Advice. [buying 9800 pro]

Adrien C said:
So I'll be fine then, 2.4 GHZ and 512 RAM, plus with the 9800 pro 256 MB I should hopefully run Hl2 to it's greatness.

You'll be playing the game high details 1024x768 with maybe some AF since it's pretty much "Free" on ATI cards. I doubt you'll be running with the x800 and geforce 6 series guys but even still you'll be looking good

I'm having the same delema.

To get a 9600xt or to spring for the 9800pro. I'm on a g4 mx440 right now, so upgrading is a big priority.

Always wait until AFTER your game is released before you upgrade. ALWAYS. Please. You're likely to save money, and it doesn't hurt you in any way being without the product in the mean time.

Also, if you set aside some money in the time before now and the purchase, you'll be better able to pay for the card you want, or maybe the next one up.

:cheers:

Yeah, it looks like that will be how I go, especially since I don't have enough money for either card right now...

You know, I find it stupid to buy a 400 + USD card, I can afford it, but its stupid, really, its just to much for something that will only last you 2 years.

At then end of HL2, I'll be, what a great game, and the 6800 guy will say the same, only diference is that he wasted 500 USD on a card and I only spend 200.

Lunacy Fringe said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

Can some of you please give me some advice on which 9800 pro video card on this site i should get? Thx

NO.

Quite simply the best card for your money at the moment is nVidia 6800 without a doubt. its only like £20 more than a 9800 Pro and its sooo much better. I got a 9800 Pro and im updating to a 6800. Good luck

iF.

ItchyFish said:
NO.

Quite simply the best card for your money at the moment is nVidia 6800 without a doubt. its only like £20 more than a 9800 Pro and its sooo much better. I got a 9800 Pro and im updating to a 6800. Good luck

iF.

You nuts dude, really, check your prices.

Get a 9800 pro, damn fine card and even with a crappy 1400 Athlon like I have it, will still run HL2 maxed out with AA/AF 40-50 fps.

There simply no need to waste money on anything more expensive.

Shadow-warrior said:
Get a 9800 pro, damn fine card and even with a crappy 1400 Athlon like I have it, will still run HL2 maxed out with AA/AF 40-50 fps.

There simply no need to waste money on anything more expensive.

I doubt it. 20-40fps more like.

ok, how about this one:
i got a p4 2.4 512 ddr and a 128 mb gf ti 4200. most new games run fine in low resolutions and high detail, but im thinking about getting a 9800 pro.
my question is, will my cpu be a bottleneck (games with a lot of physics tend to be slower at those times), or would it make sence to upgrade the gfx card?

i have a x800pro but a9800 pro is a great card and they are getting cheaper every day because of the new generation cards :)

abdallah said:
ok, how about this one:
i got a p4 2.4 512 ddr and a 128 mb gf ti 4200. most new games run fine in low resolutions and high detail, but im thinking about getting a 9800 pro.
my question is, will my cpu be a bottleneck (games with a lot of physics tend to be slower at those times), or would it make sence to upgrade the gfx card?

You will be fine with a 2.4ghz. Get more ram though.

yep, my gfx programs keep telling me that too

edit, so an upgrade on the gfx card as well yea?

9800 pro 128 or 9600 XT 256 with 1gig ddr and you're good to go. Your CPU isn't that old, shouldn't give you many problems.

ill see about 256 mb though, its a price step between 128 and 256.. but it would be nice to have some high res textures for a change.
edit.. just remembered, i have heard that they eat power, is that something ill have to consider upgrading as well (i know its a vague question, but i just remembered. if it helps, i only got 1 hd, 2 cd drives, dont know about power supply though...)

I was just thinking about this as I read this thread. With the presentation of the new lines of gfx cards, is there anyone on these boards that is looking to maybe get rid of their old 9800? Just an idea, as I'm looking to upgrade too, and might possibly save some money :-x.

iconic- said:
I was just thinking about this as I read this thread. With the presentation of the new lines of gfx cards, is there anyone on these boards that is looking to maybe get rid of their old 9800? Just an idea, as I'm looking to upgrade too, and might possibly save some money :-x.

I'm planning to get rid of mine soon, however I could probably get as much as €200 for it here by selling it in Buy&Sell. Nobody would pay that online.

Lanthanide said:
Yes. Doom 3 on medium (could probably do high but the differences are pretty slight) with all settings on and 1024 resolution with latest drivers gives good fps (at least 50, I don't know specific numbers but it's rarely choppy or slow downs at all) on my P4 2.8 w/ 1 gig ram setup. With 8x anistropic and 2x (temporal) AA.

Far Cry I could run on Ultra High, although I found that it did tend to lag - so I turned Shadows all the way down to really low detail and it's fine (other things could probably be sacrificed instead, but the shadows in FC aren't really that important I don't think). I think the reso I had for that was 1024 as well, with 2x AA and 8x anistropic.

UT2400 can run on all the highest settings on 1280 with no hitches whatsoever.

On my Geforce FX 5700 Ultra i ran Doom 3 on Ultra High no lag at all.

Athlon 3000+
1 gig ddr ram
geforce fx 5700 ultra
Not overclocked.

Lunacy Fringe said:
On my Geforce FX 5700 Ultra i ran Doom 3 on Ultra High no lag at all.

Athlon 3000+
1 gig ddr ram
geforce fx 5700 ultra
Not overclocked.

and probably no smoothness at all either :imu:

The 9800 pro is a darn fine videocard.I have xp2500@3200,1 gig of pc3200 ram.Stress test results are 88.53 fps @1024-768 all high 4xAA.

Lunacy Fringe said:
Yes, complete smoothness, believe it or not.

dum dee dum dum im on the internet, and smoothness is subjective. but hey if 30fps is smooth to you.

Back