"The Crossing" World Premiere

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
This game is not being developed by Valve, but it seems they may have their hand in it in one way or another. "The Crossing" has been debuted on the 1UP show, but only as a small teaser trailer. The game is developed by Arkane Studioshttp://www.arkane-studios.com/en/the-crossing.php, the guys behind Dark Messiah, and are getting help from the art director behind Half-Life 2 - Of course, it's using the Source Engine... That in itself says a lot about the game already.[br]A video from 1UPhttp://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8142 explains as much as it can explain for the moment, so do not expect much to be divulged. "The Crossing" will be the cover feature in next months issue of Games for Windows. Also, next season on the 1UP show, there will be a full trailer premiere and information blowout.[br]Stay tuned!

ehh, I bet they've over hyped it way more than it should be. Dark Messiah was meant to be "as good as" Oblivion.

The trailer looked really, really, gorgeous. And if this is just some advanced co-op from the start, that's pretty awesome.

What about it being an FPS-MMORPG-CO-OP hybrid? I can't think of any examples of them, though it seems very obvious. Thousands of people all fighting together against some evil army...

Just an idea :)

He said "to see if its too grand for the time"... I'd suggest that 'grand' either implies that its an MMORPG or that it has a huge open map. I'd go for the former one myself. Everyone knows that an MMORPG is a great way to make lots of money as you can charge monthly...

So it's pretty much Co-Op to the next degree?

Interesting. :)

Looks AWESOME too... I'm definitely going to keep a careful watch on this one!

"Fusing Singleplayer with Multiplayer"

What teh fook? I'm guessing it's like Sven Co-op except real players can play as the bad guys aswell.

Looks nice enough from the little bit of gameplay footage.

HOLY SHIT ****ING SH(T!!!!>"lsdcaPSKO:DKJAW)(R#U )$%QIAWDA
SD

IM FEEEEEELLLIIINNNGGGGG IT AGAIN>>>!!!!

ANNDNDNDN

IIII

LOOOVOVEVVEEEEE

IITITITITIT>!>>!!!

...I see nothing to get excited about.

It's just a co-op game.
Posting this after watching the video, I didn't even realize the video was there. :X

Im guessing, that you can play singplayer. And the multiplayer is just singplayer but multiple people can join. Then when someone wants to play singleplayer he plays against all those guys.

Pretty much like co-op except you would still be playing multiplayer...

Anyone get me?

Or its probably completely different.

I don't think it's co-op either, plenty of devs have done co-op

Looks reasonably interesting from the video. I kinda got the impression that both single and multiplayer will be joined. AKA you play a single player campaign with your character which you take online. Except that's not new so I have nfi.

"Fusing Singleplayer with Multiplayer"

What teh fook? I'm guessing it's like Sven Co-op except real players can play as the bad guys aswell.

Looks nice enough from the little bit of gameplay footage.

yeah, thats what am thinking. They probably replace some of the story npc's with with actual players when available.

yeah, thats what am thinking. They probably replace some of the story npc's with with actual players when available.

I reckon something like that.

I agree that it'll likely be something more... interesting than "just co-op". They wouldn't coin a term (or at least use an existing term in a different context) for a long-established feature, like co-operative gameplay.

I'm assuming there's a (kind of) MMO element, possibly similar to the continuity introduced by the MP "campaign" game mode seen in Dark Messiah.

Team 1 Objective: Kill Team 2.

Team 2 Objective: Uh... Kill Team 1. Or get me a beer. Lazy gits.

All amongst HL-esque NPC chatter and objectives and setpieces, of course.

But then...

"What the... those elite soldiers in Team Whatever are human players?!"

I don't know... a bit like GDI and the Brotherhood of Nod in the C&C series? People who play Side 1's singleplayer will have the opportunity to encounter people playing Side 2's singleplayer?

Reminds me of community attempts to make a story-driven persistent world module for games like Neverwinter Nights...

Goddamn Arkane/Valve/1UP/CFW Magazine! Now you've got me interested.

Haha, I hope I got you interrested by my video...At least i hope you watched it -.-

It sounds like a really neat concept. its an idea that i had along time ago for a mod that would be single player, but anyone could spawn in and take the place of any or certain badguys, or good guys along the way. that way the game would play totally different each time. on the down side though, people not interested in playing the game, only ruining it, would be playing.

everything looked wayyyy too muh like hl2 though. is this some sort of hl2 storyline, like portals or something?

Everyone knows that an MMORPG is a great way to make lots of money as you can charge monthly...

If it a pay to play game [like WoW] then i know this is a game im going to skip

No matter how good a game is i just cant justify paying every month to play the game...

If it a pay to play game [like WoW] then i know this is a game im going to skip

No matter how good a game is i just cant justify paying every month to play the game...

As far as hours of entertainment vs cost goes MMPORPGs are about the cheapest things going, save onanism and CS. You get unlimited play time per month for the same amount of cash that would buy you a night at the cinema (if your lucky).

One thing I find odd is that in the video clip the guy talks about Valve, but this crossing game is coming from Arkane. What exactly is Valves input into it, save their former art director is involved (he left them before Episode one to set up a studio in Paris).

Well it's using the Source engine so naturally Valve has something to do with it.

Well it's using the Source engine so naturally Valve has something to do with it.

Arkane own a Source Engine Licence, that doesn't actually mean that Valve are obliged to help them design their game in anyway. Valves only obligation is to help with technical issues relating to the sold software. Say you buy a Mac to make films on, that doesn't mean Steve Jobs is entitled to a credit.

As far as hours of entertainment vs cost goes MMPORPGs are about the cheapest things going, save onanism and CS. You get unlimited play time per month for the same amount of cash that would buy you a night at the cinema (if your lucky).

One thing I find odd is that in the video clip the guy talks about Valve, but this crossing game is coming from Arkane. What exactly is Valves input into it, save their former art director is involved (he left them before Episode one to set up a studio in Paris).

i dunno, its like saying that if you can get crack for 20 dollars a month its a good thing. theres nothing good about mmorpg's, ive seen them destroy lives. I had to get my nephews hooked on counterstrike just to pull them away from the evil gayness of runescape.

Everybody shutup and play a real game like css. ;)

Ive they are addicted to runescape, they deserve to die.

i dunno, its like saying that if you can get crack for 20 dollars a month its a good thing. theres nothing good about mmorpg's, ive seen them destroy lives. I had to get my nephews hooked on counterstrike just to pull them away from the evil gayness of runescape.

I didn't say they were necessarily good, just that they are exceptionally cheap forms of leisure time entertainment when you look at the cost vs the time. People love to try and equate some stigma to pay to play, but the reality is with pretty much all multiplayer games, someone somewhere is footing the bill. Even CS servers don't run for free (our clan pays out about 800 quid a year to maintain our public and match servers for CS and DoD).

I'm having a lightbulb-over-my-head moment.

It started when Valve included that new map system for Counterstrike. When in Spectator mode, you could see paths being generated by the players. I had the idea that what if Valve was collecting data from players on their playing styles, routes taken, aggressive or defensive player etc.

What if this data is going to be used in the crossing to make more of a realistic AI?

I'm having a lightbulb-over-my-head moment.

It started when Valve included that new map system for Counterstrike. When in Spectator mode, you could see paths being generated by the players. I had the idea that what if Valve was collecting data from players on their playing styles, routes taken, aggressive or defensive player etc.

What if this data is going to be used in the crossing to make more of a realistic AI?

That actually sounds cool, but I'm getting the feeling that this is something bigger. Judging from what Shawn said in the 1Up Show, this is something huge. Huge as in "exploding people's heads because they can't understand it". Or something.

I realize it's not the public opinion, but I feel the two games Arkane has made as of now are some of the coolest games I've ever played. When looking at the trend, I think this is going to be some awesome stuff.

We'll see in January.

Back