An Interview With Gabe Newell (PCFormat)

I what kind of people email valve and tease him about his weight...
Not mean people, they even like gabe.
Big Companies that are jelous of HL2 thats who!
Like whoever made farcry, people makin Stalker etc...
Those people are jelous and tryin to put gabe down!
Those bastards!

Dougy said:
Well i got told today that being 16 stone (im very well built) when i should be 12 is a severe health risk and im 18 years old.

You better dump some of them rocks or your gonna sink fast! I'm only 4 stones and a few pebbles :)

Gabe is a big ol' sexy boi!

I'm honestly quite disgusted that people have actually emailed Gabe about his weight... after all he's done for us, we call him fat?! Without him, VALVe would likely not exist, and we wouldn't even have HL-1...

Some people need to grow up, or (preferably) die.

Yes I hate photorealism... what the hell? Some people call that an excuse to make up for your lacking.

oD1Nz said:
I'm honestly quite disgusted that people have actually emailed Gabe about his weight... after all he's done for us, we call him fat?! Without him, VALVe would likely not exist, and we wouldn't even have HL-1...

You stop at fat?

I'm concerned about his excess fat, and I think it is alright to advise someone who is fat to loose the weight, like to encourage him and give him support. the fat could cause health problems and I mean if no one told him, it would be like everyone is ignoring the problem..
but anyways, blatently insulting him is bad though.. :\

Nice double posting BTW >_<...

Well, I'm aware people call him a lot of other things, but I was trying to stop short of turning my post into a rant.

I like the interveiw, good job A.I.

E-mailing gabe about being overwieght is idiotic, and it's funny, because people realize how they're idiots when they get a proffesional response.

Although, the part about how he thinks that HL2 has not been outpaced, how he blatanly stated "No." intruiges me. those people have something up their sleeves, and I can't wait to see what it is.

I think we should all give a BIG thx to Gabe... how many ohurs havent he given us that we have sitten by the computer and played half-life and all its fantastic mods.. I can still remember the first time i played the hl demo.. It lagged a little on my computer but i maneged to make the way through the map... aww memorys ^_^ well as I said... THANK YOU GABE & of course all of your wonderfull employees... ;)

Thanks for the translation man...was a good interview.

One thing that stuck in my mind was the end note though...That's really sad how people go out of their way to make fun of gabe and his weight..wouldn't you feel bad getting an email back from gabe...you know, he's making a game for us all to enjoy and there is a certain immature group out there who can think of nothing better to do with their time than give shit to him....yeah i'm sure these individuals are perfect in every way...i know i'm going off topic here but i got alot of shit from one individual for awhile and the day i dropped him to the ground was the day that stopped.

Some people just need a good slap of reality to learn and grow up.

I feel sorry for him...you work your ass of and then you get mails like that from your "fans"; :(

Dont worry Gabe, those people only represent a very small part of the gaming community!

I believe what we should learn from this article is that treating everyone equal, even those who insult you is the only right way to interact with people (the poor guy who sent him that e-mail got embarrased! :lol:). He is large but he's even larger in the terms of personality and that is what really counts.

Excellent work dude, i always like to hear reassurances that the modding is going to be just as easy as HL.

Nice read mate. Thanks alot! :cheers:

Oh and yeah.. there are one hell of a lot of idiots in this world....

Sometimes, I think we should all have a fixed id on the internet, it's the anonymity of the internet that drives people to these retarded things.
How many geeks do you know that would walk up to a big guy like Gabe and insult him? None, cause they're afraid to do so in real life.

It's sad really.

Thanks for translating! :thumbs:

PvtRyan said:
Sometimes, I think we should all have a fixed id on the internet, it's the anonymity of the internet that drives people to these retarded things.
Your right, but the anonumity of the net is a good thing, its freedom. freedom to be stupid, but freedom From such descrimination. IF you knew i was 3ft tall, you might call me a midget but nobody knows online, and it feels great.
p.s. im not actually 3ft tall :)

If you read this Gabe you see that all of the lines is written by the real people of the gaming community. But as allways theres "badguys" that keep messing it upp. If you have read this I think you should write something back to the community here. I think all of us would be happy to hear from you ;) Keep upp the good work Gabe :D

the people emailing gabe and going on about his weight are just assholes, 13 year old kids with nothing better to do except get high on sugar and play cs calling everyone "|\|3wB$"... just ignore it Gabe! :thumbs:

oD1Nz said:

I would opt for the second option, I whole-heartedly agree with you Od1nz

CB | Para said:
I would opt for the second option, I whole-heartedly agree with you Od1nz
Yeah, there really isn't any need for that garbage. However, unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people in certain gaming communities that have no problem saying whatever king af garbage to anyone. Including lying, etc.

About the interview. It was ok I guess, I would have preferred more details and specific questions. He probably wouldn't have answered them anyways. You know what I mean. :E

if gabe used time in the gym, he would spend less time programming and all that gamemaking he does, wich would mean he would have less time making the game, so dont go down in weight , get even fatter if it produces faster, u shoose.

but i am of the general feeling that overweight is a unnessesary healthrisk, and it should be avoided if possible. then u live longer, i think?

I even got e-mails like: “Lose weight or you’ll drop dead, bastard.” I tried to answer them the same way as Doug responded to those who asked him for autographs. In most cases I then received an apology like: “Sorry, I didn’t believe that you would even read my message…”
As I said before, it’s all a part of business.

-------------------------------------------------------

Poor gabe his such a nice man , i can't belive there are still children who makes those stupid posts to him ...

-Gabe i wish you the best of everything !

yea nice one thanks for the hard work dude

those fat email gabe got are harsh :( cant belive how some people can be so nasty

Well since i was woried about Gabe's health i send him a mail. Please note it wasn't ment in a hatefull/bashing way.
Quote:
I appreciate the sentiment.

Gabe

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 3:30 AM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: you

Dear Gabe,

This mail is not about hl2 or the sdk but about you. Being a fan of half-life and thus Valve and it's staff I've read lots of interviews. In these series of interviews something has caught my attention: you seem to have taken on some weight...... Now i fully understand this is probably very rude, way out of line and I am not mister skinny either but you recent media appearences triggered a HEV-suit like voice in my head saying 'Heart failure imminent, seek medical attention'.

Do yourself, your family and your fans a favor and get this sorted. All the fainboys are going to kill me for saying this but if delaying hl2 is what it takes by all means do so. I'd rather see a hl2 in 2005 and you healthy and making more great games then a hl2 today and no more Gabe in the future.

I hope you take this mail as a somewhat rude but well ment advice.

grtz. Marijn

:|

While I do think that Gabe's weight is a concern, I'm not gonna hold that against him. Not only is it completely irrelevant to game development, but it's just plain rude, especially when they've given us a great game and are busting ass trying to give us an even greater sequel.

I just don't see the point of calling someone fat. It's like saying "you got brown hair bastard!".
I think Gabe's one of the greatest guys in the gaming development business, no matter what he looks like, I think he looks very cool and charismatic, especially when he smiles.
It's just kids and people with their heads too far up their asses that are disgusted by overweight people and feel the urge on telling them about it.
Appearance is a personal thing in my opinion.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure Gabe'll lose weight now when the rampant HL2 development finishes. I don't really care, and I don't see why anyone should care. He's a great guy and should be looked upon as a great guy.

The whole HL community being as big as it is.. has how many mature people? I wouldn't doubt Gabe getting e-mails like that.

Yeah, the guy is aware he's fat, no need to tell him about it... What the hell is with people being asses these days... :/

Its an alright interview. There all getting kinda the same now though.

well, I am completely disgusted with any member of this commuity that would rubbish any member if Valves team... WTF is wrong with people, if someone has a weight problem I'm sure they are aware of it, to send them an e-mail & flame them is unbeliveable.

leave the valve chaps alone to get on with making great games & go stick ur head in a blender....

muppets!

Who cares if he's a fatty, i just what great games, and he does that for us. :thumbs:

Please discuss this issue further.....please? Do it for me? That's what I come to these boards for....to read about whether people care if someones fat or not....so please....continue....thnx

Gabe Newell interviews make me sick. :bonce:

Good job translating.

kthxbai

Nice interview, thanks AI.

You guys just talking about Gabe is a disgrace.

You are making such a big deal about it, treat him like everyone else for god's sake. Don't stick up for him, you are treating him like a baby.

How inconsiderate can you be, honestly.

I have goto say Gabe is one rated man in my book, he is slick with his words man, makes sense, and you know vaLVE has got great vision when it comes to games,

can''t wait to play HL2, it will rock :thumbs:

^Thomas^ said:
So people are sending e-mails to Gabe just to call him fat? Why?

Christ, isn`t this Half-Life 2, and not "Americas next super model"?

They do that because they are stupid.

wait its not?!?!?! You mean to tell me I was voting for alyx to win for nothing!?!?

Back