9800 Pro & Fastwrites

nsxownzme

Reaction score
Okay, anything to make Half Life 2 run better and I know enabling Fast Writes will help.
When I open my display properties and click advanced and enable fast writes, it prompts me to reboot. After I reboot I check to see if it's on and it isn't.
I used to have a 7500 and it was turned on. And I know my Motherboard supports it. Any ideas? Can I use bios? Help? :/
Thanks Chris!

9800 Pro rocks :)

DL Radclocker. it helped me with my 9000pro. Btw, you have a 9800pro, I think your straight.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
fastwrites need to be enabled in your PC's BIOS.

Mine WAS enabled, but Smartgart said otherwise. RadClocker was the remedy. Ask any PC tech board. Also, I've never seen an increase in performance, it actually made my 3dmark score go down :(

Originally posted by Tr0n
What is fastwrites?

From Adrian Rojak's site www.rojakpot.com (who by the way is THE authority on bios settings):

This BIOS feature controls the chipset's AGP Fast Write capability. Fast Write is a feature which accelerates memory write transactions from the chipset to the AGP device.

Normally, any data meant for the AGP device must be written to the main memory for the AGP device to read. Fast Write allows the AGP device to bypass the main memory and directly access the data. To do so, the AGP device will act as a PCI device whenever the chipset attempts to write to it. This allows the data to be directly written to the AGP device (like other PCI devices), instead of being written to the main memory first.

As you can see, bypassing the main memory saves time and improves the AGP read performance. However, AGP writes (to the chipset) will not benefit from Fast Writes as it will follow normal AGP protocol and write to main memory.

In addition, while PCI signals are used for Fast Write transactions, the behaviour of those PCI signals has been modified and do not follow PCI specifications. Therefore, this feature may cause problems with some PCI cards.

Therefore, it is recommended that you enable AGP Fast Write for better AGP read performance but disable it if any of your PCI cards start acting funny.

Please note that for AGP Fast Write to work, both motherboard chipset and graphics card must support the Fast Write protocol and the data transfer rate must be at AGP2X or faster.

How would I go about changing it in my bios? Thanks guys..

Originally posted by nsxownzme
How would I go about changing it in my bios? Thanks guys..

change it from "disabled" to "enabled"....

even when its enabled in the bios it still doesnt seem to work most of the time. You gotta dl RadClocker yo. If you dont believe dont do it. I know your just trying other suggestions, but meh.

Back