Raptor HDD

predatowned

Reaction score
Is it worth it? its $155+a 20 dollar rebate on newegg right now. I read the reviews, and there very mixed. people are saying it's speed only shines when in a Raid setup. I will only be getting 1, so Raiding these is out of the question, at least for now.:rolling: Anyone have one that can share their personal experiences with the drive?

Right now its speed vs size. I could get the faster raptor with less space, (74gigs), or get a seagate 7200rpm 250gig for 108.00.

what should I do?

I don't own one but after talking with people who do have them and looking at statistics, I'd have to say no. I beat everyone to BF2/CSS servers flawlessly with my SATA.

I have pondered same thing as well and have come to the conclusion that I am getting 2 160/250 and putting them in RAID 0
Bigger size/less noise/I think its cheaper.
This way it should pretty much only be beat at the search times but not so much when u just transfer a lot of big files like when loading a game.

you can either get one with 74 gigs (raptor) or a much larger one (200+ gigs) for the same price, i'd go for that...

Decide for yourself...

Raptors are the best performing non-SCSI HDDs out there, hands down.

If some people can't understand that your paying more per gig for the 10,000 RPMs, thats their loss.
Fact is they have the fastest read/write and access speeds of any SATA.

And now WD has released the 150gig Raptor that has a 16MB Buffer and can use NCQ. Infact, this new Raptor is beating out alot of the SCSI drives for performnace, which is pretty insane.

Really what you'd want to do is have a Raptor for your OS, Apps and Game, and use a cheaper HDD for storage.

I went from a single IDE drive to a Raptor (nothing in between) and it blew my mind how much faster it was going. How it would have compared to a lesser SATA I'll never know.

I've seen some people go with 1 Raptor for their OS, and then like another 250GB or bigger SATA drive for games. As for me...I have 4 Raptor drives. 1 drive is JBOD and the other 3 are RAID-0. Blazing speed.

I have a raptor and it rocks. Load times are insane.

i never said they wouldnt be the fastest desktop out there you can get, but as long as you dont have a real high end rig it won't be worth it.

From benchmarks 1 Raptor is actually a better value than RAID 0. They don't show a big increase with 2 drives over 1.

A single raptor drive is plenty fast as it is. I have a 74GB raptor and I love it.

Asus said:
From benchmarks 1 Raptor is actually a better value than RAID 0. They don't show a big increase with 2 drives over 1.

Well, I'm sure the RAID's access time was around the Raptors. But since RAID dosent really increase read/write performance, it's not really fair to compare to a Raptor.

hmm, tough choice. The difference isnt worth the extra money, imo. I'll just get the seagate. I thought about it, and size is a bigger factor then speed in my case anyway. with the IDE drive i have now, i'm usually always the 1st one in my games. the rest of my system makes up for it i guess. So, going to a SATA drive period will be an improvment.

what I might get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065

think i should get the raptor still?

predatowned said:
I've heard alot of bad things about maxtor. are they good?

Pfft... probably BS.
I have 2 that I've run for over 3 years now, work just fine.

But of course the people that make the most noise about something on the internet are usualy bitching about it.
lol

WhiteZero said:
Pfft... probably BS.
I have 2 that I've run for over 3 years now, work just fine.

But of course the people that make the most noise about something on the internet are usualy bitching about it.
lol

haha, word. Thanks for the help guys.

I'd go with the Baracud, I have one and it's super silent, runs cool, and a very nice warranty.

I have the same dilema as predatowned! Identical... barracuda vs raptor...

what about the raptor's temps, noise and stability compared to barracuda's? Is it too diferent?

I'll be building a gaming rig(just gaming, nothing else, not even music), wouldn't be better to have rpms over gigs?

A raptor runs pretty hot, if you ask me. Unfortunately I can't provide comparison info. Right now my biggest problem is airflow between the HDs and the video card and I don't have room for 5 1/2" bay coolers for both of em! Sounds like it's time for me to buy that CM Stacker case I've been looking at...but I digress.

As far as "rpms over gigs", if you have a 74gig raptor as your only hard drive you might start to get slim on space after long enough. It just happens. But you're welcome to try, cuz it's not like you can't buy a big slow cheap HD later to move extra stuff onto.

WhiteZero said:
Soo.... which are you going with?
;)

umm, prolly the maxtor. 16mb cache vs 8mb. one of the reviews on the seagate said that the seek time was wrong, that its actually slower then what newegg advertises. its slower on SG site. i went to seagate and found no difference in the specs between newegg and SG, so i dont know what he was talking about...

Back