Bad performance on fast rig

Yatta

Tank
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with Source (namely Counter-Strike source) where I get the exact same performance on the stress test and ingame (average of 45 FPS) regardless of whether my resolution is different or my settings are on high/low. FPS_MAX is set to 300 in console, and upping it didn't help. I've also tried reinstalling CSS, and Steam as a whole. Updated drivers too on nVidia 7800 GT 256 MB. Help please? Thanks.

AMD 4200+ X2 w/ Latest drivers + dual core optimizer
2 GB Ram
7800 GT 256 MB latest drivers
XP Pro Latest patches

I guess I need to know where Steam stores settings for games so I can delete those settings. I know it's not in the Steam folder itself, so it's got to be in the registry or some other folder.

I say this because I have two installations of Steam on two different hard drives, but if I change the settings for CSS on one of them, then it affects the other one as well.

Steam\SteamApps\[accountname]\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

Delete the config.cfg there.

Found the problem. Summer heat is putting 50% thermal throttling to use. Turned it off in BIOS, increased fan speed, everything fine. :)

sorry im new i would really like to increase fan speed how is this done or can i do it?
and is summer heat a program u use or something?

No I meant literally the summer heat. Thermal throttling is a feature in the BIOS that adjusts the processor power accordingly with the environmental heat as to prevent overheat.

Get the program Speedfan.

kwl lol i thought it was a program lol and we in ireland dont have v hot weather lol

emm how do u speed your fan up? on speedfan and can u use it to overclock your motherboard?

my appoligies on the double post

Back