ATI Radeon 9800 ULTIMATE??

Apos

Tank
Reaction score
It's 573 dollars, but about the only difference I can find from the 256MB version is that it has fanless cooling, making it great for overclocking.

It comes with SoF2, Wolfenstein and other software, that's why it's a little more expensive.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
It comes with SoF2, Wolfenstein and other software, that's why it's a little more expensive.

most retail videocards come with software, msi was bundling like 10 cds with their geforce 4 cards, got like morrowind, sacrifice, no one lives forever, aquanox, plus winproducer/coder professional, msi dvd, and the other msi cd with drivers and a bunch of msi utilities.

but yeah, high price cause its got the big ass heatpipe technology cooler :)

If you don't feel like spending $573 for that card then you don't have to. Just buy a 9800 Pro 256 and buy the heatsink seperate, it's about $30. It's the same heatsink except for the color and logo.

It works for all GeForce 4 cards and Radeon 9x00 cards.

Zalman ZM80A-HP

Why do people want to buy the 256mb version? it's 150 dollars higher and you don't have that much advantage with HL2 and doom3 for example. tomshardware.com and Gabe newell already said that. It's the same with AGP 4x/8x. Alot of the new high-end cards are agp 8x compatible but even doom3 don't make that advantage with the more bandwith due the 8x port. It's the same with HDD's and dual pcu's. Gabe already said that HL2 don't take advantage with dual cpu's. If you want to buy a 1000rmp hdd, maybe you could get 1 or 2 fps higher on some points. It's all said in the benchmarks like at tomshardware.com. If you don't believe me. read the reviews and educate yourself.

Sharp, I could'nt have said it better myself,people have to read the reviews that come out before they buy. It takes me a couple of weeks of reading before I make up my mind.I finely bought the ATI 9800 PRO,GREAT REVIEWS!!!!!

Yeah, there are a lot of big toys out there that really have nothing to play with as of yet: and by the time they do, they'll be much cheaper anyway. I'm not interested in things like this outside of the possibility that they'll bring down the price of the lesser stuff I do plan on buying. That's why I hope the 360 core comes out soon.

Originally posted by sharp
If you want to buy a 1000rmp hdd, maybe you could get 1 or 2 fps higher on some points. It's all said in the benchmarks like at tomshardware.com. If you don't believe me. read the reviews and educate yourself.

hdd dont inprove fps they inprove the load times of levels. but they do make a big difference if you have under 512 ram as you will pause in levels to load the page file that windows uses to make the extra 256mb or how much it needs. no one needs more than 512 (768 at the most) unless you use some mem intensive programs

If you bought a 1000rpm HDD I would laugh in your face considering most HDD that ship have a 7200rpm speed. Unless of course you meant that 10,000rpm HD. Which sucks IMO because you pay as much as you would for a 120GB and you only get 36GB. SATA will be my savior. Once it hits revision 2.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
most retail videocards come with software, msi was bundling like 10 cds with their geforce 4 cards, got like morrowind, sacrifice, no one lives forever, aquanox, plus winproducer/coder professional, msi dvd, and the other msi cd with drivers and a bunch of msi utilities.

but yeah, high price cause its got the big ass heatpipe technology cooler :)

By standard the Radeon 9800 256mb's don't come with any games/additional software, this one does, so that's why it's a higher price.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
By standard the Radeon 9800 256mb's don't come with any games/additional software, this one does, so that's why it's a higher price.

dude im tellin you games and software are almost always bundled with video cards, the cost is because of the heatpipe cooling.

The fanless heatsink doesnt provide better OCing. Actually its much worse. I've heard horror stories with the Zalman heatsink....

Back