BLOOD FOR THE FATHERLAND

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Said the banner hanging from the front of our barracks.

I've gone and completed 6 weeks of preliminary and basic military education, and I just got out today. I was afraid I might wash out, and didn't mention it, but here I am.

One thing I've found out about the military is that a lot of things are ritualistic, some to the degree of being almost religious. For example, roll call is considered 'sacred' and they focus more on the form of the nightly and morning reports rather than what is actually reported. Every night, we would scream the Army Service Creed before going to sleep; "We are the loyal defenders of the Fatherland and the People", "We will defend Liberal Democracy and reunite the Fatherland" etc. etc. Focus is all on form rather than function -- I suppose that's meant to discipline us.

I had imagined the Army to be like in Full Metal Jacket; with the screaming drill sergeants and beatings. But the drill instructors never touched us (except on the firing ground). They simply ordered us to get on the ground and do push-ups or some other kind of regulation-friendly punishment. I suppose that's progress for you. Everyone was a volunteer, so everyone did what they were told to do. The ones that didn't want to dropped out, which I thought was stupid, since they were going to be conscripted anyway (although I suppose the enlisted man had less to worry about than officer candidates).

It was extremely cold -- it was the coldest winter in 55 years, and being in a mountainous region temperatures dropped more than 20 degrees below freezing in the night. The buildings were well heated, but that didn't matter if you had sentry duty outside. One time on sentry duty, I couldn't make the half-hour temperature report because the thermometer had broken due to the cold.

Rifle training was rather fun, but I had never expected military grade rifles to be this loud. It took some time getting used to the huge sounds they made every time I fired a shot. I got 80% accuracy at 250 meters in my test, so I suppose I did rather well. I hated the fact that we had to march for an hour with 35kg worth of gear (including packs that we never opened!) to get to the firing range every time we had to use our rifles.

The 30km march in full gear on my last day was what worried me the most. I didn't know if I could complete it, the packs being extremely heavy and the path mountainous and full of hills. It even snowed that day. But it was easier than I expected and the thought that I can get out the next day kept me marching without much complaint. I even boasted to the regiment commander that I could march all the way to Pyongyang if I got my hands on a Big Mac.

I suppose the GOP defense training was the most fun part of my training. We climbed in the trenches and wire defenses that were an exact model of the border in the DMZ and set claymores and threw grenades at imaginary communist invaders, firing blanks with our rifles at imaginary enemies coming over the wire.

I also learned that Army doctors aren't doctors. One time, I twisted my ankle and went to the infirmary. The doc took a look at it and told me that "All this foot needs is a lot of rest. But you can't get rest here, can you? So you have two choices -- keep a stiff upper lip and bear the pain, or get out." I ended up bearing the pain with some help from 3 pills of Tylenol a day. I was also told off by an instructor for limping; an officer should never appear weak, or so he claimed.

It was hell, these past few weeks. The cold, the fatigue, and the pain. I've learned a lot about pain -- all that you could ever want from it is for it to stop, that it doesn't make you stronger but only make things harder for you. My pain tolerance did go up a bit, and I'm in much better physical shape than I started out with. I now know how to utilize the rifle and bayonet in defense of my country. I'm more confident, and I've sobered up a bit about all the hogwash that is the eternal glory of the infantry -- war is something that should not happen, mostly because I'm not gonna carry a ****ing 40kg pack with rifle, ammunition, and gas mask and walk all the way to Pyongyang or maybe even Beijing. I'd rather die along the way, because that shit is so ****ing heavy.

In all, I've finally started on the path to becoming an officer. I have university stuff to worry about until the summer now (which now includes military science), and I won't go into the field until I graduate.

TL;DR: I now know how to defeat communists with a rifle and bayonet and throw grenades.

it's like stepping back in time to some fascist goosestepping utopia; in other words Disneyland for Fascists. I think you have us all fooled into thinking you're from south korea ;)

That reminds me; every time you go anywhere you have to the step and arm swinging the manual demands and be in formation with a group of other trainees. So yes. Fascist goosestepping utopia.

Congrats man! Ive always wanted to be in the military.

And my uncle, 30 year vet, once told me that pain and boredom were the two main aspects of military (infantry) life.

Enjoy

I'd love to try the military for 6 weeks, sounds fun and educational :)

Too bad in Canada it's 2 year tour or drop out.

The Army could never be liked Full Metal Jacket because they were Marines ;)

@Dog
It's actually around 4 years for me -- I just get to complete my university education first (along with the rest of officer training)

@Rakurai
Lol yeah. I'd never join the marines, because those goddamn bastards are crazy.

35kg is excessive, I refuse to believe your troops (especially since you guys are generally smaller) carry that much in real deployment. Maybe they were just overloading you for conditioning.

Possibly; 10kg was just dead weight in the form of a large sack of sand.

But I always assumed that that was supposed to be the ammunition we would carry.

35kg is excessive, I refuse to believe your troops (especially since you guys are generally smaller) carry that much in real deployment. Maybe they were just overloading you for conditioning.

Standard field load of the US Army/Marines is just north of 40kg.

Standard field load of the US Army/Marines is just north of 40kg.
Notice I said real deployment. Field manuals mandate a lot of shit that never happens. From ex-marines I've heard that 20-25 is the average.

Notice I said real deployment. Field manuals mandate a lot of shit that never happens. From ex-marines I've heard that 20-25 is the average.

I know that, but I'm saying that 35 kg is not much as training loads go.

I've sobered up a bit about all the hogwash that is the eternal glory of the infantry -- war is something that should not happen, mostly because I'm not gonna carry a ****ing 40kg pack with rifle, ammunition, and gas mask and walk all the way to Pyongyang or maybe even Beijing. I'd rather die along the way, because that shit is so ****ing heavy.

Laughed pretty hard at this.

Good to know you got out unscathed and learned some stuff. I've heard about basic training from people in a few different countries and the thing they always have in common is - as someone else already said - pain and boredom. Also freezing your nuts off.

99% of war is killing time. The other 1% is killing time.

It's hard to imagine going through any sort of Military training; NOT because of the work or pain, but because of the people I would be surrounded by. When I think about the possibility of being drafted, the thought of -that- depresses me almost more than anything. Being surrounded by groups of people that are so difficult to relate to, surrounded by hollow pride, overused jargon, with the expectation of YOU doing the same.

It's hard to imagine going through any sort of Military training; NOT because of the work or pain, but because of the people I would be surrounded by. When I think about the possibility of being drafted, the thought of -that- depresses me almost more than anything. Being surrounded by groups of people that are so difficult to relate to, surrounded by hollow pride, overused jargon, with the expectation of YOU doing the same.

Man up boy! You're living in America, home of the free! Now strap up and go put a five five six in that raghead parasite! Get some Marine!

I also imagine them being very racist.

I know quite a few people who are/have been/ will be in the military, and they are generally very normal people. Even if you come across strange ones, your relationship isn't necessarily one of friends but of a dependant; you are relying on him to watch your butt, and you're keep an eye on his butt. Lots of butt watching. And while the pride and jargon may undoubtedly be forced, it's all there to instil a localised morale (something I would assume is necessary to keep sane and on task in the midst of battle) and standardized communication, not to mention discipline.

Eh, if you're a conscript, I'd imagine that you can all find a common thought to relate to: "I don't want to be here!". :p We were all officer cadets, but we all were able to find common ground in the fact that bayonet training sucked and the temperature was too damn cold. The pain of the "right now" makes you focus on whatever you're doing, and you have no thoughts about "back in society".

Besides, I think a month of marching and singing in formation -- synchronous activities -- is actually supposed to give a sense of comradeship to said group. When you all synchronize, there is supposed to be some psychological reaction that makes you, literally, one of them. Whatever happens, you WILL BE MOTIVATED.

However, if you're one of those free spirited hippy types, I suppose the military is the last place you should end up in. For both yours and the military's sake. :p

In my case, I wasn't too attached to my unit, 1st Battalion, 1st Education Regiment. I didn't feel much pride that I was in the 1st because, lets face it, I didn't choose it, nor is it a unit of any importance -- simply a unit created for administrative reasons so that they can group us up for training. The XXXth Officer Training Corps, I feel more attachment because it's my unit filled with my friends and fellow students from my university. But my pride comes from the fact that I'm doing something, I'm giving back what I owe to the society that I live in and in a few years I'll be commanding a platoon of my own in the defense of my country and the last bastion of democracy in eastern Asia.

But mostly you're too tired or too filled with pain to think about stuff like that.

Mr. Numbers I don't always agree with your ideologies but you've always seemed like a genuinely good guy and I know this is something that has been a long term goal for you. For that I say congratulations on your accomplishment and good luck in the future. Plz don't murder my family.

I don't have a specialty yet. That unit was simply a something that was created for the sole purpose of giving Basic training to around 600 cadets.

I get to state my preferences when I get commissioned after I finish my military education. My preferences as of now would be 1. Armor, 2. Military police, 3. Infantry, 4. Artillery, 5. Anything that is not engineers or logistics :p Hopefully they don't draft me over to special forces or paratroopers, because I am seriously not fit enough.

@JFry

Aww, thanks. I'll try not to aim in your general direction. :p

Yeah I was watching a program on Korean SEAL winter training. They were running in the surf and..... man that sea looked so cold even I was crying.

Thanks for posting all this. Good read, and congrats for getting through it.

I'm giving back what I owe to the society that I live in and in a few years I'll be commanding a platoon of my own in the defense of my country and the last bastion of democracy in eastern Asia.
WTF... doesn't Japan count?

And why'd you pick infantry anyway? I figured gamers would fit better into more technical roles..

This is all good and well, but you should know we all hope your Stalinist country get raped in the next war they enter.

Back