An Interview With Gabe Newell (PCFormat)

vegeta897 said:
Nice interview, thanks AI.

You guys just talking about Gabe is a disgrace.

You are making such a big deal about it, treat him like everyone else for god's sake. Don't stick up for him, you are treating him like a baby.

How inconsiderate can you be, honestly.

I would agree with you. It seems like the fans are more upset about the people insulting Gabe than Gabe himself, and it's a bit ridiculous... Just kids, I guess...

A.I. said:
Ok, Here I go... It took about two hours, from Slovene into English (but the original interview was probably in English...) Please, notify me about any inconsistencies which you find in the text.

Below are the edits I would performa. I do not know Slovene, so my corrections may not be correct, but they are either simpler sentence structures, or correcting an obvious translation error.

On E3 we were most surprised at the attention for details, like dust spreading around the feet while walking. Things like this can really add up to the atmosphere in the game. How much time did take you to add the details like this and how important are for you?
At E3 we were most surprised at the attention to detail, like dust spreading around the feet while walking. Things like this can really add to the atmosphere in the game. How much time did it take you to add the details like this and how important are they for you?

Attention for details is an important feature of everything what we were trying to achieve with Half-Life 2 whether this be the details in the environment itself or the rendering of the game. It’s about the management of the game of this scale. You can include things which automatically enable those little things like dust, lifting up when walking around, or the final product will be big, slow, buggy, unconnected and possibly never really finished. So, you can correctly include all the details or the whole project simply falls apart.
Attention to details is an important feature of everything that we were trying to achieve with Half-Life 2, whether this is the details in the environment itself or in the rendering of the game. It's about the management of a game of this scale. You can always include those little things like dust, lifting up when walking around, but the final product will be big, slow, buggy, unconnected and possibly never really finished. So, if you include all the details, the whole project simply falls apart. (No clue what the original wording was, but the above translation says almost exactly the OPPOSITE of what Gabe likely said)

For a normal level of security can any solid professional set up proper firewalls, maintain operation system and so on. Continuous informing of the whole company about the dangers of social engineering is also recommended.
For a normal level of security, any solid professional can set up proper firewalls, maintain operating systems and so on. Constant education of the whole company about the dangers of social engineering is also recommended.

Nevertheless, you have to ask yourself what you can do for your fans that there wouldn’t be any negative consequences, if someone actually steals the source code.
Nevertheless, you have to ask yourself what you can do for your fans so there wouldn't be any negative consequences, if someone actually steals the source code.

Will with all advanced features in Source modifying of HL2 still so simple as it was in HL1?
With all advanced features in Source, will modifying HL2 still be as simple as it was in HL1?

Here would also be a lot of other tools, like texture libraries, for example, world geometry, prefabs, and cubes [or bricks, maybe?] so you can only put them together. We hope that the modders with these tools will be able to focus on innovating and the gameplay, rather than focusing only on the mechanics of creating mod itself.
There will also be a lot of other tools, like texture libraries, for example, world geometry, prefabs, and other building blocks so you only need to put them together. We hope that the modders with these tools will be able to focus on innovating the gameplay, rather than focusing only on the mechanics of creating the mod itself.

^Thomas^ said:
So people are sending e-mails to Gabe just to call him fat? Why?
Game doesn`t look anything different from most people. Almost every 30-40% I see out door today is fat, and Gabe doesn`t look anything different from them. I think he`s FAAAR from dropping dead. I have seen people that are 5 times fatter in this town. Get used to it. It`s called reality.

Christ, isn`t this Half-Life 2, and not "Americas next super model"?
If you think Gabe is fat i`ll tell you:
The game will STILL be awsome! So who cares?
Well, in all honesty, Gabe is fat and I would say that he does look different to other people. However this is no reason to have a go at him. It in no way affects what kind of person he is and insults based around his physical appearance are childish in the extreme. And it's not fair to relate that to the game.

AI and Veggy - I see what you're saying, but this is essentially what I'd apply to anyone taking the piss out of any fat person. I'm not sticking up for him because I think he needs to be protected but I'm just giving my opinion on people like that. You're right, he doesn't seem to be hugely bothered which just accentuates how pathetic insults of that type are.

On-topic, that was quite an interesting little read:)

Isn't this topic.. really old? Ah well atleast it wasn't revived for no reason.

This is an old thread but I just wanted to say, the reason Gabe is "Heavy Set" is because he goes home, lays on his bed, and puts strawberry jam on all his money and eats it. Remember, he's a "Microsoft Millionaire" so you know he has a lot of money, even before HL sold millions. So hmmm, what would I rather be, skinny white trailers park trash or a heavy set millionaire? It might bother him that people call him "FAT" but at the end of the day when he looks at his bank account he forgets all about it. OR it might not bother him at all.

And whoever said "Money can't buy you happiness" was probably born rich.

i remember reading this article a while back
well the responses sound exactly the same. i didn't read the whole thread but sounds like some kinda gabe bashing going on

leave the guy alone. some of you need sensitivity training towards other human beings. stop besing so self sentric and act like a mature responsible adult..

never bite the hand that gives you entertainment... they know other people in high places..

some of you make me sick .

Citizen, this is the same thread from awhile ago.. that's why the responses sound the same :rolling:

Skullhair said:
and puts strawberry jam on all his money and eats it.
Hahhhaha! I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but that's hilarious man! Ahahhaaha

edit: why isn't the quote working, god damnit!

yes, you people can be real pigs, specially about someone who is the leader of the company that is making the sequal to one of the best games ever. You have a problem with his weight? i'm sure if we looked at you we all could pick out something we could make fun of, like how you were obviously raised without any manners at all.

Back