New Source engine beta available for testing!

Source_Engine_Beta_shortcut.jpg

Current Known Issues

* There is a problem loading de_nuke in mat_dxlevel 80 and 81.
* Beta users using SourceTV functionality may not be compatible with non-beta users.
* Mods that were built off of HL2 will continue to run the publicly released engine. Mods that were built off of CS:S, DoD:S, or HL2DM will use the beta engine.
* The Linux Dedicated Server is not affected by this beta; Win32 Dedicated Server is updated by this beta.

Update Wednesday May 10th, 2006

Initial beta release.

Partial beta engine changes. (Many of the changes in this engine update are Episode 1 specific and are not relevant to this beta. These changes are not listed here.)

Source Engine

* Bloom (HDR level 1) supported on DX8 cards (previously, dx9-only)

SourceTV

* added SourceTV port and delay time to "status" output if SourceTV is active.
* fixed SourceTV relays unabled to connect to "sv_lan 1" servers.
* fixed SourceTV reporting correct password restrictions.
* fixed SourceTV bots joining game even if command line specified "-nohltv".
* added new command "net_status" that shows more detailed information about total and average packet loss, latency, packets/sec and bandwidth.
* added convar "tv_autoretry 1" so relay proxies try to reconnect after connection crashed/timed out.
* added convar "tv_timeout" to specify connection timeout limit in seconds.
* fixed disappearing weapons in SourceTV.
* fixed spectator chat on relay proxies.
* improved spectator client dispatching, faster and better balanced.
* fixed SourceTV crash during changelevel.
* fixed command tv_record chrashing relay proxies.
* reduced SourceTV CPU demand.

so, if i start using the beta engine, can i still play dod:s with people using the normal one ? i'll test it myself soon if i have the time.

"Mods that were built off of CS:S, DoD:S, or HL2DM will use the beta engine."

I am guessing not. But try it out.

So what new things is in this beta...is it super high tech next-gen graphics or is it just some basic bug fixes (what i can see from the list) :/

Yes you can. It doesnt effect you playing with people not useing it. Love the new Source tv updates its really needed for the people who play in leagues.

Cant wait to see the HL2:E1 engine updates :)

Supposedly people are reporting a performance increase in CS:S, I guess they've optimized the game some more.

Just added the line now, restarted Steam and now i've gotta re-update CSS, DoD: S and HL2: DM :| ... ah well, seems to be going fairly quickly, even if i had already done this update a few days back.

Wow, they added Bloom support to DX8 level cards, that is impressive. Then again, I think it would be quite a performance hit, as DX8 level cards don't really have that much power.

I'm too lazy to test the new source engine beta. Someone test it for me.

Opinions?

2gb ram, 128mb AGP radeon 9600 (dx9) and a 2.8Ghz mobo and I get lag with bloom....

But its nice to see them letting others try it out!

oo, i usually play the source games maxed out, and on HDR maps when i have colour correction enabled it kills my fps completely, but after i added this beta engine command line i stuck it at max res for me and max settings and they all run beautifully :| as if i was playing on my recommended settings ... i love this!

Back