Bioshock comes to Steam!

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my interest in Steam has just increased tenfold. In a press release from Valve's Doug Lombardi he says:

NEW YORK, NY, August 16, 2007 - Valve today announced that BioShock, the highly-anticipated and award-winning first-person shooter by 2K Games is available for pre-purchase now via Steam?. Starting today, gamers can pre-order BioShock on Steam (www.steamgames.com) for $49.95, and begin playing the moment the game is made available. [br]

One of the most anticipated games of 2007, BioShock is the "genetically enhanced" first person shooter that lets players do things never before possible in the genre - turn everything into a weapon, biologically modify your body with plasmids, hack devices and systems, upgrade weapons and craft new ammo variants, and experiment with different battle techniques. [br]

Gamers enter the game as a cast-away in Rapture, an underwater Utopia torn apart by civil war. Caught between powerful forces and hunted down by genetically modified "splicers" and deadly security systems, players have to come to grips with a deadly, mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. No encounter ever plays out the same and no two gamers will play BioShock the same way. [br]

"Over the next six months, gamers will be hit with a barrage of highly-anticipated titles," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "The lion's share of these great new releases will be PC games. And with the gameplay and graphic innovations featured in BioShock, it promises to be one of the most important games released in 2007."[br]

BioShock is currently scheduled to be available via Steam and at retail on August 21 in the U.S. and August 24 in Europe. For more information or to pre-purchase BioShock, please visit www.steamgames.com.
1187280905_bioshock-logo.gif
[br]

It may not be Episode Two but this is still bloody good news for gamers!

HOLY ****ING AWESOME

I didn't see that one coming, sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Holy crap! This news makes me deliberate on whether to keep on track with the 360 version or get it for PC.....

Anyways - holy awesome, batman.

Hmm..steam or hard copy. This is a hard decision.

Steam + Google OS = WIN

YEAAH! I am so happy now! *dances*

Preloading now!

It may not be Episode Two but this is still bloody good news for gamers!

I don't know about you but I liked System Shock 2 as much as HL1, and I have been waiting for sequel ever since. So, to me this is big event, and taken that we already have had HL2 and EP1 recently I am waiting for this more than for than EP2.

For those that need the little extra to nudge them to a purchase.

10% already, hogging all my bandwidth which is a good thing.

Finally a game that will rival Half-life 2's metacritic score in the steam list :p

**** YES **** YES **** YES!!! **** YES!

**** yes!

I'm seriously thinking about testing out my new graphics card with this. D:

I have already ordered the LE edition and it's a little bit cheaper than Steam, sadly.

It's good news though and hopefully the demo will appear on Steam sooner rather than later.

I don't care much for staggered release dates either :(

My biggest hope right now is that we would see the Bioshock PC demo on Steam before 24th. :)

$49.95. I can see where the money is going...and it's not to us.

$49.95. I can see where the money is going...and it's not to us.

If you think that's an unusually high price, you clearly have not bought many games during their first week of release recently.

I can tell the future. Yesterday as I was playing the demo with my friend, I said, "They should have signed up with Valve so they can release it on Steam. That'd be AWESOME."

And guess what, they did.

I'd rather have it for PC than 360... other games, like Eternal Sonata and Assassin's Creed I'd rather have for 360. But shooters... I want it on PC.

Now I can really put this 7900GS SLi system to test.

If you think that's an unusually high price, you clearly have not bought many games during their first week of release recently.

That's still a butt load of money, especially so for pre-order (most of the time you get like 10% off).

For an online distributed game, I think it is. I'm awaiting the day when developer (T2) and publisher (in this case, Valve) can get their cut of the pie AND pass the savings along to the customer. Apparently the saving of all the box/CD/literature of online distribution is 4 cents. I doubt that. I would consider server/bandwidth cost, but that's a sunk cost. Valve already paid for that whether Bioshock released or not.

I won't stay here for long as I am allergic to Steam and tend to suffocate if I'm exposed to it for too long, but... several years ago around the time of a certain game called Halflife 2, wasn't the primary pro Steam argument based on the fact that it was a delivery system that was cheaper than retail because it bypassed the publishers and packaging, not to mention the inconvenience of having to (god forbid) walk out the door to the nearest games shoppe?

so... why is Bioshock being sold on Steam at full retail price? Just curious. :thumbs:

so... why is Bioshock being sold on Steam at full retail price? Just curious. :thumbs:

Biologically modify your body: send fire storming from your fingertips and unleash a swarm of killer hornets hatched from the veins in your arms!

That's why.

Well, HL2 just had profits going to 1 company. Bioshock on steam goes to 2 companies. hmm idk

Well, HL2 just had profits going to 1 company. Bioshock on steam goes to 2 companies. hmm idk

Undoubtedly so, but then where is the benefit of preloading? And without the cost of packaging alone, somebody somewhere is making a tidy xtra bit o' profit out of those who seek to save money.

Also I don't envy all you'ze the second that game is released and 3 hundred billion people and their mum are trying to auth it via 1 groaning 486 Steam server. That's literally powered by steam.

kay gluck bye.

I was expecting it to come to Steam, when I picked up the pre-order box at GAME, it mentioned on the game specs that it requires internet for game activation. That and the fact 2K has an agreement with Valve

If anything, I'll get it later this year for the 360, because of achievement points :thumbs:

Nice, preloading it now. Was thinking just yesterday that it'd be nice if it was released on Steam! :)

I was expecting this since they announced the minimum system requirements (internet activation requirded)

now the question is: does it come "fully steamed" (ie: steam is required by both retail and dd versions) or does it work like trackmania:united (retail version uses starforce pro, the dd one authenticate through steam)?

now the question is: does it come "fully steamed" (ie: steam is required by both retail and dd versions) or does it work like trackmania:united (retail version uses starforce pro, the dd one authenticate through steam)?

Probably is like Lost Planet - Vista version needs Vista, XP version needs Steam.

What an unbelievably unintelligent response from a staffmember.

You cannot possibly suggest that offering the game for download through steam would warrant anywhere near the same cost as boxing and shipping it out to stores (including all the management behind this)?

I'm not saying I care, because I'm not getting the game anyway. But his question is valid, it should be cheaper.

Back