Alcatraz Wrap-Up

rec

Reaction score
Half-Life 2 Information Escapes Alcatraz

A lot of ATi and Valve related information has been thrown around rampantly during the past day, almost entirely thanks to ATi's Alcatraz launch party showcasing their new line of graphics cards (being the Radeon 9800XT and Radeon 9600XT) and their subsequent ties with Valve. X-Bit Labs have posted an article with their take on the activity at the event and have been nice enough to include a heap of pictures from the launch for your viewing pleasure!

In a nutshell; we've recieved confirmation that these cards will be bundled with Half-Life 2, however not in the physical sense. You'll be recieving with your brand-spanking-new 9800XT a "voucher", or something similar, entitling you to a free* copy of Half-Life 2, which you can have sent to you via mail, or which you can download via Steam.

Many who attended the show speculate that Steam is to blame for the Half-Life 2 delay, regardless of what Valve may try to tell us. While this rumor remains fiction, all signs point to this being the case.

On the topic of the Half-Life 2 delay, GameSpy are reporting that it has in fact been delayed until mid-November. Where this date originated from is unknown, and at this point in time it would probably be safer to continue expecting "sometime before Christmas".

Last but not least, dbsynergy from our very own forum community has documented his experience at the event and was lucky enough to talk representatives from Hard OCP, Shack News, and indeed Valve's Gabe Newell. He manages to get some information regarding TeamFortress 2, Half-Life 2's delay and of course the technology behind ATi's new Radeon series. All this information and more can be found inside the "Alcatraz Diary" dbsynergy has published. Dbsynergy thoughtfully kept his handy-cam recording during the entire show and hopes to have it uploaded and availible for download sometime soon.

Kinda fun he recieved info about TF2.. i asked Gabe yesterday about TF2 and got the reply:

"We are still working on it."

And i thought TF2 dev team was mysteriously wiped out during some silent nuke explosion or something ;) hehe

Anyways great story on the alcatraz launch.. enjoy reading about it :D

It's not ready for public release.

MAN!! ive just ordered my 9800Pro and now i get "half life 2 is will probably be dealyd untill mid-november... ****!!
I think that the word "****!!" is on everyones mind (thats interested in HL2) when they read this article...

hmm... the words "major PC games never make their first release date" are the ones on my mind.

It's nice to have a November estimate (even though it was obvious months ago that Vivendi was telling retailers 'november' months ago, now all the "RETAILERS KNOW NOTHING" people can go STFU), but I would recommend strongly against making any hardware purchase decisions based on November, or ANY OTHER RELEASE DATE, until the game actually goes Gold.

i suppose i now have more time to save up and get the latest hardware and make hl2 more enjoyable

Originally posted by dscowboy
It's nice to have a November estimate (even though it was obvious months ago that Vivendi was telling retailers 'november' months ago, now all the "RETAILERS KNOW NOTHING" people can go STFU), but I would recommend strongly against making any hardware purchase decisions based on November, or ANY OTHER RELEASE DATE, until the game actually goes Gold.

If they did get the info from Vivendi, we wouldn't have millions of different dates ranging from october to february. So they don't know anything.

Originally posted by alco
If they did get the info from Vivendi, we wouldn't have millions of different dates ranging from october to february. So they don't know anything.

Well they sure as F**K knew it wasn't going to be september! That's a hell of a lot more than any of US knew!

Back