Make the Submachine gun more powerful or more accurate

Reaction score
I realise not many people who play H-L 2 play it for the weapons but I on the other hand enjoy the different weapons in the game.

Anyway, my proposal here is that the sunmachine gun should be overall better than the pistol in almost all respects.

If the submachine gun is made as powerful as the pistola (5 dmg per bullet instead of 4) or slightly more accurate (atm you are better off with the shotgun as mid range) then it would be more balanced, imhao.

At the moment the pistol is accurate and does 1 more dmg per round than the S.M.G. plus it shoots underwater. These are 3 advantages it has over the S.M.G. For example, the A.R.-2 is simply plain better than the S.M.G.(8 dmg per round plus more accurate).

This is how the S.M.G. should be to the pistol, albeit to a lesser extent. So my proposal is to make the submachine gun either the same power as the pistol or slightly more accurate than the pistol.

Go figure.

I definantly agree on the accuracy thing, but do tell Valve and not us. We have no power at all!

Beyond fan power, of course.

I agree with the damage thing. It feels ridiculous to just stand around shooting at Overwatch for fifteen seconds to get them to die.

I'm OK with the damage, but it needs to be more accurate. ATM the shotgun is more accurate and powerful both at short and mid ranges.

Hell, its nice just to spray and pray, would be good if headshots were an easier kill...

I agree. While I'm sure there are valid gameplay issues which argue in favour of lower damage, when you fire a burst into a Combine's chest and it just pisses him off, something ain't right. As it stands, the smg is demoted to backup weapon as soon as you've aquired the shotgun and the AR-2. I very seldom fired mine in the levels following Ravenholm. Again, I know FPS weapons are designed to facilitate challenging gameplay rather than depict reality, but it would be cool if the MP7's armour piercing capabilties were reflected in the model.
I'm palying through HL1, for the first time now and finding the old smg to be a similar disappointment--an inaccurate bb gun with an (admittedly useful) grenade launcher attached. If HL2's smg at least had an iron sight-style zoom it might be useful for headshots at distance. Nope, it's about as useful as a football bat--at least once you get beyond spitting distance.

Generally, though, I'd like to see every combatant in the game (Gordon included) become deadlier but less resilient to damage. Just my opinion.

There's so much ammo for it an increase in damage would be total overkill. I like the smg, and use it almost exclusively during the coast section. Though they bodged it up with Episode 1 though, and now it sounds completely retarded.

Well I don't remember what the hell it sounded like in episode one and noww it's off my computer(Well, I played it through 3 times). If too much ammo is the case then they could easily make an ajustment to it's ammo storage capacity. We are ofcourse talking only 1 more damage per shot. They could even make it more powerful and slightly more accurate therefore half the ammo capacity. Or however much it would take to balance it. That way it would be reasonably superior to the hand pistol but the player would still be forced into using the pistol because the S.M.G. doesn't hold an ammo crates worth of bullets.

I'm going to have to disagree with modifying the SMG for two reasons.

The first is that you simply can't have it all. As it stands, I find all weapons to be fair and balanced and suited for their own specific purpose. With regards to the comparison between pistol and SMG, the SMG carries 45 rounds and does 1 less damage while the pistol only carries 18 rounds. The ROF on the SMG is also, of course, markedly higher than the pistol. This is also the reason the pistol is far more accurate. Higher ROF = less accuracy.

The Overwatch standard issue AR2 is a good example of this. 8 dmg per shot but you burn through a 30-round clip in a second, and if you don't burst-fire the aim is all over the place. The SMG on the other hand will at least keep its bullets in a very small area on the target even if you just hold down mouse1.

Every weapon has its strengths and weaknesses and a very specific use. As it stands I find them all fair and balanced.

The second reason is just my personal opinion that I've never found the SMG lacking in any way. The SMG has always been my main weapon, both the mp5 in HL and the MP-7 in HL2, both in single and multiplayer. Especially in multiplayer, it really is often the best weapon to use. Huge clip, good damage, quick reload, attached grenade launcher...so I've never thought of the SMG as a flawed weapon or a weapon that needs any kind of modification. That's my personal take on it.

Well, the feel of the SMG in HL2 was always right (Halo2, I'm looking at you and your shitty peashooters). However! If you *do* hold down mouse1 to fire, the bullets go everywhere. No, seriously Darkside, after I obtained the shotgun and AR2, I never used the SMG again. Except for HL2 deathmatch, of course. And lobbing grenades at the strider at the end of Aftermath...

The grenade attachment is a nice touch.

The only thing the SMG needs is variable recoil. Crouching, standing still, running whilst jumping - all have the same cone of fire, and from the first shot of the clip to the last, the recoil pattern is the same. SMOD's SMG, which rectifies all this, feels fantastic.

Automatic weapons are not accurate devices.

Very true, exceptions go to specially designed automatic weapons ("Steyr" for instance) but overall the accuracy is a horrible thing in them.

I agree with jondy that the SMG needs a variable recoil. A better accuracy when crouching would be alright. Standard HL2 accuracy when standing still and horrible accuracy when running jumping and such.

remember in the early e3 2003 days? the gun had more damage, 30/150 rounds and was more accurate

but it shot slower

Nope, your wrong there. The Marines in H-L 1 had 50 H.P. the Alien grunts had 70 H.P. There was a console command that told you how much H.P. the monster you were looking at had. I'm sorry, but there is no way the S.M.G. did 10 dmg per shot if it had 50 bullets...that's 500 dmg out of 1 magazine. It was more like 5 me thinks...

No, seriously Darkside, after I obtained the shotgun and AR2, I never used the SMG again. Except for HL2 deathmatch, of course.
Really? That thing's my friend in singleplayer, we're tight. I actually liked using the SMG more than the AR2 because I could handle it better. The bullets were always accurate for me, even without bursting.

Really? That thing's my friend in singleplayer, we're tight. I actually liked using the SMG more than the AR2 because I could handle it better. The bullets were always accurate for me, even without bursting.

Shotgun was my buddy. :D

It's a general-purpose weapon, so it makes sense for it to be the most limited. I use it as a grenade launcher with a convenient secondary fire "bullet mode".

The bullets, however, are awesome against smaller aliens like fast headcrabs and whatnot, and it has the most ammo out of all the guns.

That said, the one in the E3 videos seemed much more accurate and thus more badass.

I'd say the SMG is useful for antlions-that is, if you're ever attacked by them. You never have to worry about accuracy, there's a large clip to accommodate the abundant amount of attacking antlions and the creatures don't have all that much health anyway.

The only time I seriously used it after acquiring the AR2 and shotgun was in the coast sections, only because the buggy had an impulse 101 ammo pack on the back.

if you're ever attacked by them

How could I forget a whole chapter?! Seriously, how did Highway 17 slip out of my mind? The only time antlions were really attacking me was Highway 17 but I was rarely hurt by them so I can see how it escaped my mind. In Sand Traps I avoided them and in Nova Prospekt I had control of them so that's what led me to write the quoted text above. I guess the reason why I didn't edit my earlier post in this thread is probably because I wanted to get my post number up. But second of all, who am I talking to? I really need to get some sleep... Starting to lose my mind...

I'm the only one who like the SMG! Honestly, on my first playthrough I barly used the AR2.

I don't mind it, it's good to me in HL2DM. But even them I like to charge blindly at opponents swinging my crowbar...

Well, for better accuracy you could play Garry's mod, weapons are overkill, the pulse rifle is ridiculously accurate.

Garry's Mod modified the weapons?

No weapons were edited for Garry's Mod, the only thing i can think of are LUA weapons.

I think you should make your mom more powerful or more accurate.

I think the SMG is fine as it is now. The one weapon change I'd like to see is the shotgun's double blast. It should make a real boom and fly out of Freeman's grip like it does in Half-Life; at present it's more like an elastic band powered spud gun.

I think the SMG is fine as it is now. The one weapon change I'd like to see is the shotgun's double blast. It should make a real boom and fly out of Freeman's grip like it does in Half-Life; at present it's more like an elastic band powered spud gun.

Yeah that always bothered me, it's like "LOOK AT ME DOUBLE BARREL! I FEEL LIKE RAMBO WITH THE MACHINE GUN!"

Back