Portal Update - Hidden achievement & Viral Riddles [Updated]

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Portal has received an update, one line, check it out:[br]Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations. - Steam News[br]Timeline of events:
  • Surprise update, new achievement in Portal game[br]
  • Playing portal you find radios with red lights which turn green once placed in a particular location - giving out a random sound[br]
  • All 26 radios create distinct sounds, wav files have been processed[br]
  • Sound files produce 22 cryptic images with letters and numbers in and 4 morse codes[br]
  • Code is run through a md5 hash translation to give a number in the Kirkland, Washington area (not far from Valve)[br]
  • Number is an old data line (for modems) hosting a BBS and telnet[br]
  • A previous cryptic image gave clues to the user/password for the BBS connection - backup[br]
  • Lots of ASCII artwork has uncovered relating to Portal, Cave Johnson (founder of Aperture Science) and potential clues to a new Valve title.
Updates:[br]- All ASCII artwork filtered further and coloured - click here for image (By Auricom)[br]- New ASCII art showing female holding Portal gun (ASHPD) - blurred version[br] - New Portal update tonight - <a href="http://www.halflife2.net/2010/03/03/another-portal-update-new-hidden-sounds/]see more here[/url] (new ending for portal)

Check out the Portal forums
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Some crazy speculation going on there.

As mentioned in that thread, there is a new achievement:

acccc.jpg

EDIT

OK, I tried something just now.

Load Portal. The first chapter. You'll notice the radio will have a red light on it now. Pick up the radio, go through the first portal and then stand on the button (still holding the radio). The light will go green, a new achievement will unlock and the music will change to morse code.

Link

EDIT 2

The audio files are in the GCF which can be unpacked with GCFSacape. They are named dinosaur1.wav to dinosaur26.wav. But I don't know Morse code...

Dinosaur1.wav:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3uog2tKAQ

Oh god, I'm seriously getting hyped now.

LOL, Valve.

It's like Gabe asks "community sitrep?" - "the people are restless, sir" - "...throw them a bone".

Could be Glados rebooting herself...she could be waking up.

The morse code from those sound files has been translated and this is what it spells:

#1-Dinosaur 1
I-N-T-E-R-I-O-R
T-R-A-N-S-M-I-S-S-I-O-N
A-C-T-I-V-E
E-X-T-E-R-N-A-L
D-A-T-A
L-I-N-E
A-C-T-I-V-E
M-E-S-S-A-G-E
D-I-G-E-S-T
A-C-T-I-V-E

#2-Dinosaur 5
9-E-J-0-7-D-3-7-2-B-B-6-8-2-6-B-D-8-1-D-3-5-4-2-A-4-1-9-D-6
(Which sanitysama says is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog")

#3-Dinosaur 12
S-Y-S-T-E-M
D-A-T-A
D-U-M-P
A-C-T-I-V-E
U-S-E-R
B-A-C-K-U-P
A-C-T-I-V-E
P-A-S-S-W-O-R-D
B-A-C-K-U-P
A-C-T-I-V-E

#4-Dinosaur 17
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-P

B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P

B-E-E-P
B-E-E-E-E-P
B-E-E-P
B-E-E-P

And if you turn all those Beeps into individual morse code it spells LOL.

Okay, somewhere on the web, there has to be a program that converts morse code in a sound file to text ...

Holy shiii----

dino9z.jpg

Damn you Valve. I was going to have an early night in.

Wait...

Oh how the hell did I miss seeing it.

I knew it was strange when the message was sent from Judith. She was running away from the camera with the combine standing right there, and I thought to myself: "How did she send that transmission if the combine had the recording?" So I chalked it up to the combine, thinking they were obviously were the ones sending it back to the Citadel. That may still be the case.

But then there was that Borealis footage. So that obviously meant that the borealis was the project, Judith had found it and returned to her base to send the footage in the message. But that didn't make sense, she had to be the one making the transmission if she was hiding the data in the carrier wave.

Perhaps it wasn't. Perhaps Judith never found the Borealis. Perhaps someone else hid the data in the carrier wave. Well, not someone, something...

It has BEGUN!!! I ****ing LOVE Valve!!! Man i love this shit HYPE is going through the ****ing roof!!! Cant wait to see where this leads!!!

This is pretty dang exciting. I wonder what they're plotting...(no, no need to wonder really :D)

I suppose the only thing left now is for someone to get the achievement. Everyone is stuck on 22 or 23.

Portal forum discussion thread! Gogogo!

Once every single person who purchased Portal unlocks the achievement, Episode 3 will hit the shelves.

Got the achievement at last.

Also, this:

<+Robin> The number you people are non-stop telnet accessing is someone's home.
<+Robin> They called Valve support absolutely outraged that they were getting all these requests with "password" requests dealing with Half-Life and Portal.

<+Robin>: Find the missing number, find the missing radio, find the missing link. That is all.

Anyone got an old skool modem and a landline? Come on Steam chat!

The phone number and zipcode takes you to an H&R Block building in Kirkland, WA on Google Earth/Maps/whatever.

Wow this is clever stuff. Got the settings right to use a BBS with an old modem.
Gets us here - http://imgur.com/5wbap

We don't know the username and password. Stuck for the time being.

MFL found something labeled advisor_supreme.ctx in the files. I saw a picture regarding a v_portalgun2.vtf file too. Shit is getting real.

Also Calhoun found something about big macs GAYBEN CONFIRMED FOR FAT

How do you enter username and password?

Also, Glados Version 3.11 = MARCH 11TH = GDC

Some dude named CatZilla got the right login/pass.

sNO9z.png

Username: backup
password: backup

PAKSf.png

Looks like ASCII GlaDOS.

Edit: Some more stuff. Looks like people are getting different images and responses when using different login/pass. I think this one used cjohnson and the md5 hash number that had been deciphered.. or something like that.

58587004.jpg

Back