2008 - 10 times the power of a P4. Dual core

Link

Tank
Reaction score
From the register (click here for full story)

Smith claimed by 2008, multi-core chips will offer ten times the performance of an "initial Pentium 4" processor, compared to the threefold gain today's HyperThreading chips provide. Next year, dual-core will see that improvement increase beyond 3x, but from we'll be well into 2006 and the 65nm node before multi-core gives a significant performance boost. Only then will dual-core offer a greater gain than HT alone will do by 2008.

40-50 Ghz? Yes please...

wonder how much will liquid oxygen cost in 2008 :p

'that's my new 4-processor motherboard. I've installed four 50GHz pentiumVI procs, mainly for CGI but sometimes using 'em as a fireplace or to do some bbq'

oberGeist said:
wonder how much will liquid oxygen cost in 2008 :p

'that's my new 4-processor motherboard. I've installed four 50GHz pentiumVI procs, mainly for CGI but sometimes using 'em as a fireplace or to do some bbq'

Hehe. Anyone up for chickenwings ??

I want to see the cooling on those babies. But it sounds interesting.

Link said:
40-50 Ghz? Yes please...
I doubt speeds will increase much beyond 6GHz by then as silicon is already reaching its limits in terms of clock rates. What the article refers to is the bandwidth multicore CPU's will provide as the CPU itself will be able to do twice as many calculations per clock. Whilst this doesnt mean exactly double the CPU power as the CPU will still be bound by the motherboard architecture below it, it does indeed mean vastly improved processing power!

AMD or Intel will stop at just 2 cores on one CPU either! IBM are already implementing triple cores into thier 3.5GHz RISC CPU for the Xbox2 that clearly outshines any current CPU that AMD or Intel have!

You've gotta think though, will pcs ever get so good that they will never go obsolete? Once pcs hit the "real as life" graphic barrier, the best pcs out at the time hsould never go obsolete again. Just a thought.

Vigilante said:
You've gotta think though, will pcs ever get so good that they will never go obsolete? Once pcs hit the "real as life" graphic barrier, the best pcs out at the time hsould never go obsolete again. Just a thought.

Yes they will. Modern PC's can already render in real time the dinosaurs in Jurrasic Park although they look far better than they did on the computer due to an after effect called chroma keying. I would guess that real time rendering of scenes that look real will appear no later than 2015

I think any predictions about future processors are dependant on quantum computer technology development.

PunisherUSA said:
I think any predictions about future processors are dependant on quantum computer technology development.
Thats a LONG way off...

[Matt] said:
I doubt speeds will increase much beyond 6GHz by then as silicon is already reaching its limits in terms of clock rates. What the article refers to is the bandwidth multicore CPU's will provide as the CPU itself will be able to do twice as many calculations per clock. Whilst this doesnt mean exactly double the CPU power as the CPU will still be bound by the motherboard architecture below it, it does indeed mean vastly improved processing power!

AMD or Intel will stop at just 2 cores on one CPU either! IBM are already implementing triple cores into thier 3.5GHz RISC CPU for the Xbox2 that clearly outshines any current CPU that AMD or Intel have!
the XBox2 CPU is a cheap knock off of the Cell being co-developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. the Cell CPU will contain anywhere from 8 to 32 Core running at 4.0+GHz. The Cell workstations that will be availible soon sometime this Quarter. The Workstations themselves will reach up to 16 Tera-FLOp/s.

They SAY they will reach 16 tera-flops...but you can say a lot of things on paper, implementing them is a bitch

That would mean my viritual penis would be EVEN BIGGER!

h4vvok said:
They SAY they will reach 16 tera-flops...but you can say a lot of things on paper, implementing them is a bitch

true words - HYPE

Back