Would you like something changed in HL:S?

KingPing_NOR

Reaction score
Anything? Small/big changes?
Dont complain and say things like 'why would you want to change anything in HL?!' Im talking about minor changes here. Or major if someone whants.

I dont have time to post my ideeas right now, ill do it tomorow. :sleep:

There won't be any changes as they are literally just porting over HL1 to the Source engine which is essentially just re-compiling everything. The most notable changes will be the physics and the use of the shader system.

Ideally I'd love them to give the whole thing a complete overhaul with new models, new textures etc.

Modding half-life singleplayer has become a bit of a cult experience, with conversions like Darkstar and Redemption spawning a thousand user made levels because the monsters and weapons are so easy to balance, alot of people just love the style of the original game, so it could be an open project, the core components of half-life 1 but completely thrown to the floor for people to mod, improve and experiment with all the newer features, i still find myself playing the original game just because i got a new piece of code to try out, like cg glow and motion blur.

Maybe a hint or two of what we might see in the sequal. Im not saying anything major like putting Corosant in RotJ alas Star Wars but something simple.

hegele, you mean like:

1. Actually having Eli Vance somewhere in the beginning (recognizable, not a clone).
2. Getting rid of some of the clones and replacing them with new faces (while we're at it).
3. Have blueprints for the manipulator lying around somewhere.
4. In the opening when we begin teleporting to different parts of Xen during the resonance cascade, have us teleport to a location where the G-man is looking over documents of City 17.
5. Make the alternate ending actually playable. This could be like the Max Payne bonus levels where enemies keep coming and you must stay alive for as long as possible.
6. Have Gordon find Eli's wife.

The list could go on.

A True Canadian said:
5. Make the alternate ending actually playable. This could be like the Max Payne bonus levels where enemies keep coming and you must stay alive for as long as possible.
[...]
The list could go on.

Actually, that one would be pretty cool. Maybe not as part of the game, but as an unlockable mini-game it would be vey cool. :)

Like Chris_D, I'd ideally like a total overhaul that gives it HL2 level graphics, maps and models (AI even?).

But, more realistically, I'd like to see more small objects that the physics could interact with. Like having a firefight in the office complex, and having coffee cups and computer monitors flying everywhere.

Just adding higher-poly models would be good enough for me though.

Oh yeah, and remake Xen with bumpmaps and enough polys to save it from the graphical restrictions of yesteryear!

Those are great things to add A True Canadian!

I'm serious, i think it would be cool to see city 17 plans and blueprints of the manipulator, if it is infact a weapon concived in Black Mesa. :)

It would make the original 'that much' worth playing again for the fans.

so HL:S will hav the same textures and models of HL1?

IMO I will prefer a more realistic redesign

also I hear that someone looks a screenshot of HL:S in a magazine and say that the icthyosaur is changed

If valve wount do it! someoneelse(mod team) HAS to do it! making a full comversion!
With new textures/models/weapon models/minor changes like The True Canadian mentiond(Good ideas) and so on. If NOT! I'll......I'll!..........I'll!..........eat a biscuit in complet rage!

KingPing_NOR said:
If valve wount do it! someoneelse(mod team) HAS to do it! making a full comversion!
With new textures/models/weapon models/minor changes like The True Canadian mentiond(Good ideas) and so on. If NOT! I'll......I'll!..........I'll!..........eat a biscuit in complet rage!

I dunno about reverse-adding stuff. We don't want Gabe to go down the path of evil and turn into George Lucas. :x
They should leave the plot as it is, since it's fine.

I do, however, support adding more polies to the levels and models, and putting in some fancy textures.
Just leave the plot alone please! :)

Just small "hints" would be good.

I agree that dramatically changing Half-Life could result in it loosing it's credibility. Different AI and additional objects could completely alter the experience. It's something that must be dealt with in the best of care if it's going to work.

Little "easter egg" things like Manipulator blueprints in one of the labs wouldn't hurt.

7. Would anyone be opposed to adding "Barney" (not one of his clones) to the beginning of the tram ride? The one locked outside the door with the flashlight.
8. Or even have Adrien appear in the portal room just as we go through the void to Xen?

Just the little things. Easter Eggs. I don't think that these would alter the game in the slightest, and like hegle said, it would make you want to revisit Half-Life to see these hidden secrets.

What I want to see in the game....Well (and I apologise for anything repeated, it is however easier this way)

1.The obvious overhaul of all the asthetics, such as model poly count, textures and geometry.
2.No necessarily new areas, but perhaps expansion of certain areas which could have been bigger.
3.More details. Certain parts of the game seemed to sacrifice detail for size, however halflife2 wouldn't have this problem to sucha degree.
4.Easter eggs. Such as people have mentioned, perhaps blueprints to the manipulator. Easter eggs could be included before the accident, for example passing through labs and seeing the test of an early manipulator which is the size of a small room or something. You may seen Calhoun (Barney) and even meet him because in hl2 its obvious you already know him.(It would have to be at a aprt where he gets away but you are involved in something hectic)
5.Seeing some of the opposing force crew, as well as shephard perhaps seeing him in the portal room, and also seeing Barney hiding behind that vent when you are being dragged.
6.A complete averhaul of Xen, make it look ike it was ment to with lovely bumpmapped pulsating walls and a general alien/organic feel to everything.
7.Access to non story critical sections of black mesa(Like a room just off a lab you pass through which has info about something that happens in hl2 that related to black mesa) which perhaps offer some sort of insight into things to come.

Principally I'd like to see a diversity of appearance amongst the scientists you meet (eli, kleiner should all be identifiable) , also perhaps some female staff as well (with scream power). Without adding depth to the characters a straight conversion is going to suffer for the lack compared to HL². :(

Yeah, I think in hl2 they used some kind of random thing to make up the faces of the generic city 17 characters...they could do something similar with this.

I'd like to see new textures and re modeled weapons and stuff. As for the NCP's have em all different but have the main characters identifiable.
More objects ie books, computers cups ect like FEAR.
better sound effects.

I, too, would LIke to see remodeled weapons. ones with better detail. They could easily port the weapons that are the same in both games (i.e. crossbow, .357, pistol, shotty etc...) I love glocks and I'd love to see a REALLY well made glock be the pistol in HL:S not just the hl2 one.

Having the manipulator would be sweet imagine being able to pick up crates and barrels and stuff and smashing the enemies with them in HL1. ah the beauty there would be.

I fear a lot of these features we are suggesting may be modded into the game after they put it out, but not being able to put them all together in one version. So having soem way to do that would be nice.

Maybe on the escape level when you finally reach the surface to get to the lambda complex, back around the area where you activate the lasers there could be a dead caught headcrab that was being disected so you could see its parts and how exactly it latches on and zombifies you.

Yea, alot of good ideeas here. Hope Valve is reading this:p
Someone, be it valve or some mod team, HAS to do this sometime.

KICK IN THE DOOR ANIMATION, where you lower your gun and you are vulnerable for a sec...

I'd perfer a complete rehauling of the entire game.. (If I wanted to play it with the same old graphics, layout and sounds, then I'd just play the old version :D)

GFX
-Use the HL2 models (where applicable), and upgrade the rest to HL2 level.
-Get rid of the clone effect like Half-Life 2 is supposed to.

Levels
-Make the level geomotry on par with levels in HL2 (Texture Detail, level complexity, interactivty)
-No more floating antimassspectrometer egg pods or hovering ceiling fans,
-Get rid of obtuse visuals Like the offices seen on the tram ride which have no doors going to get in and out from and no windows
-Make Black Mesa more "realistic" The game just feels a little.. pre-planned, now-a-days. Confined and linear as well. I would like to see Valve (And Gearbox) take the four games (Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Decay), remake Black Mesa from the ground up, and rearrange things to make more sense logisticly (Why is there only one Bathroom in Half-Life? Why is there a rocket pad in the tram system?)

Story
-Add characters like Eli Vance and Dr. Kleiner to the game. Give them expanded roles.
-Put more emphasis onto the Crystals (One of Marc Laidlaw's laments.. He felt there should have been more emphasis on the fact that the crystal sample from the beginning of the game, the crystal that the nihilanth draws power from, and the large pointy thing in the Nihilanth's head are all related)
-Give more choices in how to proceed

Little Touches
-Add Security Guard Zombies and Soldier zombies to the game.
-Make Barney Calhoun (Seen at the beginning of the tram ride) more unique amoungst his peers (And have him wearing no armour or helmet)
-Add out of uniform security guards, fat security guards, out of lab coat scientists and etc. etc. to the game to make things look less repetive. Hell, they can add some more females while they're at it.
-Something that's always bugged me is how the soldiers talked like they were speaking through radios, but there's a few of them who aren't wearing anything over their mouths.. so they literally speak like talking through a radio even though they're not.. I would have their mouths covered with mouthpieces.
-Any other improvements made in HL2 (Like the HEV's suit "group command" thingy seen in the E3 video) should be brought back to HL1, unless there's a storyline reason for not doing so (Like if your HEV suit got upgraded or something)

Opposing Force/Blue Shift
-Whenever you see Freeman in the HEV suit, he should be wearing his HEV helmet.
-In Op4, show more of Race-X abducting BMRF personal and Xen aliens, and more of a conflict between the Xen aliens and Race-X (Like it was reported in previews before the game came out.)

Decay
-Add decay, and add back the misssions that were apparently cut from the final version. Also, put helmets on Gina and Colletta, and take out the stupid yelling they do :D

There's probably more things that can be improved upon, but whatever. Barring this massive ammount of changes, I hope they go with the PS2 version of HL, since it fixed a lot of glaring level issues (like the tram offices I mentioned above) had higher resolution models than even the High Definition Pack, and had cool touches like the HEV and Medkit terminals having "arms" that reach out and heal/recharge you.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

The levels in half life 2 look huge. Perhaps they can redo the levels in half life 1 so you dont have to load every 30 seconds *cough*tram ride*cough*. You could probably do the intro maps in to 2 or 3 instead of 8 or more like in the original half life, and all it would take is some copying and pasting in worldcraft. :)

Photo-Realistic texture for the game, I'm not particullary interested in bump-mapping.

However updating the NPC's and weapon models help as well

Making the last levels of the game actually worth a damn would be a good little thing to change.

I personally didn't like it very much and apparently I'm not alone on that. It was just extremely repetitive, and the quality was out of place when compared to the earlier parts of the game. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah, the zen platforms isent anything you can do about, without changing ti much. But the last zen levels(indoor) could be alot better. Esspecialy with the bette texturs, geometry(instead of all flat wall, and box formed rooms) and so on. Making the last levels more special.

And ofcours, the last boss fight. Not changing to much of the mecanics. mostly the gfx.

Illegal Amigo said:
What are you talking about Soundwave? I loved Xen.

I thought Xen was alright, but I would find it interesting to find out more about the Flora and Fauna.

You realise they are actually going to update the whole game's graphics? I personally don't know about the AI or little Easter Eggs, but VALVe is definately not stupid, and wouldn't release a remake with the same outdated graphics and textures, and make people repay for it. This is Half-Life: Source guys, Like Counter-Strike source, and you know that's a graphical overhaul.

dekstar said:
You realise they are actually going to update the whole game's graphics? I personally don't know about the AI or little Easter Eggs, but VALVe is definately not stupid, and wouldn't release a remake with the same outdated graphics and textures, and make people repay for it. This is Half-Life: Source guys, Like Counter-Strike source, and you know that's a graphical overhaul.

Hmm.. then why have they said that they aren't redoing the graphics and that it's pretty much just going to be a straight port with just a few nips and tucks.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I recon that Valve could make more money by remaking [re-modeling] HL than if they just ported it to the Source engine

I really dont want any changes at all.
They would only ruin the memories :(

Conveniently alot of HL2 models and textures look useable for fixing up the original HL. Can the editor open up the original game's levels, to keep everything basically the same, but updated looking(textures creatures etc)

Some of the weapons that would be in it are already in source(CS:S if they would let people use the weapon models) everything but the high tech scifi stuff like the tau cannon or firehose of death would be ready.

There should be one centralized effort to fix HLS up to HL2 standards so everything can be enjoyed together.

Also whats this Race-X and Decay? I've had HL op4 and blueshift for a very long time and haven't heard of these things.

True_Eraser said:
Conveniently alot of HL2 models and textures look useable for fixing up the original HL. Can the editor open up the original game's levels, to keep everything basically the same, but updated looking(textures creatures etc)

Some of the weapons that would be in it are already in source(CS:S if they would let people use the weapon models) everything but the high tech scifi stuff like the tau cannon or firehose of death would be ready.

There should be one centralized effort to fix HLS up to HL2 standards so everything can be enjoyed together.

Also whats this Race-X and Decay? I've had HL op4 and blueshift for a very long time and haven't heard of these things.

Race-X were most of the new aliens in Op4 (Pit Drone, Shock Trooper, Shock Roach, Spore Laucher, Voltigore (Not to be confused with the Vortigaunt, ie: the alien slave), Pit Worm and Geneworm (The last boss). The story behind them (at least, that we learned from various previews and what not) is that they detect all the mass teleporting going on at Black Mesa during the incident and invasion, and go to investigate. (Which is why Gordon never saw them.. he left before they starting showing up in decent numbers) They were supposed to be seen abducting Xen aliens and Humans alike, along with being at war with the Xen aliens themselves, but we really didn't see too much of that.

Decay was a PS2 exclusive Co-Op episode starring two female scientists a Black Mesa (Gina Cross, AKA the Hazard Course chick, and Collette Green)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I hope it has the ability to pick up stuff with your hands like HL2 does. All games should have that.

Ah, I thought that those were just xen aliens that you didn't run into in the original half life.

Something I'd really like to see is a They Hunger: Source

True_Eraser said:
Ah, I thought that those were just xen aliens that you didn't run into in the original half life.

Something I'd really like to see is a They Hunger: Source

*inserts obligitory "Wouldn't that make more sense to put onto the Doom3 engine" flame*

:D

Seriously though, why settle for They Hunger: Source? They Hunger: Episode 4 baby! :D

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

dekstar said:

No, they've said they're not updating textures, models, or anything else. All we get is physics, fancy water, and some new effects.

Back