Another Steam problem (long loading)

Thadius Dean

Reaction score
ok, i get to this part where it says...

Your Half-Life installation will now be copied into Steam.
This may take several minutes.

Pre-loading Half-Life files from disk...

then in the darker window inside it it says...

Converting Base Goldsrc Shared Binaries files into steam
cache...complete
Converting Half-Life files into steam cache...

then it says there for ever. ive been waiting for about an hour now, and its still not doing a thing. have any of you had to wait this long to get steam up and running? should i go mow the lawn and wait?

im very very sorry for posting this topic, i just didnt want to hijack someone elses thread. (which i almost did!)

so uh... think someone can help?

Not sure what the best option is here. But to let you know, this is the ONLY change you get to convert HL files, instead of DL'ing them (apart from creating multiple user accounts), so it's up to you - i personally think it's crashed.

Are either folder sizes changing??

i dont think they are, which folders are you talking about... the steam ones?

im thinking of just quiting the download, and trying to download it again from another DL location.

Either the HL folder, or the Steam one.

If you stop it in the middle now, you'll have to download HL + mods from steam servers (or hope valve release a fix or something). Up to you.

well i tried closing it, but it wouldnt close so i guess it froze. i uninstalled steam, and now im trying to download it again. i just hope it works this time.

Originally posted by Thadius Dean
well i tried closing it, but it wouldnt close so i guess it froze. i uninstalled steam, and now im trying to download it again. i just hope it works this time.

Good luck, but the same happened to me....

yep i've been "Pre-loading Half-Life files from disk" for quite some time now.

well at least i know im not the only one.

well now i cant even get to that part, for steam is quite confused on my computer right now.

i get the same problem, and about every other problem you can think of...steam can lick my sweaty swamp nuts

I get the same problem, it also makes an error in the log:
Error:Steam error: SteamUnmountFilesystem(1424,0x0,0x1fafd0c) failed with error 9: The mount path does not exist

Function trace:
CFileSystem_Steam::Mount()

****. I have this problem too. Shame on valve... they call this non-beta and it's already having problems? wtf :rolleyes:

I kinda found a way to get it to work. You need to reinstall and patch Half-Life. Then make a new account and start the conversion. It will get Half-Life but freeze on the next part. Then you have to end steams process, reopen it, and go to download another game (you must have the game installed so it will just convert it), after that steam will freeze so end task it and repeat for other games.

lol! I can imagine this procedure in the Steam FAQ! Steam is now frozen, so you need to close the task and run it again! lol

i have the same problem btw, the Goldsrc thing takes forever but i will not close it until I see: "Done" so, see you in a week... or next month ;-)

"this may take a few minutes"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

theres ur answer.

Originally posted by Ti133700N
lol! I can imagine this procedure in the Steam FAQ! Steam is now frozen, so you need to close the task and run it again! lol
rofl

Back