AtomicSpark's "I noticed something and have an opinion" dump.

Reaction score
Kris, my man crush, instructed that I not bitch at him but instead utilize this section on the forums. So here's some things I have noticed so far:
  • index.php is in the URL of every page. You can probably use .htaccess to rewrite URLs properly (if your framework supports it).
  • HTML links in the quick reply box could use their own CSS color. Currently it's just light gray on a white background.
  • Spoiler tags in some signatures don't expand properly. Like they're at a fixed height. Not sure if this is on purpose.
  • On this one post that I am too lazy to look up, the width of all the text was squished smaller. Like how the old forum used to **** up randomly.
More to come later...?

The signatures are of a fixed height and it's intentional, a lot of people who used to use spoiler tags to get really long sigs just haven't noticed yet. You can change the page to be the full width of your screen instead of fixed with in your preferences page.

Kris, my man crush, instructed that I not bitch at him but instead utilize this section on the forums. So here's some things I have noticed so far:
  • index.php is in the URL of every page. You can probably use .htaccess to rewrite URLs properly (if your framework supports it).
Yeah we know.
  • HTML links in the quick reply box could use their own CSS color. Currently it's just light gray on a white background.
Yeah we know.
  • Spoiler tags in some signatures don't expand properly. Like they're at a fixed height. Not sure if this is on purpose.
What ríomhaire said.
  • On this one post that I am too lazy to look up, the width of all the text was squished smaller. Like how the old forum used to **** up randomly.
More to come later...?
We can't really do much without being told what post it is. If you find it, let us know.

Holy shit I can finally utilize my 1080p screen properly. You guys really need to make that setting easier to find.

Or we can tweak the fixed width layout to look something like this:

LwPy2.png

Seriously guys? You're going to berate me for telling you that it's not obvious I have to look in my preferences when any other forum I go on is either already fluid width or has the option at the bottom? Hell, I knew you guys were working on that and I still had no idea it was there. It's not obvious, and I'm making a suggestion for ease-of-use. There's no need to be such ****s about it. You need to learn how to take criticism better, every single one I see is basically responded to with "NO **** YOU." At the very least be civil.

Seriously guys? You're going to berate me for telling you that it's not obvious I have to look in my preferences when any other forum I go on is either already fluid width or has the option at the bottom? Hell, I knew you guys were working on that and I still had no idea it was there. It's not obvious, and I'm making a suggestion for ease-of-use. There's no need to be such ****s about it. You need to learn how to take criticism better, every single one I see is basically responded to with "NO **** YOU." At the very least be civil.

Hang on just a second there, Whiny Wendy.

Not only have I implemented every change that has been suggested that has been within my power to grant (just ask Vegeta), but having it in preferences is the exact same place it was on Halflife2.net. It's not in the footer because it's not a separate theme. Having it where it is makes the most sense, because it is literally a user preference.

Any dickish comments you've seen have likely either been a) Not serious, or b) a knee-jerk reaction to someone who didn't bother to read before posting, such as yourself. I refuse to take responsibility for you either a) Not going through the options on your own, or b) Not keeping up to date on threads that discuss things that you supposedly care about.

What Yorick said. If you took my post seriously, you need to lighten up.

My image was actually more poking fun at how much space is wasted by the fixed width, and calling the user an idiot for even using fixed width. Not even directed at you because you were looking for full width so it doesn't even make sense.

The 'hey idiot' in the image is posted in reply to the only guy who was talking about it, so regardless of the technicalities you can understand why he feels like it was aimed at him. I certainly thought it was too.

Also the user isn't an idiot for using fixed width, it's the default developer choice for best viewing overall, even if it suits the forum equally on fixed or fluid, front page looks far better fixed. People are welcome to choose either, without being labelled an idiot!

Some people are welcome to choose either, and are idiots regardless. :p

Also the user isn't an idiot for using fixed width, it's the default developer choice for best viewing overall, even if it suits the forum equally on fixed or fluid, front page looks far better fixed. People are welcome to choose either, without being labelled an idiot!
Glenn.

It was a joke.

You idiot!

My "Site Width" field isn't set. Strange. Is the blank option supposed to be forum default?

Fixed width is also better for reading. A paragraph of text should be around 80 characters wide.

I wouldn't use full width if I had my browser in fullscreen. But I don't browse fullscreen, since most websites are terrible on it, and I like to have other stuff on my screen while I have my browser open (which is 24/7)

Having your browser taking up half of your screen (yay Windows 7) makes the layout look perfect. A little too perfect. Almost like that is what someone was shooting for...

By the layout do you mean fixed width? Having the browser take up half the screen makes full width perfect.

Do you happen to do your web browsing on a movie theater screen, Pi?

What if the watch in the website logo displayed the actual local time? Discuss.

Either that or can we change it tp 11:55pm to make me feel special? <3

What if the watch in the website logo displayed the actual local time? Discuss.

Either that or can we change it tp 11:55pm to make me feel special? <3

Also, when trying to post this, I received a pop-up stating:
The following error occurred:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at www.valvetime.net Port 80

Why would we change it to 11:55pm?

The logo will be changing at some point in the near future.

Thanks for letting us know about he server error.

URLs have been rewritten to exclude index.php now too.

Turns out the change may cause issues in some browsers due to caching. If that happens, the advice is to clear your cache.

Back