6800gt problem

J_Tweedy

Reaction score
Hey all, got a problem wif my new comp, where i get jumping textures in horizontal lines across the screen. It's worst in corridors etc with lots of stationary objects. EVERYTHING is brand new and i havent overclocked the gpu or anything.
GPU temp: 55-65C (is that hot?!)
Gigabyte 6800gt
Albatron K8X800 Pro2
1gb Kingmax ddr400
Ive tried latest drivers and stuff, but im beginning to think this card is a bunger- mite be taking it back. Any ideas what the prob is?

CPU is a little hot but i dont think that would be the problem as your PC isnt randomly restarting at all. Maybe the 6800GT isn't getting enough power from the PSU? What PSU do you own?

its a 400w psu, came stock with the case
also resolution, aa/af and vsync dont affect this problem

its actually almost impossible to get a pic- just tried, cos it only happens during movement, and taking a screenshot is always between frames. (mite not b the reason, but i can never catch it with a screenshot)
Also worth saying that Doom3 is alot worse with this problem than hl2, and hl:s is worse than hl2 also. Dunno if its just the inddors areas or what.
Whaddya's reckon?

its lack of vsync. turn it on in advanced video settings. just remember there is a framerate penalty for that algorithm

I have a BFG 6800GT OC and it idles at 55C and it gets to the high 60s or low 70s if I run the HDR demo program, rthdribl. I also have it oc'ed to 6800 Ultra speeds (400/1.1Ghz). I don't have any artifacts in games or any problems, so I don't believe the temp is the problem.

Sounds like v-sync to me also, but the card could be messed up as well. Try to exchange it if all else fails.

Yeah ive tried vsync on and off. Pretty sure temp aint the problem cos it never crashes, and its worse in some games (ie doom3) than others. I reckon its a bung one aye- so im probly taking it back. Shame, cos apart from this problem during movement it looks f**kin beautiful, especially highway 17

omg i am such a MUNG! it was vsync, sorry for the bother guys. I dont find im sacrificing much of a fps loss with it on either.

6800 gt problems also

Hi tweedy I have the same problem; new computer and halflife 2 is unplayable. I am getting white grey squares and triangles flashing all across the screen.I HAVE been able to take screenshot as it is so constant. Did you change the settings in the game only or also in the desktop properties for the video card?I have turned on "wait for vertical synch " in the game video advanced options and it is still the same.
P540-3.2
512ddr2 ram
6800GTO video
160 gig sata. ps also have problems doom 3 but no where near as bad and can play that!

same problem jsut happened to me, i switched drivers and it fixed

you gotta activate vsync in your settings out of game
i didnt have black and white squares tho, mine was just like someone took to my screen with a smudge tool! sounds like your problem is power supply, overheating, ram compatability or sumthing else, but probly not vsync

have same card, but no problem

i have a 6800gt/256mb - i have the stuttering problem when norton systemworks is running in background - have to msconfig and turn off everything and the game runs very smoothly, stutters for a moment after loading a level, but that's it. I also have vsync turned off, everything is maxed out - 12x10 resolution, 32bit color, highest detail on all settings, i have an intel cpu, though, not an AMD, so it doesn't run as hot...try turning off all services (click "hide microsoft services" first)...

anyone know what kind of fps i sould be getting in hl2 with vsync on with the specs above and
resolution 1024x7** (or something -cant remember)
aa 4x
af 8x
all settings on high
Im getting a constant 60-70,, but dropping to 30 quite a bit, seems a little low to me- any ways of helping? (got latest drivers, just defragged)

Back