

In combination with the bow, this is will be a great new style to play.
With the bow, one doesn't need the SMG anymore, and as a replacement we get that razorback. This may be the best class packs up til now (for me anyways).

It hurts Spies and temporally disables their ability to backstab. After it saves you and shocks Spy it explodes. It doesn't need to be equipped to work. Just pick it in loadout and pwn some Spies.

I'm guessing we're going to see a division in the ranks of Snipers. The real Snipers, who will use the rifle and this, and the hunters, who will use the bow and arrow and the tommy gun. Of course, it will probably by mostly the former.

I wonder if it defends against other melee weapons?

Eh I guess spies will have to revolver snipers using this? Though if the sniper gives up the tommygun to use it it's somewhat doable. Harder, but doable.

It's...it's useful. Really useful. In fact this may be, hands down, the most useful unlock in TF2. This is one of those, "Forget whatever you had in that slot previously; you're going to always want to have this" items.

Spies collectively, myself included, are now screaming obscenities. Our favorite prey has just been given the means to protect themselves. This is huge. Huge, and terrible. We'll find another way, snipers.

So much this.

Questions:
Does it actually say it takes away the SMG on there? I didn't see it.
Is the shield visible? That, my friends, makes all the difference.
What exactly occurs when the shield is stabbed?

ahh, thats dumb...

bow&arrow rock, but a tribal shield? isn't it too much? and worst, with a damn battery? knife cooldown?

I didn't like it :/ now the Jarete doesn't seem that bad

Yeah, I agree the tribal theme is abit strong. But its still cool compared to the weapons he has now. I wonder if he will be getting a hat next?

So much this.

Questions:

It's visible, it takes SMG away.

I'm guessing it's all registered backstabs, not just stabs that actually hit the shield. I'm sure that will upset me in the heat of the battle many times.

I'm torn. The shield won't be useful in matches, but will make 24/7 2Fort farming easy as pie. Taking away the smg is not trivial though - 1/3 of my sniper kills are a quick headshot followed by a few machine gun bullets. It's the only way to dance with a soldier/demo and not end up a pile of body parts.

Like, I'm not even a big Spy player, but my gut reaction is to be adamantly opposed to this.

Who the **** will not be wearing this? Snipers get all the time and safety in the world to have their little duels across the field. They're often an easy kill for a spy, but that seems appropriate given the tremendous advantage they are given otherwise. Taking away that critical weakness while simultaneously exposing the assailant seems like too much. It's practically cheating.

This will likely be replacing the SMG, right? This is such an easy choice it's almost shameful.

This will likely be replacing the SMG, right? This is such an easy choice it's almost shameful.

It'll only be an easy choice for snipers that don't know what they're doing.

Oh you all should note that it says nothing about regular stabs. Be cautious with your side-ish stabs and you will still have a pretty easy time.

ahh, thats dumb...

bow&arrow rock, but a tribal shield? isn't it too much? and worst, with a damn battery? knife cooldown?

I didn't like it :/
Useless weapon, the sole purpose of which is to make people say "Hey this looks fun let me try out the sniper class"

versus

the sniper's prayers being answered over countless Team Fortress games for the past decade, giving them a monumental advantage the likes of which cannot be stated unless you've been playing sniper for the past decade over countless Team Fortress games and know the feeling of hanging out on your battlements, master of your domain swatting incoming offensive opponents down like flies from with a well-placed shot and feeling secure until some yahoo in a facemask comes up and jabs you in the side with a knife

And you think which item is the dumb one?

So much this.

Questions:
Yes visible.

First stab - electrocutes spy and temporarily disables backstab

second stab - blows up killing sniper and spy combined.

Great unlock, really will help snipers fend off those pesky backstabbing Spies. Yet at the same time, the Sniper will be almost defenseless because his SMG is gone. That just leaves the Kukri for him to defend himself with at close range.

Great unlock, really will help snipers fend off those pesky backstabbing Spies. Yet at the same time, the Sniper will be almost defenseless because his SMG is gone. That just leaves the Kukri for him to defend himself with at close range.

And that's far trickier because he's slower.

Like, I'm not even a big Spy player, but my gut reaction is to be adamantly opposed to this.

Who the **** will not be wearing this? Snipers get all the time and safety in the world to have their little duels across the field. They're often an easy kill for a spy, but that seems appropriate given the tremendous advantage they are given otherwise. Taking away that critical weakness while simultaneously exposing the assailant seems like too much. It's practically cheating.

It says in the page that the shield will make you slower, and if it replace the SMG that means it's easy to shoot a sniper with a revolver from a distance since he only got the Kukri.

Anyway I think it's a great unlock, one of the best.

Indeed. Spies now will just keep their range and put 2-3 shots into a sniper.

The spy is my favourite class, most snipers keep their backs to the wall to prevent backstabs, but this also allows me to line up 2 revolver shots directly in the side of the head before a reaction.

When the sniper realises he usually goes for you, but without the machine gun, keeping my distance from his kukri will be very simple to finish him off.

So I'm not too worried, but by the same token, all this sniper fighting is a lot of fuss which is usually avoided by a simple backstab, cloak, re disguise. It could attract attention and cause spies further headaches.

how come staff of the site know so much about this? *suspicious stare*

I don't really get how it works. You stab it and it explodes hurting both spy and sniper?

If a spy sees you have the shield, he just won't back stab you then.

it didn't say anything about hurting the sniper. the shield "explodes" so it only prevents one backstab in a life. And the spy's options will be either to stab/destroy the shield and avoid the sniper until his knife cools down, or try to shoot the sniper which will probably fail.

The fact that the shield replaces the SMG makes me think the bow actually is the replacement for the rifle.

Yes visible.

First stab - electrocutes spy and temporarily disables backstab

second stab - blows up killing sniper and spy combined.

The page says that it comes apart after the first stab - didn't catch the part about the second stab?

Does it 'heal' after a while, or is the sniper stuck with a bomb on his back until match end or eventual explosion after the first stab?

Do you get more shields after a while (like the Scout's baseball), or do you need to fully reload to get another? Does this go for any backside melee besides the spy's knife?

If the shield kills both players, does it show up as a kill and/or suicide for the sniper? What about the spy? Might it kill a third player if they're close enough?

I really hate this update. There have been plenty of times on 2fort were there were sniper duels and the only way to kill them was to back stab them, and now i can't do that. It was awesome running along the balcony killing 6 snipers in a row.
Now when i stab one it'll give me away instantly. Loads of Snipers don't use the SMG especially on 2fort so i can guarantee that all of them will be using it as the main worry are spy's on the balcony. I laugh when i see the first trailer and one of the weaknesses of the sniper and big advantage of the Spy was him back stabbing while the sniper was scoped out, now we can't do that. I'm glad i ditched playing this.

I Am still convinced that we will get a boomerang that decapitates as a replacement for the knife.

The page says that it comes apart after the first stab - didn't catch the part about the second stab?
Ignore me, I'm being really retarded.

Razorback equipped in inventory = always in use even when using rifle

1st stab = electrocutes spy, disables backstab temporarily, destroys razorback

2nd stab = normal mechanics apply

You'll be able to get another RB using a cabinet.

Hmm... sounds like a really interesting unlock. Game changing for sure.

Oh, and I'm sure the Spy will get an unlock of his own to counter the shield in some way.

Lone Sniper + Razorback =
  • Sniper slowed
  • Lacks SMG (probably)
  • Still taken (mostly) by surprise
  • Dies to 2-4 revolver hits
Against a Lone Sniper the advantage is still easily with the Spy.

Where the Razorback is really going to shine is when the Sniper positions himself next to teammates. The advantage to the Sniper is that Spies can no longer suicide-kill you. The advantage to the team is that the Sniper is now amongst the team leading to greater team work because:
  • Proximity to teammates is the number one cause of spontaneous team work.
  • The Sniper is now directly covering teammates.
  • Sniper will go for dangerous targets first since he now shares the risk.
  • Slowed speed will encourage Sniper to fight to the death more often.

The Spy is one of my favourite classes but if the Razorback plays out like I think I welcome this addition to the game. My only qualm is the thought of Razorbacked Sniper nests although if the Razorback *really* slows down Snipers that might be balanced out.

Bow and Arrow? Shield? Now all we need is a Boomerang and we can be a proper Aboriginal hunter.

Not really that sure about this. Will need to see it in action first.

I want my throwing spear :/

v7t5rc.png
10561eb.png

lol

this is cool. i'll play sniper a lot more now that i dont have to think about turning around every so often to catch a spy as much.

There is a rumor going around that it's going to be a dual Sniper-Spy update, which makes sense and would be awesome. Or it could be a well executed hoax by some on the steam forums.

Edit: Okay I'm ready to call that this will be a double Sniper-Spy update

Kotaku's page on the update has the Spy cloaking which they would have grabbed from the official site.
If you look at the dead Spy the Revolver looks different and there is something gold in his hand.
Plus Valve have mentioned the possibility of a double update before for the classes that ruin the game when spammed.

Back