Autoexec Doesn't work

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here.

I've tried everything to get autoexec.cfg working in Half-Life 2, episode 1, and episode 2. It just doesn't work. I'm creating the file under C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\{username}\half-life 2\hl2\cfg so I know it's in the correct directory. I also can't edit the config.cfg file because the source engine rewrites it every time the game loads. Alternatively, I tried making the config.cfg file read-only after making the changes to no avail. I've also tried putting -exec autoexec.cfg in the Steam Launch options, as well as +exec autoexec.cfg. Neither works. I can enable it in game, but certain commands don't enable during gameplay and are apparently required to be started before the game begins.

I've looked everywhere and nobody else seems to be having the same problem. Most I found could be remedied one way or another but I've tried everything and have yet to yield any results.

I'm running Windows XP Professional 32-bit if that makes a difference. It probably doesn't though because I previously tried the same thing with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with no success.

I'd be extremely appreciative if anybody could help me out with this. Thanks in advance!

When the game first loads on the main menu open console and type "disconnect" then enter "exec autoexec.cfg"

Disconnect first, because while on the main menu the background is actually a map so the game says that you are already playing/on a server.

Another problem is that the autoexec.cfg might still be a text file like "autoexec.cfg.txt." but you just don't know it unless you have it set in folder options that it shows file name extensions.

If you think that's the case copy the config.cfg rename that to autoexec.cfg and copy the contents from your older autoexec.cfg in to the new one.

This works. I appreciate the help, Aylus.

Alternatively, for those having a similar problem, you can add -dev to the launch options. That way, you don't have to type disconnect each time you start the game. You'll still have to type exec autoexec though.

No. I'm 100% sure it's .cfg.

Out of curiosity, isn't autoexec supposed to execute automatically? Hence the name? It's not a real hassle or anything but shouldn't that be how it works? It didn't do this before, awhile ago. Did a recent update make autoexec obsolete?

Back