*Response from Valve* Memory could not be read

hynsey

Hunter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I like i know so many of us have been experiencing the issue with "Memory could not be read" crash out of game, at various stages. I emailed Gabe yesterday, and this morning with update on some actions, and Erik from Valve sent me this response.

Sent: 18 November 2004 17:21
To: michael.*****@*****.ie
Cc: Doug Valente
Subject: RE: HL2 Memory Could Not be read error

Hi Michael,

We're investigating this issue right now. Knowing the results of your test would be very useful.

When you're down redownloading, can you share the results?

It would also be useful to know anything you remember from the preload/unlocking phase of Half-Life 2's launch.

Erik

Confirmation they're looking into it, so lets all hope resolution is soon. Good news anyway.

Email them back but give them the link to the thread about this problem in this forum. All kinds of solutions and tests were tried there.

At least we know they are trying to fix it now. Good to have confirmation that they are working on it.

cool thx for sharing your post m8 nice to know that they are at least looking in to it :)

Hi, I am having the same problem, I get a videocard error (one that I can't read because all I can do is restart the computer, but I figure that is what it is. But it occurs right after loading only in the game Half-life 2. I meet all system requirements and am running the Intel Extreme Graphics Card that comes built in with alot of Pentium 4 processors in computers lately. It plays the game find between loads, and I can get on the game and play until I get to a loading screen. I hope this info helps you guys out, hopefully it helps me out too : P.

Thanks,
Aaron

ok now this is good news. hopefully valve will start on trying to fix this memory problem asap..

Emailed response with thread link yesterday evening. Lets hope a fix is out soon.

The first good news this morning :)

Hope I'm able to play the game next week :(

This is most likely just a memory leak... I think that you get that error message when all of your RAM and Virtual RAM is full, a program tries to write to your RAM, gets denied, and then tries to read what it wrote...

Only time it ever happened to me I had put textures and model detail on high on a 512mb ram system with my page file locked to 768mb and a 128mb video card, and Windows XP gave me a bunch of helpful messages explaining exactly what had happened and that I needed to make my page file bigger.

Back