half-life 2 music

D

|DX|Warlock

in dedication to the game Half-life 2 which ive wasted many hours at freinds house playing (i dont have it yet..maybe i can talk wife into getting it for me for christmas : prays : ;) ) I have made a HL2 song

we found out how to extract the sound fiiles out of the game and burn them onto a DVD for me to bring home (not sure if this violated any copyright rules or not, hope not)

ive prowled for forums since the launch of the game, but not having it myself, no reason to post, until now :D

Id like to get some feedback on it if i could, its a WIP (work in progress) and not totally finished, but have put quite a few hours into what i have so far.

Im hoping to get the feel and style of HL2 in the song, and tell the story of freeman escaping city 17 and fighting to the combine fortress with the song (not much added yet. still working on the beat and layout..but has a bit of dialog in it)

about 50% of the beat itself is made with gunshots,explosions, rumbles ect from the song itself..with regular drums added for a more songlike feel.

heres a link to the song:
http://www.pc-architect.com/hl2work.mp3
(i'd add it as a zip to the post itself, but not sure if its too big for one, and 2 someone with one post shouldnt be trusted to download a zip they made i think myself, its on my site host, so should be able to handle the load, but total BW of the download might take me over max if a lot of people get it, but feel free to get it, i can always bug the host to loan me some BW :smoking: )

was going to write vavle also to see if they accept fan made art and music, as id like to share how the game impacted me with them :)

so if ya take the time to download the song please give me feedback and maybe ideas of what to add if ya wouldn( mind ;)

That was actually pretty good. I like it, good job :D

thanks, like i said its no whre near done...still have to add a LOT more. but its slow process with work and a wife bugging you while doing it to turn it off, she is tired of hearing the same 8 second loop over and over, then another loop over and over..lol

also sorting the sounds so i can find what works good for the beat and whats good for ambient sounds, crashes, ect.

this game has a LOT of audio sounds!

I really like it, it was good. What program did you use to make it?

FruityLoops (and a crapload of VST plugins) for the song itself i love this program, ive used it for a few years and still learning new things in it..LOL, and Cool Edit Pro for editing some of the sounds dead air at the beginning of the wav's

Thanks im flattered, as for the repeating voices, im working on that, still chopping up the other g-man saying to fill in the first part of the song..so that one loops twice right now.

and a LOT of vocal wavs to sort through in the game to figure out how to make it follow the game. so just using random ones of sorts right now to get the timing and beat tone downs in the right place.

and yea after listening to ita few times i need to add some beat changes into it..didnt even realize it was so long already (almost 5 minutes)...like some break beats and 'chorus" beats here and there to add to the flow.

the big fire fight with the combine soilders with a team is going to be hard to do tho :p

Hey you two fruityloops users, come along to www.sectionz.com

Sorry for the shameless ad here... but it's perfect for the kind of feedback you might be after with your music, halflife2 based or not. over 10,000 members all working together to help eachother move forward.

I'll listen to the song soon, got to run!

btw, my username is Plug on sz as well. I've been using fl for about 5 years.

It's pretty close to what I feel. There was a U2 song, "Gone," and the Rammstein song "Mein Teil" that also had some similarities to the HL2 ambience.

EDIT: Oh my, I just realised something. Try and get some 6th string guitaring in there, like what Radiohead did in "Airbag." Would help. And... I like it :D

I've got it in my playlist and i just listen to it anyway. I really like the ambience of it, i just wish it was more stylised.. actually I wish i knew how to use fruityloops, I'm making a SP mod and i want more music :p

Aphex Twin - Didgeridoo <=- Reminds me so much of HL1 and HL2...dunno why

Anyway, cool music warlock :thumbs:

how does the decision of your getting HL2 rest with your wife?

Oh, and how do you extract the music? I'd like the sound track since I cancelled my collectors edition in favor of steam. could someone gimme a link to instructions?

Rocketman9mm said:
how does the decision of your getting HL2 rest with your wife?

Oh, and how do you extract the music? I'd like the sound track since I cancelled my collectors edition in favor of steam. could someone gimme a link to instructions?

not rests with her. just if we got the extra money with christmas coming.
and sweet guys, thanks ...still working on it.

as for extracting the music...ill have to find the link for the progrm that opens the files..the music is MP3 format.

eediot said:
I've got it in my playlist and i just listen to it anyway. I really like the ambience of it, i just wish it was more stylised.. actually I wish i knew how to use fruityloops, I'm making a SP mod and i want more music :p

its a WIP, its going to pick up as the song goes on...prob going to end up being a 15 minute song the way its looking :p

That was awesome. I really enjoyed hearing the song. It was long, but the time didn't really matter.

It was very good from beginning to end. :thumbs:

V

I enjoyed the song too, very good use of the sounds in the song. Maybe you should propose a musical to valve :p

I kept waiting for it "kick in" with some faster beats and heavy sounds. Something more action like.

BUT... taking it for what it is... you did an excelent job of capturing the "dread" and "gloom" in some of the motif of the game.

I think you could probably create an excellent score to kick ass with. Something to get the blood circulating.

Overall Judgement

Yes i have to agree it was awsome but it became a bit repeditive. I geuss it's WIP so make sure you post the final song when it's done, would love to hear it.
great job!

Cool song :)

I make music in Reason, Cubase SX and Cool Edit Pro.. Most if it is very ambient and downtempo stuff. I've made a few HL2 songs, none of them were actually that good, just repetitive loops for certain "settings" in the game. I think I should get a decent song together and post it on this forum.

Heyy =)
I'm a musicmaker.
And i use Reason2.5
and FL studio 5 (thats wha u ment with fruityloops huh?)
I think the song is ok. But it need some work... Ad a pEQ at master or at least the drums and remove some of that "burky" bass. that shoud make it more clean.

Great Idea tho and I like it.

Man that is soooo cool. It makes me want to play the game right through again...

It is actually well made. I like the placing of audio.

Maybe change up the beat and ambience more often though...

nice one mate, good job, maybe ill try my hand at making some music :)

Yeah I've been wondering if he's made an updated version of this song - I still have it and play it on my computer and in my mp3 player, I love it so much.

Warlock, you there buddy?

That was really good, I liked it, it had a good Half Life 2 feel to it.. which it should have, so mission accomplished, well done. =)

this is actually surprisingly good. like everyone has said, it really does have the HL2 feel to it, which adds alot to it. Job well done!

JESUS, THIS IS F00KING GREAT!
MAN, WHERE DO I SEND THE MONEY???? (I AM AGAINST P2P lol)

I think this deserves a bump (not reviving old threads for no reason, I'm posting to actually find this out)

If you're still around Warlock, or if anybody else who liked this knows, was there an updated version/finalized thing of this song released? I remember getting it long ago and he said he was working on it.

Excellent, I managed to find the song again. I tried to contact Warlock a couple months ago but got no reply. It's hard to believe how old this is.

Back