The Void

Drackard

Tank
Reaction score
So, whilst searching for more bargains on Steam, I came across 'The Void' (http://store.steampowered.com/app/37000/).

I remember seeing something about this a while ago and liked the looks of it then. Has anyone else played this? Is it worth £9.99?

I've always been interested in Adventure Games (general point and click sort've thing), but have never taken the time to play many of them. Any other similar games which someone can recommend?

Trip Balls: The game. Haven't played it, want to if it's ever real cheap.

Yeah saw that earlier, so did! Good thing I waited! Now I just have to wait for my ISP to install new equipment into the exchange so I get my connection back before I can actually play it (or any game I've got from the Sale so far, for that matter!) :(

Play this game. Even if doing so requires you to surgically remove your testicals, you must play it.

Keep in mind that getting frustrated and angry as hell because you realized you've been doing something wrong for ten hours and got to a dead end, having to restart the game, is a fully intentional part of the game's design. A great deal of the experience is to learn how handle Color.

I loved it. I find it mesmerizingly beautiful and fascinating. One of my favorite game experiences to date. But I can also easily imagine why someone wouldn't like it.

If you like a (difficult) challenge, don't mind learning through experience (instead of being told how things work), have patience and can be fascinated by a beautiful world, The Void is a great bet.

Also, boobies.

I really want to try this. There are two impediments to this goal. Somewhat low funds, and...I hate time limits. I suck under pressure. I might end up buying this anyway, eventually.

There are psychedelic boobies in the game.

I really want to try this. There are two impediments to this goal. Somewhat low funds, and...I hate time limits. I suck under pressure. I might end up buying this anyway, eventually.

Yes this. Not so much on the funds side, but the time limits thing and the part that Brick mentioned about how you can spend a lot of time doing something wrong are turning me off. Just because I don't have that much time to waste doing something wrong.

Someone has a Let's Play up for The Void though. I watched the first video (doesn't seem to have anything particularly spoiler-ish in it), and while it does look intriguing and aesthetically pretty, I'm not sure if I'll ever have the patience to get through it.

Also I exaggerated with 'ten hours' of time wasted, but I restarted the game twice after about 2-3 hours in. It was because I finally figured out, for example, how to plant trees efficiently. I didn't immediately get to a dead end, but it was worth starting over because it made things a lot easier.

After you've already been playing for a while (4 hours), the things you learn then are mostly details that you'll regret doing wrong all that time, but aren't game-stoppers. But it might make things more difficult for you. But as I said; regret, failure and misery are part of the game. You'll never feel comfortable doing anything, even by the time you really understand what you're doing.

That's how I experienced it. I'm sure there's plenty of people with horror stories. I can just advise you to be careful and thoughtful. And use the save functions.

Don't bother if you can't get over:
patience,
always being told you're doing it completely wrong,
failure,
or when you are an impatient perfectionist; you will screw things up and regret it.

I loved it for the beauty and elegance of it all. I find the atmosphere awe-inspiring. Beautiful music. I find the whole world fascinating, and the challenge of survival really appealed to me in this game. It's truly unique.

I fit pretty much all those criterias, The Brick.

Guess I'm best off avoiding it.:(

always being told you're doing it completely wrong,
failure

These two things I excel at :p, but that is besides the point. I may get it somewhere down the line, in any case.

Minorly bumping this thread to direct people to this excellent 'Let's Play' of The Void. This is your ticket if think you would enjoy the art side of the game, but not so much the tedious gameplay aspects. It's also great if you've already played it and would like to learn a lot more about the game and especially the characters.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510

It's done right. It does justice to the game with excellent commentary. Sadly it takes away some of the experience that you'd normally get from playing it. The fear of the unknown, feeling of loneliness and just figuring things out at the start are 'missing' parts of the experience. But on the other hand, the insightful commentary makes up for it. You get a lot of extra info and things you might miss, that I still learned a whole lot about the game, even though I spent 50 hours on my first playthrough (I'm a patient perfectionist).

I bought this during a Deal but its sucks I can't let someone borrow my Steam ID because I've been getting Vertigo and can't play too many games. I cut my game intake for the day at 1 hr and thats it! also Minecraft really makes me feel ill after a while and thank god this only happens in the summertime

wow, reading the eurogamer review this game sounds absolutely fascinating!! I may have to check this out even if i don't get very far in it o_O

Back