Best Moments From Half-Life 2 - ValveTime Top 5: Episode 13

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
As part of our continued celebration of Half-Life 2's 10th Anniversary in November 2014, we're taking a close look at our Top 5 Best Moments from the game and explaining why we enjoy them so much. With so many amazing environments, set pieces, and events spread all throughout Half-Life 2, this really wasn't an easy topic for us to whittle down to just five choices, so take a look and let us know what you think!

Got a personal Top 5 version of this list that differs from ours? Let us know in the comments below! Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel, to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and to check out previous episodes of ValveTime Top 5! Thanks for watching!

No Ravenholm ? ...........

a7d.gif

Eh, it's still a great list.
I would personally only add Nova Prospekt to the list. Also offtopic-ing a little, why so many people hate the "Water Hazard" chapter ? I never really understood that, it was at least more enjoyable than the buggy section, IMO.

Also,
GET TO DA HOARSE BROTHAS IN ARMS !11!!

No Ravenholm ? ...........

a7d.gif
Ravenholm is a full location and an entire chapter, same with Nova Prospekt (except it's TWO chapters). Personally, I feel they're a little too big to be considered "moments", which is more like a scene or small sequence.

I actually ment the comments under the video, I mean... I haven't seen such a "spam" in a long time :D Well then, if it comes to the moments from Nova Prospekt I think that exploring the entire location was really atmospheric, especially Breen's talks and... mini bosses. Yes, they were my guilty pleasures in this game. ( ~ RUN FROM THE ANT-ILION GUAAARD ! ) Also now that I think about it, Entanglement would fit as a honourable mention, don't you think ? Its ending was quite suspenceful... even when that "plot twist" was predictable, it didn't ruined the moment for me and few people I know, tho :p

I actually ment the comments under the video, I mean... I haven't seen such a "spam" in a long time :D Well then, if it comes to the moments from Nova Prospekt I think that exploring the entire location was really atmospheric, especially Breen's talks and... mini bosses. Yes, they were my guilty pleasures in this game. ( ~ RUN FROM THE ANT-ILION GUAAARD ! ) Also now that I think about it, Entanglement would fit as a honourable mention, don't you think ? Its ending was quite suspenceful... even when that "plot twist" was predictable, it didn't ruined the moment for me and few people I know, tho :p
Entanglement has some important and really great moments, but it definitely has some of the weakest gameplay sections in all of Half-Life 2.

I really wish there was an honorable mention for the can scene from the early parts of Half-Life 2. It's quite literally every PC Gamer's baptism into PC Gaming.

Ravenholm is a full location and an entire chapter, same with Nova Prospekt (except it's TWO chapters). Personally, I feel they're a little too big to be considered "moments", which is more like a scene or small sequence.

Why not a Top 5 Chapters in Half-Life 2? :sneaky:

Last edited:
One of my most memorable moments was the train bridge. After finding out that I couldn't cross it on top, I kind of jokingly thought to myself "Well, I'm sure as hell not climbing down under it!............wait........ God damnit."
So I'm making my way across it and the tension is real. I'm like a first time tightrope walker on a high wire and then the combine get all up in my business and im just clinging on and hiding in the little shack. After opening the bridge, I get back on my buggy and start driving over it, jokingly think to myself "man this would be a bad time for a train to come" and then suddenly *Loud Train Horn* and after hitting my turbo, I swear I must have lost my side mirrors because that gap between the trains was so tiny.

Last edited:
Memories of Half life 2 seem really easy to just push off and say it was like a 5 hour game and we barely went to any places, but after watching a recent playthrough it's kind of shocking how many iconic places you go to and how much my brain just naturally wants to condense all those memories down and then try to undersell it to myself.

Back