Where were you and what were you doing on 9-11

I was a few miles away from the towers at school. Didn't even know what happened until like 2 pm. One scary day, just plain total confusion.

For me, I was in my Freshman year of college (university for you Brits :)) in the dorms. My mom called at 6:53 in the morning to let me know that my dad was recalled to base (he was in the Air Force, retired now) because a plane crashed in to the World Trade Center. I went back to bed for 5 minutes thinking it was not that bad of a terrorist attack.

I then got up and turned on my laptop. I realized something horrible happened when every major news site on the internet was down. Some 20 minutes later I managed to have CNN.com load up and I read what happened. I was shocked.

9/11 is one of those events that I will always remember.

I was in 2nd period World Geography class, but my teacher for that class was really a US History teacher. So we just watched tv that whole period. And then did the same in 3rd period, which was gym class, except for about a month we just sat in the cafeteria for gym, so the tv's were on in there. I can't quite remember what happened 4th period (algebra2) but I think my teacher started class saying something religious since she's really religious. The rest of the day just felt pretty weird.

Varg|Hund said:
Wow. You people talked about it in school the days after? :|

You're surprised?!
Kinda' hard to ignore something like that don't you think? :hmph:

I just came home from school when my mum told me some plane had crashed into a building in the States. I didn't think much of it at first, then after watching some of the news more I realised it wasn't some ordinary planecrash. Stayed and watched the telly the rest of the day.

I was at home and mom came home and told me that a plane had crashed in to WTC. I did not really know what WTC was at that point and i thought it was just an accident. Then i turned on the news and saw the chaos. I was watching the news til 4 in the morning that day.

blahblahblah said:
I then got up and turned on my laptop. I realized something horrible happened when every major news site on the internet was down. Some 20 minutes later I managed to have CNN.com load up and I read what happened. I was shocked.

9/11 is one of those events that I will always remember.

Was the same with me, I heard about it on the radio on my way home from college then sat down at a computer to check out the news (before thinking to check the tv)...knew it was something major when CNN was inaccessible or refusing to load, then they just uploaded a really basic page which somehow had more impact than the content-rich news you're used to. Went into the living room and turned on the TV, thats when I knew it was major.

What happened on the 9th of November? ;)

What?!? Too soon?
Sorry if that caused offence.

This is the 2nd thread about this (not that I'm complaining, I started the other one).

I'll just copy and paste mine from the original:

I was at school when at 10:00 (9:00 Eastern) people starting talking about a plane crashing into one of the two towers in New York. I had a vague recolection of what these towers were and what they looked like..but I just thought "Wow, how dumb was that..."

Then around lunch time I heard that they think it was terrorists. Not really knowing of Terrorism before besides of when I played CS (I had started playing that summer). So I kind of pictured guys running around with AK-47's...

Around the time of school ending the principal sent out a notice about what happened and to watch the news on TV with my parents since some of it can be scary etc etc.

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Which is where most of the diverted planes from around the world were sent. The runways were full of planes. I used to have pictures of the airport...but I don't have them anymore. Also the two high schools in my area were housing people that were in the planes.

I was at school taking a test when the first plane hit the towers. It was a standardized test so everyone was quiet and I went the whole time not knowing that anything happened. I got my first sense that something was wrong when I went in the hallway and everyone was acting... funny. I went to lunch and sat down and started talking to my friends and we werent aware of it.

Then, all of a sudden, a guy came over and said something that sounded like "The trainstations were bombed!" and he kept repeating it over and over. He meant that the "trade centers were bombed", but he was breathing heavily. We told him to calm down because his speech was slurred and we didn't know what he was saying. Then, in the lunchroom, they turned the TV's on and we all watched the Tower's smoke.

The rest of the day was spent going from class to class talking about the incident and watching the news coverage. A thing that bothered me was the ignorance I witnessed in such a large scale. Everyone in the hallways at the end of the day was shouting "We are going to war" and "I hope I don't get drafted". I also remember the gas prices jumping to around $2.30 a gallon up from around $1.25 or so a gallon that morning.

The rest of my day, really week, was going to school and coming home and watching news coverage.

Was watching TV when my bro came in and told me to change to the News channel (he had seen the news on the computer). Watched the news for the rest of the day later on...

I remember when I was watching the news at school and how pissed I got when people were saying shite like "Cool" and were laughing when the towers fell, god damn I just remembered that.

I was at school watching it burn down :(. I was worried because both my parents work less then 5 blocks from WTC.

Was in a very cold science class, alot of the students left home for the day after the towers had been hit, and one class was even on a fieldtrip to a museum thus their fieldtrip ruined.. I remeber it being so cold and when the announcement came I looked up at the clokc, and I have never heard anythin about WTC until after..

JiMmEh said:
It didn't happen till about 2-ish here in the UK! :afro:

Yeah, I was in school when it happened. I didn't hear about it util i was getting a lift home from school by my friend. Then i got home and it was all over every TV channel. I maybe watched for an hour or so, then played some games...

I was at school during 1st period class and one the computer teachers came into my math class and told us one the world trade towers was hit.We all thought "Oh plane must have hit it by accident" and kept on working on our math.Then in 2nd period the 2nd plane hit and then we knew it was some kind of attack.After that the pentagon got hit and we all knew we was going to war.Some of the teachers were worried that they was gonna get drafted.....

I was at school, we had just gotten out of Spanish class (1st period if I recall) and we were starting up American History class. The principal came in and said airplanes had crashed into the world trade center towers. We watched on the TV as the towers burned. We watched a few minutes, and then turned them off and they made us go back to class. We didn't do any work, we just played some lame school games. People's parents started picking up students, after 6th period my dad came and picked me up. We went home and I said a prayer and then played video games. I played Asheron's Call. It's an online game. In the game, I went to the place where everyone traded and instead of seeing people bartering, everyone was kneeling and holding a torch. It was so weird

My dad was driving me and my friend Sarah to school. She told me that a small plane had crashed into the the world trade center. I thought it was simply an accident. When I arrived at school, about the time the pentagon was hit, I learned the horrifing truth.

I was sitting in 2nd hour, woodshop, and just working on a worksheet. It was around 10 minutes till the bell. Someone who went to the restroom came in and said "Hey, they're saying a plane hit the World Trade Center." The teacher led us to the cafeteria and we watched the news on the TV till the bell rang. I watched the 2nd plane crash, and was in shock. Watching the 2nd tower crash was simply heart-ripping. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

Also, I remember that day that prices of gas went from whatever they were, to $2.00, $4.00, and $6.00 /gal. Normally, it's a 9 or 10 cent increase.

school, math, at Texas. Told us the border was gonna close, left school, had a day off the next day.

I was in Ms.Stoll's chemistry class, 4th period, when another teacher came in and was like a plane just crashed into one of the towers. We all thought it was an accident or something and didn't tihnk it was anything too serious. Then kids were saying that another plane hit the other tower and we all started to tihnk it was a big rumor. Me and a couple of my friends went down into the basement where the tech rooms are b/c they have a cable tv connection down there and we saw it on the news. Then kids started getting pulled out of school b/c alot of kids parents work in the city and stuff like that. Some kids dad worked on the 82nd floor but was on a golf outting that day..

Dalamari said:
I remember when I was watching the news at school and how pissed I got when people were saying shite like "Cool" and were laughing when the towers fell, god damn I just remembered that.
Some Douche bag was the same in my school and i beat his ass. He was pretty gay, when our wood shop teacher heard about that i told him why and he let me off.

I also remeber being asked by a boat load of people asking what was gona happen and who it was, i was the only real person there in the school that knew anything in political affairs. My History teacher was right on the money, he told me on 9-11 that it was ossama bin laden or another organization like his. :eek:

I remember i was at first hour, when my teacher got a call from her nephew. She said that a plane had crashed into the WTC tower. Second hour, my teacher just said screw the class this is history, and rolled up a TV as we all watched. Rumors were wild about what was happeningv in the school, as happens whenever something major happens.

Enigma said:
My History teacher was right on the money, he told me on 9-11 that it was ossama bin laden or another organization like his. :eek:
No offence intended but no shit sherlock. I mean seriously, who else would (realistically) have done it, the pope?

SLH said:
No offence intended but no shit sherlock. I mean seriously, who else would (realistically) have done it, the pope?

Err, the other million or so terrorists out there?

Wow, you sure do know a lot about the world!

Err, anyway, I was in school. Some rumour went around about the Empire State Building falling down. I think I said "Well, shit." and carried on worrying about something that doesn't actually matter.

When I got home, I saw all the stuff on TV, and was like "Well, shit."

There isn't much you can say, but "Well, shit" really.

I was in my second week of Basic Training at Lackland AFB, Texas, doing drill. All the Training instructors were scrambling at the news.. The whole base was on highest alert until I got to Tech school that October. We didnt even get to see footage of the attack until my last week of training. We were upset and pissed at the same time. Still pissed.

Thats where I was on that day.

SLH said:

My god how ignorant are you? Al qaeda are not the only terror group in the world with a grudge against the US and its involvement in Israel.... Hizballah, Abu Nidal, Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Before 9/11 Al qaeda were virtual unknowns compared to these....

Enigma said:
Some Douche bag was the same in my school and i beat his ass. He was pretty gay, when our wood shop teacher heard about that i told him why and he let me off.

I also remeber being asked by a boat load of people asking what was gona happen and who it was, i was the only real person there in the school that knew anything in political affairs. My History teacher was right on the money, he told me on 9-11 that it was ossama bin laden or another organization like his. :eek:

Yeah, I remember my sister told me there were people like that in her class.. my blood pressure rises everytime I think about it... I believe it was meant for me not to be there that day, they're lucky... ooooh! talk about some hurtin' Mother******s :flame:

Kangy said:
Err, the other million or so terrorists out there?
If you look at the wording that Enigma said his/her history teacher used, it encompasses ALL terrorist organisations, which is exactly my point. (The history teacher did after all say , "or other organisation like his", which could mean any terrorist organisation).

You've actually enforced my point, so thanks. :)

EDIT: I see many people are saying the same thing, so what i said here goes to them as well.

SLH said:
If you look at the wording that Enigma said his/her history teacher used, it encompasses ALL terrorist organisations, which is exactly my point. (The history teacher did after all say , "or other organisation like his", which could mean any terrorist organisation).

You've actually enforced my point, so thanks. :)

EDIT: I see many people are saying the same thing, so what i said here goes to them as well.

Doesnt have to be an islamic group. After the oklahoma bombing everyone shouted 'islamic terrorists!!!' The FBI even questioned a pakistani national here in the UK that flew out of the US to heathrow in London for the sole reason that he was a muslim. The fact that the bomber was a white US citizen certainly shocked the US government and its people. The US all too often points the finger at who it wants to blame and not who IS to blame.

[Matt] said:
Doesnt have to be an islamic group. After the oklahoma bombing everyone shouted 'islamic terrorists!!!' The FBI even questioned a pakistani national here in the UK that flew out of the US to heathrow in London for the sole reason that he was a muslim. The fact that the bomber was a white US citizen certainly shocked the US government and its people. The US all too often points the finger at who it wants to blame and not who IS to blame.

Who said it had to be an islamic group??

I don't think the history teacher ment 'or other [islamic] organisation like his'.

If he did then he's guilty of pointing the finger as you've illistrated in your post (not that that was the point of my original post).

Perhaps i'm taking what he said out of context, but i think what the history teacher seems to have said is a VERY sweeping statement that covers pretty much anyone who may have done it.

I think it depends on how you look at what the teacher said, then.

I take that as "Bin Laden, Al Quieda or one of it's hundreds of splinter groups loosely associated with it".

SLH said:
Who said it had to be an islamic group??

I don't think the history teacher ment 'or other [islamic] organisation like his'.

If he did then he's guilty of pointing the finger as you've illistrated in your post (not that that was the point of my original post).

Perhaps i'm taking what he said out of context, but i think what the history teacher seems to have said is a VERY sweeping statement that covers pretty much anyone who may have done it.

I just take offence to your original statement and the fact you are trying to turn it back around.

[Matt] said:
I just take offence to your original statement and the fact you are trying to turn it back around.
?? How am i trying to turn it back around. You just mis-interperated what i said, and assumed i read the history teacher's quote the way you read it. :)
Sorry if i caused offence.

I got off the ferry from a to portsmouth, and when i got home it was all over the news! I went and said to my mum that a plane had crashed into the WTC but she didn't beleive me, until she got sick of me telling her and switched on the TV :p

At home when the first plane hit, at school when the second. Nobody made that big a deal about it, although we mixed in two hours of school with tv. I really didn't care all that much but nobody laughed or said it was cool. It seemed I was the only one who was thinking about future consequences to it; everybody else was just saying, "Oh shit", or ignoring it altogether.

I turned on the news (because I always watched the news in the morning for some reason) a couple seconds before the second plain hit.

i came back from school , and put the tv on, and it was on all channels, i was liek wtf? then i saw one of the planes cras h into one of the twin towers

i was tripping on mushrooms in kuta, bali (seriously.) worst come down ever.

Back