24th March 2014 + Second Anniversary Giveaway! - ValveTime Weekly News Round-Up

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
On this week's show, we're talking about the Steam Controller showing at GDC 2014, the launch of the "Free to Play" Dota 2 documentary, and the second anniversary of the ValveTime Weekly News Round-Up! Come celebrate with us by winning some games!

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and to follow us on Facebook and Twitter! Our Dota 2 Announcer Pack could also use some love over on the Steam Workshop, so be sure to head on over to give it a thumbs up! Thanks for watching and supporting the show over the past two years.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 6,262
I particularily liked "Best Locations - ValveTime Top 5: Episode 5"
because it brings a lot of good memories back. Also it serves as advertisment to show to friends :D

EDIT: should I have commented on YT?

My favorite ValveTime video is the Spotlight examining the images from the development of Arkane's cancelled Episode 4.

Personally, I feel as though the wait for Half Life 3 hasn't been too stressful for me for two reasons - the first being that I was about thirteen or fourteen when Episode 2 came out and didn't play any Half Life games until a few years into the wait, and the second being that I love speculating about unreleased games and projects - digging into a few bits of art and trying to guess at the game they could've made, trawling through old interviews and piecing together a timeline based on developer statements... It's lots of fun and incredibly fascinating to me, especially since I feel video games are a unique medium in this sort of sense, where it's possible to find hints and leaks and images from cancelled or currently-unreleased projects and examine them to your heart's content. And in that sense, this video is a lot of fun to watch - the narrator takes a handful of images leaked from a long-dead game and manages to extrapolate which models the player might have interacted with, where the game might have been set, the possible relevance of a tiny faded logo in the corner of two separate models...

Episode 4 is never coming out, but this video does a great job at using the scant information we have to paint a blurry picture of what it might have been like, and the best part is that it inspires me to continue where it leaves off and ask my own questions - what the "absorption" meter might have meant, why there are headcrab-free zombies, how content from Episode 4 might have found its way into L4D or L4D2. Anything that pushes me to speculate about an unreleased or cancelled game I might have played is something that I'll enjoy reading or watching, and this video is a great example of that!

i love the weekly news just because its so easy to get all the news all togather even though im reading the site like 2 times a day

I liked a lot of episodes mostly enjoyed the top 5 series ,but the one I remember is that when you go back to revenholm

Back