BHC reviews: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
I'll be quick this time:

Assassin's Creed 4 builds upon the gameplay systems, charm and epic setpieces that made the franchise so damn well crafted in the first place. Maintaining and upgrading a ship is surprisingly well integrated with the usual Creed city-style gameplay.

Both the vast open ocean and bustling cities provide ample amusement for any type of gamer.

Edward charms audiences with his carefree attitude, the antithesis of the previous installment's Connor (who couldn't seem to get past his persistent anger and upset) - Edward loves what he does and never wears his Neuroses - though it is always very clear that he has a larger purpose.

Combat is refined and we finally, at long last, have free-aim while dealing with projectile weaponry. Swashbuckling with two swords is an absolute blast and boarding ships after raining mortar fire, chain shot and broadsides upon your enemy is a delght. The crew sings dynamically on long voyages, fights alongside you during vessel captures and cheers when you take the helm.

As usual, there's a lot to do - and along with that comes a main plotline that resembles a B action flick. The Abstergo sequences have been completely overhauled to better guide us through the meta-story without jarring us with hours of interruption. Though they're still as tacky as ever.

The abundance of follow/stalking "memories" are a bummer but are far more generous with checkpoints and feature more dynamic side objectives than prior titles. Obnoxious? Yes, but refined with a new targeting system and slew of gadgetry that make the segments at the very least more interesting.

All that being said, there's no one real reason to buy this game, but instead, a long list of lovely features Ubisoft Montreal seems to improve with every launch that make this Creed game a must.

Buy this game because it's a labor of love, pick it up because it's absolutely gorgeous and represents the type of AAA game that comes to PC without skipping a beat. Skip it if the famous Ezio trilogy did nothing for you.

Does it perform like a port on PC? I've always ran into performance hiccups with ACIII even though I have a pretty robust build.

On my PC I've noticed little to no performance drops, but I cannot speak towards your case as AC3 also ran just fine for me.

Back