ANOTHER new guitar..

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
I know, I know, but I didn't buy this, I traded that blue Epiphone Les Paul for it, I've wanted a guitar with a tremolo for a long time now, finally got one.

Only thing I hate about it is restringing it. I'd rather hang myself with the strings then restring this thing again... ugh. Took hours to get right. (I've never done it with a floyd rose before).

I'm glad I know how now, but still..

It's got Evo 3 Steve Vai signature pickups in it that sound pretty sweet, the middle single coil is just stock though.

This is my first ever "shred" guitar, I put Dean Markley 8-38 gauge on it, super lights, I normally play with Ernie Ball regulars, so it's a bit different, and the neck is thinner then any of my other guitars, but I like it.

It's an Ibanez RG470

sdc11515v.jpg

sdc11520m.jpg

sdc11522c.jpg

Oh God that's beautiful.

How are Ibanez on their electrics? I've always been a Fender man when it comes to them, but I really, really love my Ibanez Acoustic and Ibanez Bass, and was thinking about "completing the set" as it were.

Well I can't tell you 100% because this was made in 1997 and was never cleaned, the kid I traded never played it (why he would want another guitar when he never plays is beyond me), so it's never been cleaned, and as such it gives a slight amount of feedback (strangely enough I get no feedback in the 2 and 4 positions), but next time I restring it and clean it really good (I just gave it a wipe down this time, as I really wanted to play it lol), it shouldn't give me any guff.

My main guitar, an Ibanez ART300 gets zero feedback, and even then it has active pickups, so from what I've seen in Ibanez's guitar I'm happy with the electronics.

I just realized that giving away my Epiphone made me an Ibanez guy lol.. Except my bass that's Schecter..

I should also say that this thing has a Licensed Floyd Rose (Ibanez LO-TRS Trem II), which I've been told were shit, and the only good FR's were originals, I gotta say, I haven't had to tune it once and I've been divebombing all day lol, it's really good.

Hmmm

Can't say I'm impressed, but grats anyways.

You aren't impressed with anything I do!

You weren't impressed with my other Ibanez either, that thing is mint! What kind of guitar does impress you?

You aren't impressed with anything I do!

You weren't impressed with my other Ibanez either, that thing is mint! What kind of guitar does impress you?

Sorry Dog, but ibanez/schecter are just too shred-y for me. More of a fan of a beefy clean tone over something that needs drive behind it.

I like to stick with the classics, Gretsch/Fender/Gibson/PRS. Actually looking into buying a Rickenbacker atm.

I used to be right there with you, but I ended up just playing the thing that felt most comfortable.. I was looking into getting a PRS but they are just overpriced pieces of garbage, don't bother. They look really nice that's about it.

On this I still play mostly prog though, then again I can't shred for shit.

I was playing that exact same guitar at guitar center the other day. Great sound, man. I'm jealous.

looks awesome!

I've had nothing but good experience with ibanez guitars myself. Floating tremolo systems do take awhile to set up properly (took me quite awhile my first time too) but you of course get better and faster at it the more you do it.

I actually haven't changed all the strings on my new one yet but I probably will soon.

With my new one I actually have been in the habit of wiping down the strings (and sometimes the body) with a cloth after I'm done playing for awhile. I was too lazy with my other guitars but I can say that just doing this simple step lengthens the life of your strings tremendously.

I'd like to hear how those pickups sound as well :)

haha, that's kind of a twangy tone but still good. Now you just have to learn to play as well as paul gilbert :p

Ok give me like 20 years and maybe I can play half speed.

The only thing about this guitar I don't like is that I get zero sustain from it, pisses me off. The sound dies like 2-3 seconds in..

if you play louder and closer to your amp you'll have more sustain because the sound will induce your strings to vibrate and therefore make a feedback loop.

btw, I feel superior to him in the fact that I have alternate picking pretty good 2 years into playing whereas he didn't learn that till he had been playing 7.

edit 2: he talks/explains things quite well.

Well he was taught by Micheal Angelo Batio, and he taught Buckethead.. He is probably the best famous guitar player teacher there is.. I have most of his DVD's and they are all ace.

john petrucci's guitar dvd was pretty good, but he's even more insane than paul gilbert.

As much as I love Paul Gilbert, he has tons of technique but no creativity.

I think the master of technique:creativity would be Mr. Steve Vai, no better guitarist then that man (and no it's not because my guitar has Steve Vai pickups, that was purely a coincidence, I swear)

Always been an Ibanez fan. Epic guitar too.

Never really an ibanez guy, or a shred guitar guy for that matter.

Might have something to do with never really liking many "shred" songs.

So I stick with my ES335 and my Jaguar.

Back