ATi Staff: Leak Suspect?

rec

Reaction score
The unintelligent and uninformed web-wide have speculated that the leak was potentially master-minded by ATi's Guennada Riguer, one of their software engineers from Canada, after noticing his name appear numerous times in the Half-Life 2 source code.

ATi promote that the coders name scattered through-out the source is no mystery, the The Inquirier reports. They state that these findings bare no significance to the leak, only to the code written specifically during the development process.

I love people that make conspiracy theories out of everything possible. This is almost as funny as the guy who said that 9/11 didn't really happen.

Wasn't ATI also blamed for the Doom 3 alpha leak?

Yes, but I actually think there was some backing behind that. As far as I know, ATi did actually leak the Doom 3 alpha. Don't quote me on that, though.

They've leaked quite a lot of stuff in their time. Not just the Doom3 Alpha.

Great...the "Osama Bin Ladens" of PC games...:dozey:

After the Doom3 leak, alota people got chewed out at ATi, I seriously doubt history would repeat itself in this case...

I too doubt it was ATI this time

It was never proven that ATi leaked Doom 3, however, there was a good amount of evidance that they did. In this case there is no proof and people are just talking out of their asses.

isn;t also true that they once supported cheats, by making a driver that corrupted the game's code and allowed the customer to have a wallhack. I say that ati is not responsible, because y would they risk everything they have with vavle, and all over the woprld, to do something so stupid. but the facts, and rumors, etc... are poiniting in ATI's direction. Best Luck to all

Oh please, ATI has too much on the line to waste it on leaking the source engine.

Originally posted by foenatic
isn;t also true that they once supported cheats, by making a driver that corrupted the game's code and allowed the customer to have a wallhack. I say that ati is not responsible, because y would they risk everything they have with vavle, and all over the woprld, to do something so stupid. but the facts, and rumors, etc... are poiniting in ATI's direction. Best Luck to all
No it's not true, this can be done with any card by messing around with opengl.

Maybe a dumb question, but why would ATI have the source? Do they also code? Or they just tell Vavle to make that and that better? I mean, they dont _need_ the code right? They just get compiled runable program and test on?

They might have access to parts of the code for optimzing shaders

um, to further what was said above, why does ati's programmer name appear in the code? Why is ati coding the game? "to optimize it for ATI" - well duh - but doesn't that seem a little f'd up? I mean does everybody own an ati card? I know i don't.

Originally posted by Big_B
um, to further what was said above, why does ati's programmer name appear in the code? Why is ati coding the game? "to optimize it for ATI" - well duh - but doesn't that seem a little f'd up? I mean does everybody own an ati card? I know i don't.

Its a giant conspiracy against you.

Anyway, even if ATi had some of the code to play around with, I seriously doubt Terry would let someone in the software department have "casual" access to it...

This wasn't a 3rd party leak. It was hacked right out of Valve's own computers.

Why the hell would the culprit, in this case Guennada Riguer, put his name all over the file--if he really DID it?

That's just like stealing a farmer's pig, and leaving behind your god damn drivers license all wrap in pink ribbon.

Originally posted by Big_B
I ask myself that every time I see an nVidia logo on a game box. Oh well, I've got an ATi card, so I've got nothing to worry about.

Well, my opnion in this whole thing is this:

-Why would someone from ATI, the company who is going to make loads of money from their advertising of the game and Bundling the game with their card, steal the Source code.

-I feel that the Source code was stolen by someone who just wanted to show off and say that they beat Valve, and to also show the internet community how easy it can sometimes be.

-I also feel that the person who did this was someone who was upset that HL2 would not make it's September 30th release as promised by Gabe himself. Stealing the Source codewas, in his/her mind, THE right thing to do, to give the HL2 community what they wanted, HL2.

hmm i wish they would hurry up and release the near final beta.
i mean, it had 11 days until release, that's a pretty complete beta if you ask me.

Originally posted by No Limit
No it's not true, this can be done with any card by messing around with opengl.

I can see thru walls whenever someone signs in MSN Messenger when the alert pops up. But in the new versions it doesn't happen as much...

I truly wonder if the hackers actually got what they wanted when they hacked Valve. From the gist of what I've read the source Code is what defines the game (with regard to the operators of the engine etc) but isn't actually the game, so ok red letter day for anyone who codes games, but for the vast majority of people pretty much useless garbage.

If the reports are to be believed and they have spent over a month or so infilitrating Valves systems, that seems a heavy time investment simply to obtain the source alone. I'd of thought they would of tried to get the actual game client, which would of been potentially profitable.

Originally posted by Kadayi Polokov
I truly wonder if the hackers actually got what they wanted when they hacked Valve. From the gist of what I've read the source Code is what defines the game (with regard to the operators of the engine etc) but isn't actually the game, so ok red letter day for anyone who codes games, but for the vast majority of people pretty much useless garbage.

The thing is, the engine to half-life is very powerful, thats why the game is so popular. You may not know it, but that is why the game is clean and effecient and is capable of so much. Now this code is leaked, so now Valve isn't the only ones who could make games as powerful as this. now people can just use the same ideas that they did and Valve won't get anything for it. so basically, this could be the beggining of the end of half-life (extremely put).

actually the one who gains the most from stealing the source code is nvidia, they have garbage hardware that works like crap with PS 2.0 and subsequently performs like crap in HL2.
with the stolen source code they now have a full unrestricted access to the game's graphics subsystem and as a result the ability to rewrite all of the game's shaders to lowest quality possible, I wont be surprised if detonators 53 will be +100MB in size.

Originally posted by rec
Yes, but I actually think there was some backing behind that. As far as I know, ATi did actually leak the Doom 3 alpha. Don't quote me on that, though.
I will thought because you are right, the alpha was put on a public FTP by mistake and before they could remove it, it was all over the net :(

this is from the beginning, a unbelieveble joke....
people who says that ATIs own coders would've hacked the Valve network and steal the code and risk the entire ATI company, are to me either very,very paranoid or they had a very bad childhood...

Originally posted by The Grim Reaper
actually the one who gains the most from stealing the source code is nvidia, they have garbage hardware that works like crap with PS 2.0 and subsequently performs like crap in HL2.
with the stolen source code they now have a full unrestricted access to the game's graphics subsystem and as a result the ability to rewrite all of the game's shaders to lowest quality possible, I wont be surprised if detonators 53 will be +100MB in size.
Well...nVidia (or ATi) doesn't actually need the source code to rewrite low-quality shader in their drivers. They see the shaders in their driver regardless of whether they have the source. In fact, there's probably no need for nVidia to steal the code since Valve has probably given it to them so that they can assist them in developing for the GeForceFX.

That's not to say nVidia has nothing to gain from this leak. Any delay to HL2 gives them more time to come out with more competitive hardware or write opitimization that suits the game better (obviously the code leak has the effect of delaying the games release).

Whether it was Nvidia, ATI, or some truckdriver from Bolivia, that stole the source code, there's one thing that we can all be sure of: ATI sucks.
Sure, they may have the fastest cards on the market, but with Nvidia you get more for your money, and Nvidia cards are compatible with more games. ATI has the worst customer service ever, they don't really care about their customers, they only care about the money they can get from their customers. When I made the mistake of buying a Radeon, first it took forever to get it working because the thing wasn't compatible with any of my three computers. Then when I finally did get it working (after having to buy a new motherboard just for the graphics card) I found that the thing didn't even work. It had major hardware problems. So I sent it back to ATI, and weeks later I got a replacement. However, the replacement had a capacitor hanging off the back of the card. So I sent it back in and a few weeks later I got a working card. During that time I had bought a GeForce 4, which cost less and worked better than the Radeon, so I sold it on ebay to some idiot who actually likes ATI. So if you want crappy service and crappy cards that won't run jack squat, then ATI is for you. Valve doesn't praise ATI because they have good cards or good service, Valve praises ATI because ATI threw the most money at them. When Valve puts money before gamers, maybe they deserve to be hacked.

Originally posted by CSJAWS
Whether it was Nvidia, ATI, or some truckdriver from Bolivia, that stole the source code, there's one thing that we can all be sure of: ATI sucks.
That's why the best cards in every market segment belong to ATI. That's why the cards with the best image quality belong to ATI. That's why the most stable drivers belong to ATI. Guess we're doing everything wrong.
Sure, they may have the fastest cards on the market, but with Nvidia you get more for your money, and Nvidia cards are compatible with more games.
I could write volumes about this statement. ATI gives better image quality. ATI gives you the experience the developer intended.
ATI has the worst customer service ever, they don't really care about their customers, they only care about the money they can get from their customers. When I made the mistake of buying a Radeon, first it took forever to get it working because the thing wasn't compatible with any of my three computers. Then when I finally did get it working (after having to buy a new motherboard just for the graphics card) I found that the thing didn't even work. It had major hardware problems. So I sent it back to ATI, and weeks later I got a replacement. However, the replacement had a capacitor hanging off the back of the card. So I sent it back in and a few weeks later I got a working card. During that time I had bought a GeForce 4, which cost less and worked better than the Radeon, so I sold it on ebay to some idiot who actually likes ATI.
You're comparing a Radeon to a GeForce 4? The Radeon was released in the GeForce 3 timeframe. I still have my All-In-Wonder Radeon and it's been a good card. Also, I doubt the GeForce 4 cost less than the Radeon unless you are talking about the 4200. If you are talking about the Radeon 8500, that's a different story as it was released after the GeForce 3. I enjoyed using my 8500 until I replaced it with a AIW 9800 Pro. I didn't have lots of driver issues and whatnot and I play games all the time.
So if you want crappy service and crappy cards that won't run jack squat, then ATI is for you. Valve doesn't praise ATI because they have good cards or good service, Valve praises ATI because ATI threw the most money at them. When Valve puts money before gamers, maybe they deserve to be hacked.
That's one (weird) way of interpreting the data.

Every benchmark I've seen pitting the 9800 vs. nVidia 5900 has the ATI 9800 coming out ahead. My ATI cards have never given me problems, and I've come to rely on their quality and speed as a standard which nVidia has not yet surpassed.

Oops 6 Million as well for HL2

Recently it has been reported that ATI splashed out $6 Million for Half Life 2 to be shipped with their Radeon 9800 XT range of cards I wonder if the deal has now been blown for ATI as this a major blow to ATI and Valve as this has ruined their relationship which would have been a great business deal which might not go ahead now because I have knottiest all the ATI cards for the XT range on their USA site was showing a price of $400.00 USD and now showing Price as Unavailable when just a while ago it was showing a price...

Really odd indeed might be nothing but, still odd...

Re: Oops 6 Million as well for HL2

Originally posted by Gordon
I wonder if the deal has now been blown for ATI as this a major blow to ATI and Valve as this has ruined their relationship which would have been a great business deal which might not go ahead now because I have knottiest all the ATI cards for the XT range on their USA site was showing a price of $400.00 USD and now showing Price as Unavailable when just a while ago it was showing a price...

Really odd indeed might be nothing but, still odd...
Sounds like nothing to me. ATI had nothing to do with the leak, as Valve themselves has stated. Please stop making up rumors.

Back